X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjustable wrench question

I am looking at getting some new adjustable wrenches. I have a few questions.

What is the best adjustable wrench you have owned/used?

Brands that I am considering are Snap-On, Mac, Craftsman, & Ridgid.

I own bad adjustable wrenches and I am tired of them. I use 6", 8", 10" daily.
    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Re: Adjustable wrench question

I used Ridgid for many years on the job and was very satisfied with how well they held up. I would say any of the brands you mentioned should give you years of service, so it comes down to price and warranty.

Comment

Please see the picture and if it's of the type you are looking for, I would recommend J.H. Williams (new older stock), Armstrong or Proto if you can find them in your area. You'll need to find either a serious tool dealer or an industrial supply company. Crescent which is owned by Cooper Industries is a leader of such wrenches, but I feel we pay for the name more than the tool. There are too many that are made in China anymore and I try to go only for German or USA if I can.

As for Mac, MATCO or Snap-on, I would keep away. You are paying a huge dealer fee to cover the cost of his fancy truck and more.

The older Craftsman which were basic chrome plated tool steel have been good for the price and especially when on sale.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Woussko; 02-09-2008, 05:05 PM.

Comment

For the most part my 6"-12" adjustable wrenches have always been Cresent although I do have a really old Proto 24" adjustable wrench which doesn't get used much anymore. However, I just recently purchased a Ridgid wide mouth adjustable wrench which seems well built and meant for a plumber.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Sorta what Mark said.

They're sorta hard to get ahold of(got ya a link), but I LOVE my 2 - 6" Ridgid Wide Mouth Adjustable Wrenches. They're so nice because they're the size for a 6" Wrench with the Mouth or 'Width' if you will of a 8" wrench.

http://www.toolsdirect.com/index.cfm.../finish/Chrome

I'll make ya a deal like Rick does, if you buy them, and don't LOVE them, I'll buy them from ya.
          Last edited by Aaron91; 02-09-2008, 05:30 PM.
          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Check the opening of most good brands and you'll see that a good many have wider capacity than they used to. For a 6" size a capacity of 15/16" is now the normal. For a 10" size it would be 1-5/16" now. This is nice as you don't need a huge wrench to fit the fastener.

If you can find the RIDGID ones in local stock then by all means check them out. Whatever brand and size, do check the opening capacity of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
              Sorta what Mark said.

They're sorta hard to get ahold of(got ya a link), but I LOVE my 2 - 6" Ridgid Wide Mouth Adjustable Wrenches. They're so nice because they're the size for a 6" Wrench with the Mouth or 'Width' if you will of a 8" wrench.

http://www.toolsdirect.com/index.cfm.../finish/Chrome

I'll make ya a deal like Rick does, if you buy them, and don't LOVE them, I'll buy them from ya.
              Plus the jaws are tapered and the wrench is graduated.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...table+Wrenches

This is what I use, 6 and 10". The scale is perfect for finding sizes on small items.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Cresent

Proto

and I have a few new Stanley locking (works some what like a vice grip, less range) it is great to use as a back up wrench or some place where you do not want it slip off and drop,
                  http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-85-610.../dp/B00009OYGZ
                  there are not a use ever day type wrench but in some places there great,
                  Attached Files
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I'm not even sure if they're made any longer but I've had one each 8", 10" and 12" adjustable wrenches made by Diamond for more years than I can remember. They all work as well today as they did the day I got them.
                    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Well, it looks like I am going to buy the Ridgid. You guys talked me into it. Actually, Ridgid was last on my short list because of my embarassing shop vac incidents but hey, you guys are good salesmen.

Second question- Does that plastic dip coating stuff work well? http://www.plastidip.com/
                      I like my handle on a 6" to be coated.
                      Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

I heard that sh it is junk, but do not have any first hand experience with it.

You shouldn't loose your grip with that wrench unless you get your hands wet from your own leaks. Just kidding, but even then you should be fine.

Remember, my deal with you is still on.
                        Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

If you"re still looking at wrenchs take gander at the new "Irwin Vice GripQuick Adjustable Wrenches" They are the best I have ever owned. Rubberized handle and the best size and locking mechanism yet.
                          Also I have used Plastigrip on allot of bessey clamps and other wood type handles. Works great if you use slow steady dip. (5 sec/inch) My gripe is as the can gets used up the dipping depth ids naturally reduced, almost need to replenish the level with a second can to maintain the depth. Found if you strectch electrical tape around the lid tightly when finished you will greatly extendits shelf life. Also was wonder if there are any suitable thinners for it as it does thicken after opening.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                            I'm not even sure if they're made any longer but I've had one each 8", 10" and 12" adjustable wrenches made by Diamond for more years than I can remember. They all work as well today as they did the day I got them.
                            Diamond today is part of Cooper Industries. Anymore they are mostly Farrier tools and horse shoes which is what they started out making many years back. I don't see any wrenches in their line anymore. Cooper has a good many other tool names and my bet is for adjustable wrenches they are content to stay with Crescent. I remember Diamond adjustable wrenches and own one or two chain wrenches of that brand name.

http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brands/diamond/index.cfm

Here's some info on Crescent brand adjustable wrenches with rubber grip handles if anyone is interested. Please see attachment file.

UPDATE: I see some adjustable wrenches under the Xcelite name too and they are part of Cooper.

Xcelite Info: http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brands/xcelite/index.cfm

Crescent Info: http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brand...cent/index.cfm
                            Last edited by Woussko; 02-12-2008, 08:11 AM.

Comment

personally, i would go for crescent or irwin..

Comment

Working...
                              X