Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Merged: LI on Nicad Charger Questions

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Re: Josh Feeback Please

    Originally posted by Josh View Post
    Ok.. heres your official response...

    "All Ridgid 18-Volt Lithium Ion batteries have been designed with redundant safety features that protect the battery during charging. As such, all Ridgid 18-Volt Lithium Ion Batteries may be safely charged on any existing Ridgid battery charger. Should you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact Ridgid Customer Service at 1-800-4-RIDGID."

    So no worries. Sorry I wasn't willing to answer this one on my own wanted a more official response.

    Josh
    Not so fast. How does that information reconcile with this email from Ridgid customer service?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here is a copy of the response that I received from Ridgid Tech Support regarding the dual port chargers presently on sale at HD. If you read the packaging, it states that it will charge all Ridgid batteries.
    "No, it sounds like you are describing one of the NiCad chargers, they were marketed like that long before the Lithium Ion series products came out. The only way I could say for sure is if you can provide the part number for the charger, which is on the serial number data plate on the charger.

    Lithium batteries require a charger with Lithium Ion battery chargering capability. NiCad chargers are not compatible with Lithium Ion batteries."

    Best regards,

    Tom C.
    Consumer Response
    One World Technologies, Inc.

    Now what do we do??????? Ray

    Comment


    • #47
      Re: Josh Feeback Please

      Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
      Not so fast. How does that information reconcile with this email from Ridgid customer service?
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Here is a copy of the response that I received from Ridgid Tech Support regarding the dual port chargers presently on sale at HD. If you read the packaging, it states that it will charge all Ridgid batteries.
      "No, it sounds like you are describing one of the NiCad chargers, they were marketed like that long before the Lithium Ion series products came out. The only way I could say for sure is if you can provide the part number for the charger, which is on the serial number data plate on the charger.

      Lithium batteries require a charger with Lithium Ion battery chargering capability. NiCad chargers are not compatible with Lithium Ion batteries."

      Best regards,

      Tom C.
      Consumer Response
      One World Technologies, Inc.

      Now what do we do??????? Ray
      Ray, I just put the brakes on again thanks to the above post. I have to admit I'm confused and disappointed again. I trust Josh told us exactly what they told him, but if that's wrong just like when they claimed the 1.5AH lithiums were 2.9 or something? I agree, Now what do we do??????

      Comment


      • #48
        Josh, Please Read!

        Sorry to bother you but Ray posted above in the Power Tool section something that goes against what you were told. Please make another attempt to get a more specific answer. Can we put those lithium batteries in "ANY" Ridgid charger such as the dual port I got with my five piece 18 volt nicad set? If he and others are right about that extra circuit, it must be there for a reason. Unless as you said Ridgid designed the lithiums with the thought in mind that some folks would put them in the older chargers? I'm confused....

        Comment


        • #49
          Re: Josh Feeback Please

          Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
          Not so fast. How does that information reconcile with this email from Ridgid customer service?
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Here is a copy of the response that I received from Ridgid Tech Support regarding the dual port chargers presently on sale at HD. If you read the packaging, it states that it will charge all Ridgid batteries.
          "No, it sounds like you are describing one of the NiCad chargers, they were marketed like that long before the Lithium Ion series products came out. The only way I could say for sure is if you can provide the part number for the charger, which is on the serial number data plate on the charger.

          Lithium batteries require a charger with Lithium Ion battery chargering capability. NiCad chargers are not compatible with Lithium Ion batteries."

          Best regards,

          Tom C.
          Consumer Response
          One World Technologies, Inc.

          Now what do we do??????? Ray
          Josh, I too agree with what Ray is saying. When myself and others were dealing with the 1.5ah-versus-2.9ah issue for the 18 volt LI batteries back in July/August, I was also informed similarly by Tom during my phone calls with him. That the LI batts could only be charged on specified LI chargers. And apparently Tom was the guy in the know. So, something's fishy somewhere.

          Josh, appreciate you digging for us. But again, a bit of a situation with 2 different sets of answers.

          Comment


          • #50
            Re: Josh Feeback Please

            Sorry guys.. I just communicated what the engineers sent me.

