X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job Site Resource Links

Ok folks. I am building another resources to help the community out. Not an official project but I think it has some value especially after seeing so many links posted here that get buried after a day or two.

I am attaching a mockup of a site so you get the idea. I need some help on the initial categories to put up. The basic idea is allowing the community to post links to resources they have found on the web and collect them all in one place. So lets say their are discussions on code guidelines and a few links are thrown around. It would be more beneficial to have those links organized and categorized in a single place. hence jobsitelinks.com (not live yet)

Heres what I have for categories so far.

Plumbing
    Drain Cleaning
    Construction
    Woodworking
    Tool Manufacturers
    Power Tools
    Forums
    Tool Shopping
    Just For Fun
    Codes / Laws
    Online Calculators
    DIY (home improvement)

Please make any other recommendations for categories we should start out with.

Heres the mockup image.
    Attached Files

Re: Job Site Resource Links

How about a category for supplies i.e., sandpaper, cabinet hardware, driver bits, screws, etc.............
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

good idea

steve
      In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Info on the "nuts n' bolts" of anything from fluid dynamics to thermal properties:

Engineering ToolBox

Legal, uniform commercial code (gooood luck!):

Uniform Commercial Code

Forms/templates for Microsaoft office (I use Excel for work orders & estimates):

Download free templates for Microsoft Office products - Microsoft Office Online

Conversion calculator (mainly BTU's to Watts for me when figuring estimated costs of electric vs gas):

Energy Conversion - Online Unit Converter

Comment

Josh, great idea again

I look forward to this
          The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

I'm trying to get this up soon. Soooo much going on

Comment

I must admit, I really like what your doing here.
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I like the idea as well but not surprisingly, I'm a little confused

Who is doing the actual posting of the links? are we sending them to Josh to add or do we do the posting??

If it's the later then what's going to keep the spam artists from adding their own links?

I can see some of the categories running hundreds of links within a matter of months. What's to keep them organized?

I have a few bookmarks I'd like to submit too

Comment

Great idea Josh,

I too can see this growing and as already expressed, I can see some concerns for spammers too, as well as links that may be duplicated or short lived. But, despite those perceived challenges, I can see this being a great reference for all of us.

Thanks,

CWS

Comment

So heres how it will work.

- The links are all community submitted with descriptions that we will use to search on to start out with. (There will be a submit form on the site)

- Each submission will be approved before displayed publicly. (screened based on same rules as forum content.

- We will also use tags to organize these links. So lets say you put up a link that has woodworking plans, and woodworking tips. 3 words will be pulled out of that. "woodworking" "plans" "tips" so when anyone searches for a combination of those terms the link will get listed.

- I plan on putting a rating system into place as well.

- and as always we will allow links to competitors product and sites
                    Last edited by Josh; 02-05-2008, 08:10 PM.

Comment

here is one for the plumbers, wood workers, and other trades, plus there is a real good forum on here to boot, i hope you all enjoy the link......

http://www.ridgid.com/
                      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I would like to see Green Building category, which is resources on energy saving, recycled materials, environmental friendly products. This is going to be the way, most homes will be built in the near future. No I'm not a tree hugger, just more aware these days and an area I'm thinking about getting more into.
                        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Good idea garager. I'll add that to the list.

Comment

What having a "flagging system" similar to Craig's list? For example, 5 people flag a link for being inappropiriate or spam then it get's sent to you(Josh) for his final review. This way, he doesn't have to review every single link, just the ones that we(the forum) deem inappropriate.

Josh, looks great and whatever Ridgid is paying you, it's not enough. Thank you.
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I figure it will be a big influx the first few days but after that it wont be as hard to check the links out. I may also put the option to report links as well.

Josh

Comment

Working...
                              X