Clear All

Re: Sick of China and Mexico

It already has.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
      It already has.
      Thankfully they only can present the facade,they have limited technology.Same problem we had with Russia stealing it in the fifties.

Comment

If you didn't like NAFTA, you're gonna hate CAFTA (now DR-CAFTA). There are some provisions in this plan that, if known, would scare the bejeezus out of any rational person. One I heard of was that foreign companies could build anywhere in the U.S. and no one could stop them.

Comment

Originally posted by TOPDAWG View Post
          We mostly get lumber from Canada and a bunch of illegal immigrants from the south.

Actually, Canada is the largest exporter of energy(i.e.OIL) to the United States under NAFTA....

If you think the States is ever gonna pull out of/cancel NAFTA, you're on crack...

Maybe you can do a little research next time.....
          I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
            Actually, Canada is the largest exporter of energy(i.e.OIL) to the United States under NAFTA....

If you think the States is ever gonna pull out of/cancel NAFTA, you're on crack...

Maybe you can do a little research next time.....
            HOTHEAD

Comment

Canada is a completely different ball O wax, I don't think anyone has a problem with them importing/exporting or swapping jobs here.
              I can't recall ever seeing a Canadian come into this country and try to fly under the radar working for less money under the table.

Comment

I was going to further comment on this whole issue, but my doctor tells me I need to control my stress level to reduce my blood pressure so, though difficult, I shall take a deep breath and Let it go.............
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                  ...knowing the price for say, a Ridgid 300, and knowing the parts are likely made in China...
                  No, they are not.
                  Steve
                  www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

If a flat screen tv was made from scratch here in the United States, they would cost $30,000 by the time union hands involved their benefit packages, their 2 paid 15 minute breaks and the ability for one guy to work side by side with another, one working a great deal harder and the other half a smart, less productive and making the same wage.

That's what I experienced as a union worker the 3 times I involved myself with the system. All but one of those 3 unions went on strike where we was put out to fend for our job over pennies, not nickels or dimes, maybe quarters.

But I saw the light, found a better way....

If I ever end up in a situation where I need good dependable labor for fractions of the american wages, I'm following the masses as it makes the best economical sense.

Want to challenge my patriotism? Wave that American Flag that was made in China....impress me.

There are some things that are not created equal but there are things that just cannot efficiently and cost effectively be built and manufactured in the United States.

The true names of quality of bedded quite nicely in the states with no problems but take for example Delta; their equipment came from Germany to mass-produce the brass valve assemblies. Now, they've outsourced their product to be built in other countries, then shipped back here. The quality did go down, a bad strike against one of the leading faucet mfg. The number of companies who produce a good quality product are dwindling to the power of the dollar, the consumer wanting rock bottom before quality. I'm guilty of this equation on countless aspects of business and personal needs.

You can group products, ideas, considerations to the big picture but products that involve mass production due to its availability and use, function have to come from something that starts with you showing up at Walmart thinking WOW that is priced so cheap....

How did they do that?

The proof is in the pudding.
                    Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 03-04-2008, 01:59 PM.
                    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by smorris View Post
                      No, they are not.
                      I would bet money something Ridgid makes and sells in the US is made over seas.
                      THE GLASS IS ALWAYS HALF FULL

Comment

Originally posted by Crappy days View Post
                        I would bet money something Ridgid makes and sells in the US is made over seas.
                        If you are talking about any RIDGID product, you already know the answer to that, knowing the TTI connection and other consumer products. But since this is in the Professional Plumbing Discussion forum, I'll assume you meant Professional Plumbing equipment.

The comment used the 300 Power Drive as an example, and I can assure you that all threading machines are made right here in Elyria, Ohio. Stop by and I'll show you the plant where most of the products are made. I'm sure that the folks in Cambridge, Ohio or Orange, Virginia would show you the fine RIDGID products they make, too. RIDGID products are made here in the US that are exported all over the world! Sure some are made overseas. Visit our plants in Germany and Switzerland for a few more professional plumbing products. There is also a RIDGID plant in Shanghai, China that makes products for sale in that part of the world.

Here, take a look: http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/About-Ridge-Tool/

Stop in and see for yourself. These men and women are proud to be making products to keep your job going smoothly.
                        Steve
                        Steve
                        www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

No, they are not.
                          Occured to me after the fact that was probably a bad example, I wasn't sure...insert another MFG name..my point is valid.

Comment

If you are talking about any RIDGID product, you already know the answer to that, knowing the TTI connection and other consumer products. But since this is in the Professional Plumbing Discussion forum, I'll assume you meant Professional Plumbing equipment.

The comment used the 300 Power Drive as an example, and I can assure you that all threading machines are made right here in Elyria, Ohio. Stop by and I'll show you the plant where most of the products are made. I'm sure that the folks in Cambridge, Ohio or Orange, Virginia would show you the fine RIDGID products they make, too. RIDGID products are made here in the US that are exported all over the world!
                            Steve
                            OK...a few posts down and I am compelled to reiterate, that was a bad example.
                            When I first started as an apprentice I was told NOT to buy any wrench but Ridgid.
                            Showing up on the job with something with "made in China" was a slap in the face to the other plumbers around me, I did what I was told.
                            I WILL venture to guess the Home Depot lines they market DO have parts made in China...but I think I need to ratify my original point.
                            NOT just Ridgid..I was trying to use ONE MFG as an example of how Chinese parts have become a staple in the U.S. market.
                            I picked the worst conceivable product I could in that example, my bad.
                            The point remains...it even puts things into a perspective from the MFG point...in this sense...
                            How can Ridgid possibly compete with another MFG that imports Chinese parts?
                            WE in the trade know to buy their products because they have been a constant in our business for years, but the DIY market is HUGE nowadays and that market in general revolves around price.
                            This thought clarifies a thing that has been bothering me of late...seeing more and more of the Ridgid name at HD...a box store that specifically targets the DIY market.
                            I'll just take a guess they're doing what Delta is doing, passing a lower grade product at a lower price, geared to the homeowner/DIY market to stay alive.
                            I guess I'd rather see Ridgid stay alive, if thats the case.
                            "The times they are a changin' "
                            Last edited by DuckButter; 03-04-2008, 07:22 PM.

Comment

I know a guy that was an oil tech for over 25 years.
                              Hurt his back and spent a year out of work.
                              He finally got sick of hoping his back would get better, took two years in college to become a Medical tech.
                              He makes more money now.
                              The point is that a factory across town might shut down, but in it's wake the ex employee's will have to pursue other means to survive.
                              A guy with 25 years working in basements could do it, most Americans can too.
                              Maybe some of the guys that used to work on the line at that factory will wind up as the engineers designing those very parts as they are sent to be manufactured in China.
                              Maybe.

Comment

YOU MAY BE SICK OF CHINA IM SICK OF AMERICA all i here is ***** ***** ***** from you guys all the time about how your on the short end all the time FIX IT THEN. you based your econemy that you allways have the need to be at war, the way you spout off all of the time im not supprised you are. your econemy is going down the crapper and you dont know what to do? automotive industy dying, how's your union now general motor plant workers. try a more gatiouse attitude, buck up and fix your own country before you try to make everyone elses like yours
                                how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

Working...
                                X