            I'll reconfirm the statement again tomorrow.

            Josh

            Comment


            • #51
              Re: Josh Feeback Please

              Don't you ever sleep??

              Comment


              • #52
                Re: Josh, Please Read!

                I'll try and find out more tomorrow. My guess is we designed the LI so that they are safe to put on the old chargers (safety measures).

                Franki, please quit posting a new thread every time you ask a question. Lets keep it in one thread. I don't want to have to post responses in 5 threads

                Lets keep this discussion to your original thread instead of all the Hey Josh and Hey Probrand threads.

                Josh

                Comment


                • #53
                  Re: Merged: LI on Nicad Charger Questions

                  Josh, sorry to have opened all those "Hey Josh" threads. I was trying to get your's or Probrands attention because it seemed like you might have been misinformed. I won't add to all this back and forth anymore since you said there would be a follow up and Ray seems better spoken anyway. I do think all the confusion between us in light of the good intentions only proves that Ridgid did not do enough to make this a simple process. I think all of us would rather know the correct and safe way to proceed than sit back, say and do nothing until a problem arises. Thanks for getting involved.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Re: Merged: LI on Nicad Charger Questions

                    I think it would be best to play this one on the side of safety and not charge any battery (regardless of brand) in any charger (any brand or type) unless the charger lists that battery either on it (label) or in the included instructions. It's just not worth taking any chances which may result in a fire, small explosion, personal injury or property damage/loss.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Re: Merged: LI on Nicad Charger Questions

                      Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                      I think it would be best to play this one on the side of safety and not charge any battery (regardless of brand) in any charger (any brand or type) unless the charger lists that battery either on it (label) or in the included instructions. It's just not worth taking any chances which may result in a fire, small explosion, personal injury or property damage/loss.
                      Woussko, your suggestion is smart and prudent. There are a few problems however such as the many folks who don't participate with this Forum. If there is a safety risk Ridgid should have either designed the lithiums not to fit the wrong chargers, or color coded them with the right chargers, or offered a exchange of some kind. How about guys like Ray who run a business with multiple employees and a large number of assorted batteries and chargers, he would have to take extrodinary measures to prevent such a mix up. There is still the element of human error since the batteries fit all chargers.When I was a Telephone Lineman we had guys put straight gasoline into chainsaws and ruin the engines. One guy even put gasoline into a diesel truck! The best ending to all this concern would be to hear from Josh that he was correctly informed and that those lithiums can be safely charged in Any charger. If however that is not the case I believe it is just a matter of time before a homeowner or Pro suffers the consequences.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Re: Merged: LI on Nicad Charger Questions

                        Hello everyone. To sum up:

                        The statement from the engineers is to alleviate the concern of hazards. The statement by customer service is correct in that it speaks to "compatibility." While the lithium ion batteries will charge in the older chargers, the led lights will not function properly. Rather than go solid state to show a full charge, the led will just turn off. For that reason, customer service advises using a lithium ion charger.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Re: Josh Feeback Please

                          Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                          Ray, in Bob's defense he was probably referring to guys like myself who use their Ridgid tools for home or casual use.[ Bob D. No, I mean anyone who does not follow the instructions. A DIY or HO can be killed or injured just as easily as the Pro (who sometimes knows just a little too much to have to read the stinking manual] When you described the number and range of batteries and chargers you guys use for work I was impressed and truly concerned. Most homeowners or DIY'ers can't appreciate what the Pro is up against and you gave a vey good example of how big a problem this is. Maybe I'm wrong but I really think Bob was just saying we all need to take more responsibility in general.[Bob D. you are correct, that was my intent] Bottom line like I said earlier, please do whatever it takes to reduce the risk of confusion. Come on Ridgid, we have a serious situation out there. Please don't drag your feet and wait for a tragedy.
                          I'm referring to anyone who operates a tool without following the instructions and if that offends some of you sorry.

