X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merged: LI on Nicad Charger Questions

Hi Josh, a week or so ago I asked if you could bring to Ridgid's attention the potential for personal injury resulting from charging the lithium batteries in standard nicad chargers. I remember you replying that you would forward this information or concern. Since we still have folks looking at and buying these batteries from Home Depot and asking if they can use the old nicad chargers because there is no information or warning on the batery to the contrary, I was wondering if Ridgid will ask Home Depot to post warnings or add stickers on the battery packaging with the warning. Ridgid still has a good opportunity to avoid serious risk to the consumer by taking this simple step. I understand it must be a massive task to get the word out, but if I'm right from reading these forums it is a task well worth doing. Thanks for your time and patience.

Re: Josh Feeback Please

Reply coming shortly.. I forward this on will be posting a response soon.

Comment

Probrand, Everyone Wins?

I'm not a business man so please ignore my suggestion if it doesn't make sense. I've asked Josh to contact Ridgid regarding the hazards associated with charging the lithium batteries in nicad only chargers and suggested warnings be posted either near or on the lithium batteries to prevent injuries. My request to you is a win for Ridgid and a win for Ridgid cordless tool owners. Like many of us who own the pre-lithium 18 volt tools and chargers, I would like to purchase one or two of the newer 3.0 18volt lithium batteries, but my charger is not designed for them and at present time I can't afford the added expense of buying another drill just to get the proper charger. How about an exchange program conducted through Home Depot? We bring in our older charger and get the upgraded lithium ready charger, even exchange. Before you laugh yourself sick, consider the upside for Ridgid? Ridgid gets all those older unsafe for lithium chargers out of circulation, thus preventing injuries and related lawsuits. Ridgid also stimulates sales for their 18 volt lithium batteries now that everyone who makes the exchange has the charger they finally need. Thanks for your time.
      P.S., I would be willing to be the first candidate to try this exchange program if Ridgid decides to do it either through Home Depot, mail or freight. Just say the word and I'll wrap it up and send it off.

Comment

Probrand, Everyone Wins!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not a business man so please ignore my suggestion if it doesn't make sense. I've asked Josh to contact Ridgid regarding the hazards associated with charging the lithium batteries in nicad only chargers and suggested warnings be posted either near or on the lithium batteries to prevent injuries. My request to you is a win for Ridgid and a win for Ridgid cordless tool owners. Like many of us who own the pre-lithium 18 volt tools and chargers, I would like to purchase one or two of the newer 3.0 18volt lithium batteries, but my charger is not designed for them and at present time I can't afford the added expense of buying another drill just to get the proper charger. How about an exchange program conducted through Home Depot? We bring in our older charger and get the upgraded lithium ready charger, even exchange. Before you laugh yourself sick, consider the upside for Ridgid? Ridgid gets all those older unsafe for lithium chargers out of circulation, thus preventing injuries and related lawsuits. Ridgid also stimulates sales for their 18 volt lithium batteries now that everyone who makes the exchange has the charger they finally need. Thanks for your time.
        P.S., I would be willing to be the first candidate to try this exchange program if Ridgid decides to do it either through Home Depot, mail or freight. Just say the word and I'll wrap it up and send it off.

Comment

Re: Probrand, Everyone Wins?

Frank.....Just got off the phone with the current president of Home Depot(the guy who is responsible for hiring all the unknowlegable HD tool guys so he can get a $100 million dollar golden parachute when he bails). He asked me if you were insane. I said I didn't know for sure but suggested he might review the..um..er..New Tool suggestion's you submitted to this site around the holidays. Said he would have the corporate attorneys take a look.
          In the mean time he continued on in what I can only describe as a little bit of a rant. Not really you know, after all he is a member of the executive class, but you could tell the man was a little exercised. Said something about you not having a true appreciation for the workings of capitalism. Explained that they have all these masses of Chinese workers that are now up to $1 per hour with the jobs that were taken from Americans who didn't want them. Anyway these Chinese are busily turning out Lithium Ion chargers by the hundreds of thousands and they must be sold at full profit to pay these Chinese so they can move up the economic scale...and ...and..(I could hear him getting a little excited here Frank!) and provide the ongoing necessary contribution to the upper level executive Golden Parachute program.
          I pointed out your very viable concern with the possibility of legions of faithfull Ridgid tool customers being maimed or worse due to this issue of battery charger confusion. (I swear Frank he was becoming apopolectic at this point) He very forcefully asked me if I had any idea what the huge department of company lawyers was for. Went on to explain that they were kept on the staff just for such difficult and unforseen circumstances. After all they had to have something to do when they were not negotiating new Golden Parachute deals for him.
          So Frank, I think your idea is great but based on that phone conversation I would not hold out much hope.
          PS-Don't worry...When he asked me if I knew where you lived, I told him I didn't maintain information on crazy people. He actually chuckled at that Frank. Thinking we had made a connection on some level I asked him if there was any way good Ridgid customers might be able to participate in the...you know..the Golden Parachute thing. He slams the phone very hard Frank....Ray

Comment

Ray, thanks for trying but I decided on my own fix for this problem. I purchased one of the 3.0AH 18 volt lithiums tonight and plan to place it in my old Ridgid twin charger which will be on my wife's night stand. I will be sleeping in a separate bedroom for as long as it takes to either explode or catch fire. She has been a good wife, but I am willing to make a personal sacrifice to help others. I would sleep next to the exploding fire ball of a charger myself, but she would not know how to proceed with the lawsuit and all. I'm sure Ridgid will eventually settle with me for several million dollars, all they have to do is raise the price on one of those kits a few dollars. Make room guys, my golden parachute is about to catch air.

