Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

please try to explain this phenomenon to this poor confused gopher!!!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please try to explain this phenomenon to this poor confused gopher!!!

many many years ago...when dinosaurs roamed the earth....EG was at USMC recon school....knot tying was a big thing....we had to wear a repelling rope with us at all times...and practice knot tying during breaks...I was never great at it...but managed to pass with a lot of effort.

Sooooo can someone PLEASE EXPLAIN to me.....how come I can set a rolled up extension cord neatly in a truck compartment.....or set down a rolled up garden hose on a shelf....or set down my MP3 player head phones....or set down some tie down straps....and when I go to pick them up they have more knots....and in some cases knots that would have impressed and eagle scout or my old recon school instructors....knots that take me hours to un-tie and untangle....its like freaking magic!!

please try to explain this phenomenon to this poor confused gopher!!!

Re: please try to explain this phenomenon to this poor confused gopher!!!

Can't explain those other thing but will show you a better way to roll extention cords.

1. plug both ends into each other
    2. tie a loose overhand knot
    3. what it should look like, left hand holds knot
    4. hold cord with both hands and bring right hand under knot being held by left hand
    5. hold tangled mess with right hand and reach through loop and grab cord

to be continued
    Attached Files
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

1. after reaching through loop with your left hand and grabbing cord, pull some excess out. your right hand is keeping tension on cord
      2. what it should look like
      3. bring right hand to left hand and repeat process until almost done
      4. when almost done;hold about 16" of cord in right hand and knot in left hand
      5. bring right hand w/ cord to left hand which is still holding knot

to be continued....
      Attached Files
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

1. this is what the last knot should look like holding everything together.
        2. upclose pic
        3. me w/ a 75' cord. it won't tangle and you can fold it upto save space. while you're rolling this up, you're not holding a heavy cord on your arm.

But how do you untangle all this?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by gear junkie; 02-07-2008, 10:43 PM.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

So this is what gov't plumbers do all day to pass the time?!

Take 1 hour to wrap up an extension cord, and another to un-wrap it!
          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

1. hold the end loop w/ your right hand and knot in the left hand.
            2. see pic 3, this is what it should look like
            3. back to pic 2, back the end loop out of the first knot you come to but not any further
            4. this is what it should look like. pull loop and all the knots will come undone. unplug the 2 ends and good to go.

your cords also won't get that damaged twisted look and they won't get tangled anymore

hope this helps and it's fustrating at first but once you get the hang of it, you can roll a 75' cord in under a minute.
            Attached Files
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
              So this is what gov't plumbers do all day to pass the time?!

Take 1 hour to wrap up an extension cord, and another to un-wrap it!
              (talk like yoda)Ah, young grasshopper, much to learn you do. Still ways of the plumber you know not. Mouth need closed to learn. Hmmm, hmmm.
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Great Ben! You just showed him how to crochet his extension cords
                I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Guys, I'm in fear for my life.
                  Look at pic #2 on post #2...he's about to strangle someone.
                  He's mean...look at the expression...hhheeeelllp

Comment

I used to tie my 10 guage construction cords for years.I finally realized that it sometimes made them combersome to pack and work with,especially when it's cold out.Now that I roll them in 4' coils giving them a 1/2 turn on each to maintain the uniformity of the wire inside the sheeth.They are not as unruly.Also each cord has a mini-bungee tied permanantly to the mail end to keep them to themselves.In hindsight I was doing an image thing following what other workers were doing.

Comment

http://video.about.com/interiordec/W...nsion-Cord.htm

velcro ties,
                      http://www.google.com/products?sourc...=1&sa=N&tab=wf
                      Last edited by BHD; 02-08-2008, 12:30 AM.
                      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      attributed to Samuel Johnson
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Here is a solution for the earbuds.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ObKL11A4W0U
                        A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

There was a study just done on this.
                          http://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/newsrel/sci...yPuzzleSS-.asp
                          more info
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knot_theory

Comment

Ive been doing my cords and hoses like this for about 10 years.

Comment

I call it "Theorems of Flex". Similar to Newton's Laws:

An object is never at rest, therefore always in motion. (We ARE spinning uncontrollably around a star folks) (Also, since there isn't a reference point in space that can be considered "at rest", therefore it is impossible to elimiate motion)

If said object is flexible (In this case a cord), then object, while in motion, will always flex, unless an equal and opposing force is enacted on it.

If object onto itself is completely flexible while in motion, it will flex completely onto itself.
                              (Hence it self-tangles)

Like any theorem, please disprove any of them.

On a side note, I like to call this one "Shroedinger's Christmas Lights"

When a string of Christmas Lights are placed into a container, that is incapable of being heard when shaken, unable to feel counter vibration, or seen through, they cease to exist and remain non-existant until said container is opened, however in a changed state due to disconnect from time and space.

So what do we have? Bottom line:
                              A cord in motion, that flexes onto itself, and will do so until the material reaches maximum tension, then disappears from time and space when put away, causing it to bypass laws of mass and matter, thus allowing it to change physical properties. Finally returns to us in unimaginable forms, states, and shapes at time of retrieval when needed.

But what do I know? I'm just a dumb electrical apprentice.
                              Last edited by tailgunner; 10-20-2009, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X