                          Asking for a clarification on how you can use the older chargers originally designed only for Ni-Cads is one thing but to say that RIDGID or any manufacturer is creating a safety hazard because they don't tell you you can charge any battery in their older model chargers just does not make sense. Especially when you consider that when the earlier chargers came out they did not even offer a Li-Ion battery so how could they include information on charging batteries that did not exist at the time? As far as questioning if the new Li-Ion chargers can handle the older Ni-Cad batteries that is a valid question if its not addressed in their manual.

                          On the subject of bullying any person in particular I an sorry that you mistook my general comments about people who are too lazy to read the instructions as directed at only you. Obviously if you do as you say then my comments don't apply to you and you can ignore them or get all hot and bothered if that's what you want, I don't care. This is a forum and I have every right to make my opinion known just as you have the right to accuse RIDGID of creating a safety hazard by not answering your (and other peoples) questions as fast as you would like. It's OK if RIDGID is threatened by forum members with being non-responsive or doing something that is unsafe but not for me to say that someone who does not read the manual is acting in an unsafe manner? I fail to follow the logic here if there is any.
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Re: Merged: LI on Nicad Charger Questions

                            Bob D., I was glad to read your reply to the recent events. Of course there is a level of personal responsiblity associated with this issue, just as I feel there is a resposibility on the part of Ridgid to do what they can within reason to create a safe product. Probrand's post puts myself and others at ease that there is no fire or explosion hazard when using the older charger/lithium battery. I think we can all rest a little better knowing that the less informed or more hurried using these products are safe as well. I appreciate and thank Josh, Probrand, Ray, Bob D and everyone who posted on this thread for their input, concerns and ability to disagree without the typical Internet behavior of profanity, and threats.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Re: Merged: LI on Nicad Charger Questions

                              ProBrand - thanks for the clarification. Glad to hear that some sort of safety redundancy has been built in / thought about. I myself will stick with my gut and continue to charge LI batteries on LI chargers (those marked on the data plates as compatible chargers). I just don't want to take even a slight risk - if the LED lights don't work quite correctly, what's to say there couldn't be another short that could be caused somewhere, besides in the battery. The risk is mainly mine. An automaker can make a safer car, but if I don't drive it correctly...

                              But no matter, the research and clarification is much appreciated.

                              Josh, ProBrand - our thanks again. Now get on the bigwigs about the radio and the 12 volt lithium-ion pocket driver!

                              Cheers, boys.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Re: Josh Feeback Please

                                Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                                I'm referring to anyone who operates a tool without following the instructions and if that offends some of you sorry.

                                Asking for a clarification on how you can use the older chargers originally designed only for Ni-Cads is one thing but to say that RIDGID or any manufacturer is creating a safety hazard because they don't tell you you can charge any battery in their older model chargers just does not make sense. Especially when you consider that when the earlier chargers came out they did not even offer a Li-Ion battery so how could they include information on charging batteries that did not exist at the time? As far as questioning if the new Li-Ion chargers can handle the older Ni-Cad batteries that is a valid question if its not addressed in their manual.

                                On the subject of bullying any person in particular I an sorry that you mistook my general comments about people who are too lazy to read the instructions as directed at only you. Obviously if you do as you say then my comments don't apply to you and you can ignore them or get all hot and bothered if that's what you want, I don't care. This is a forum and I have every right to make my opinion known just as you have the right to accuse RIDGID of creating a safety hazard by not answering your (and other peoples) questions as fast as you would like. It's OK if RIDGID is threatened by forum members with being non-responsive or doing something that is unsafe but not for me to say that someone who does not read the manual is acting in an unsafe manner? I fail to follow the logic here if there is any.
                                See the problem is cyber bullies just don't understand. There can be an intelligent discussion going on with civility and congeniality on the part of all parties. From the safety of the internet they like to jump in to a discussion and throw their weight around with tough talk and emotionaly charged words and phrases like "stupid", "coddle those to lazy", "take it on the chin like a man". Their rude input adds nothing of importance to the discussion of course. But the bully who is exemplified by his signature Military Hummer feels real manly because he's verbaly slapped around all those he feels are inferior to him. He's happy becuase thats all that is important to him. It confirms his tough guy image of himself.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X