Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forum Formating and Functionality

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Forum Formating and Functionality

    While waiting for the new version of the forum to come out I am taking suggestions on adjusting the layout of the forum. Does anyone have a suggestion on moving stuff around to make it easier to read.

    Does anyone have some functionality they would love to see on the forum that isnt here? I hope version 3.7 of the forum software will be out in the next month or so. That will be a huge facelift and upgrade.

    Josh

  • #2
    Re: Forum Formating and Functionality

    Josh

    Please make up sections for Hand Tools and also for Shop Vac related issues. They end up cluttering up other areas where they really don't belong.

    I really would like to see a special area where people that actually do work for Ridgid or TTI would address problems. This would be related to only Ridgid products and it would be good to have sections like this. 1. Plumbing Tools and Machinery, 2. Drain Cleaning, 3. Stationary and Bench Top Woodworking Machinery, 4. Hand Held Power Tools

    Please let us members be able to setup default settings (more of them) for Private Messages. Zeljka (Mrs. WC) brought this up and I like her suggestions.

    My last request is that if a members makes up a new thread please allow this member to be able to remove it within a given time frame. Sometimes we just goof and want to make it long gone right after posting it. This would apply mostly if we mess things up. I also think it would be wise if the IT team did some cleaning up of the forum. Why trash up the hard drives on your server(s) with totally worthless data? I know this is very different when you have a Tetrabite of storage and I remember when back in DOS days we thought a 20 MB hard drive was wonderful.
    Last edited by Woussko; 02-21-2008, 09:33 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Forum Formating and Functionality

      When you click on the "Construction Discussion Forum" it should bring you to another page that should look something like this...

      Category.......................................... ..............Time/Date/Who/Name of Thread Title


      General Residential Construction Topics............................................ ..............................Time/Date/Etc

      Framing........................................... ..................................Time/Date/Etc

      Trim Work.............................................. ............................Time/Date/Etc

      Siding/Windows/Doors............................................. ........

      Drywall/Taping............................................ ...................

      Flooring.......................................... ...............................

      Painting/Papering & Finishing......................................... ......

      Excavation & Site Work.............................................. ........

      Roofing........................................... ................................

      Masonry........................................... ................................

      Decks/Fences/Sheds............................................. ............

      Landscaping Construction...................................... ..............

      Blue Print Reading........................................... .....................

      Commercial Construction...................................... ................

      You get the meaning for the right hand side, last post, time, date, who, thread title.....
      When you click on the left hand column, it'll open up all the threads, click on the right hand column, it'll just open only the last thread/topic that was posted.


      I suppose this is too much, eh........
      Last edited by garager; 02-21-2008, 10:55 AM.
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

      http://www.contractorspub.com

      A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Forum Formating and Functionality

        Originally posted by Woussko View Post
        Josh

        Please make up sections for Hand Tools and also for Shop Vac related issues. They end up cluttering up other areas where they really don't belong.

        I really would like to see a special area where people that actually do work for Ridgid or TTI would address problems. This would be related to only Ridgid products and it would be good to have sections like this. 1. Plumbing Tools and Machinery, 2. Drain Cleaning, 3. Stationary and Bench Top Woodworking Machinery, 4. Hand Held Power Tools

        Please let us members be able to setup default settings (more of them) for Private Messages. Zeljka (Mrs. WC) brought this up and I like her suggestions.

        My last request is that if a members makes up a new thread please allow this member to be able to remove it within a given time frame. Sometimes we just goof and want to make it long gone right after posting it. This would apply mostly if we mess things up. I also think it would be wise if the IT team did some cleaning up of the forum. Why trash up the hard drives on your server(s) with totally worthless data? I know this is very different when you have a Tetrabite of storage and I remember when back in DOS days we thought a 20 MB hard drive was wonderful.
        All good suggestions, I especially like the idea of having some Reps from Ridgid or TTI available to answer tech questions and questions having to do with new products or ideas. Myself and others took up a lot ot time and space on the Forum over the safety of charging lithiums in our nicad chargers. We could still discuss among ourselves but the feedback and interaction from those in the know would be great. There's always the risk that someone will be agressive or rude towards them, but I think both sides would stand to gain from this opportunity.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Forum Formating and Functionality

          I'm probably alone here, but I don't care for the opening "Thumbnails". While having the photo section is a very nice feature, the functionality of the "Thumbnail" strip across the top of the Forum Index page, hinders getting into the forum. As it stands, I always have to wait a minute or so for the current "random" thumbs to load.