Comment

Re: Josh Feeback Please

Good call, Frank. Thanks for passing this on, Josh. It's a pretty hot topic right now.

Comment

This whole charger thing is really annoying and I can appreciate the frustration from a lot of people. Milwaukee currently has a universal charger(both single and multibay) that can charge 12 and 18 volt Nicad as well as the V18 and V28 lithium. Guys using the 18 volt Nicad tools only had to buy a battery pack with the charger included in order to update their old tools. Or, if keeping some old and buying some new, could used the same charger(but obviously couldn't use 18 volt in a 28 volt tool and vice versa but able to charge either in the same charger).

Now, I use the Milwaukee V28 set and love it. I bought the Ridgid MaxSelect stuff(to supplement the tool set with the jigsaw, planer, etc.) and had the 24 volt batteries for power. When the compact drill deal came out, I got that instead, but I don't like the funny hum that the charger makes, as well as the fact it is supposedly a dual charger. The 24 lithium charger was great, but not applicable to anything but the 24 volt. So if you want a choice of 2 batteries(i.e. you get an 18 volt lithium for light jobs and the 24 volt for heavy stuff) you gotta lug around 2 chargers as well....WTF???

Anyway.....kudos to Ridgid for having some tool choices I can't get from Milwaukee, but I'm still trying to figure which was to go battery-wise because of the charger issue.

And obviously, so are a lot of other people.......
                I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Good call boys, Frank and Ray. I bow down to your supreme posts. Hear ye, hear ye!

PS - Good call with the wife's nightstand trick. I think I just found my rabbit-in-the-hat for my emergency exit strategy.

Comment

I'd be very, very careful about anything denegrating towards women Frank and Canuck. Thanks to the evesdropping (some call it citizen spying)system old king George had installed, president Hillary will have copies of these communications somewhere in Homeland Security for review by rabid feminists before Bill can smoke his first cigar. Based on his own writings I see Frank quickly on his way to Guantamano. Canuck, I know you feel all smug and safe now, but old pres Hillary might just be looking around for a country to invade....to...you know.... show that she's got the same stuff as the boys!!!

Comment

Re: Probrand, Everyone Wins!

Frank I agree with your idea but maybe it should be bundled with the new 3ah batteries. Mail in rebate would work buy the batteries and get the rebate form for the new charger.

Just an Idea
                      Bill

Comment

Ray, no offense to the beautiful "Institution" of marriage" but after twenty five years of it Prison would be a step up. I live in Ct and I've had my fill of the Winters so sending me South would also be a good deal. The way I see it I can't lose either way. I also feel I'm on my way to "Thread Of The Year 08", that is as long as there won't be too many women voting.

Comment

Hey, if Hillary wins I say we invade Mexico! Then we would have to get border defense. As a show of force we nuke France. I would volunteer to go undercover with some pretty Mexican woman, live near the beach and gather useful information. Hey, I can dream.

Comment

Re: Probrand, Everyone Wins!

Bill, you propose another good idea. I know there are folks who have a charger that will work for them and just buy the batteries, my concern is to remove the risk of using the wrong charger altogether. However Ridgid decides to resolve this situation is ultimately up to them but I sure hope they see a way to make it right. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
                              I'd be very, very careful about anything denegrating towards women Frank and Canuck. Thanks to the evesdropping (some call it citizen spying)system old king George had installed, president Hillary will have copies of these communications somewhere in Homeland Security for review by rabid feminists before Bill can smoke his first cigar. Based on his own writings I see Frank quickly on his way to Guantamano. Canuck, I know you feel all smug and safe now, but old pres Hillary might just be looking around for a country to invade....to...you know.... show that she's got the same stuff as the boys!!!
                              LOL, ah Ray - you'd be a fun fella to have a beer with.

Speaking of beer, Mrs. President Clinton II would be damned if she tried to attack me! Ha, ha, ha - I would challenge her to our Canadian war ritual...drunken pick-up scrimmage hockey. For every goal your team scores, you take a drink. For every goal you get scored on, you take a shot. (Needless to say, very rarely do games stay in single-digit scores, and more rarely are games able to get into triple-digit scores also!)

No worries Ray - I always have The Wife to answer to. And I know if Mrs. Clinton gave her a call (or Gloria Steinem, or even Anne Coulter for that matter), I would be in deep do-do.

Comment

Working...
                              X