          Please keep the photo section, but make it a subject line like everything else and move the thumbnails header to that page.

          Just a suggestion,

          CWS

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Forum Formating and Functionality

            Originally posted by Woussko View Post

            My last request is that if a members makes up a new thread please allow this member to be able to remove it within a given time frame. Sometimes we just goof and want to make it long gone right after posting it. This would apply mostly if we mess things up.
            i agree with this it would be nice to go back and change something
            Charlie

            My seek the peek fundraiser page
            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040


            http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

            new work pictures 12/09
            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Forum Formating and Functionality

              Delay the new post feature.....


              That way when you visit the site, get distracted and pull away, you got a second or 3rd chance to see all the new posts.


              So if it was possible, have it extend to an hour or three.


              Many times it becomes a hunt for finding threads you did or did not participate in and you'd like to go and see the progress of the topic.

              Of course threads you participated in will show and be marked but disappear until you start scanning through the threads.

              I frequent 9 Vbulletin forum boards and my suscribed threads are never accurate. Usually a couple two-three and they are usually really recent movements.


              I like the First View into the site with pictures above the forum board; would be cool to see it stay up through the time you're on when you click back to the full site index only.
              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Forum Formating and Functionality

                This ones an easy one. Just use the Todays posts link under quick links. Unless you visit the forum less than once very 24 hrs

                Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                Delay the new post feature.....


                That way when you visit the site, get distracted and pull away, you got a second or 3rd chance to see all the new posts.


                So if it was possible, have it extend to an hour or three.


                Many times it becomes a hunt for finding threads you did or did not participate in and you'd like to go and see the progress of the topic.

                Of course threads you participated in will show and be marked but disappear until you start scanning through the threads.

                I frequent 9 Vbulletin forum boards and my suscribed threads are never accurate. Usually a couple two-three and they are usually really recent movements.


                I like the First View into the site with pictures above the forum board; would be cool to see it stay up through the time you're on when you click back to the full site index only.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Forum Formating and Functionality

                  Originally posted by Josh View Post
                  This ones an easy one. Just use the Todays posts link under quick links. Unless you visit the forum less than once very 24 hrs
                  Rick taught me that one a while back.Comes in real handy.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Forum Formating and Functionality

                    WE could use a function that sends an electrical charge to specific members pc's through the internet and zaps them...anonymously of course.

                    OUCH!...What was that!!...ouch!...ouch!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Forum Formating and Functionality

                      How about keeping an eye out for repeated questions/similar threads and merging the threads....

                      There's gotta be 5 or more threads on that darn radio....

                      And don't even get me started on the pricing debate....

                      Oh wait, this forum will disintegrate into that shortly....

                      The last one started out as Toilet Help........
                      I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Good deal

                        Originally posted by Josh View Post
                        This ones an easy one. Just use the Todays posts link under quick links. Unless you visit the forum less than once very 24 hrs


                        Ahaaa!

                        I always click on "new posts" on the header, never thought to open up that drop down menu unless I want to see the "who's online" list and who's posting/visiting a thread, in chat.

                        Thanks
                        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Forum Formating and Functionality

                          How about a google search bar added into the "search" near the top of our page for quick references. It'll be mixed in with search forum and search blog.....
                          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

                          http://www.contractorspub.com

                          A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Forum Formating and Functionality

                            Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                            WE could use a function that sends an electrical charge to specific members pc's through the internet and zaps them...anonymously of course.

                            OUCH!...What was that!!...ouch!...ouch!
                            But since you suggested it, you would know where the shocks were coming from, no surprise at all!!!!
                            info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Forum Formating and Functionality
                              1. Allow members to select a default forum area to jump to when they first visit the site which could be saved in the cookie with their login info.
                              2. Allow users to select which forums they want to see in the overall list of forums. If you have no interest in Woodworking then you could uncheck a box and not have to view any posts in a particular forum or in mul;tiple forum areas even when you use the "Todays Posts" on the Quick Links drop-down which I do regularly.
                              3. Allow users to choose if they want to see the photo thumbnails across the top of the page or never, or the default (the way it operates now).
                              "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

                              https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X