• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: employer's rig

Click on the link I posted.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

ah what a painful memory. 20+ years ago just started doing service work had my company service van pulled up into my customers very steep driveway, jumped out with my flashlight knocked on the front door walked in and started to do my troubleshooting, custmer calls out to me and says what is your van doing across the street and half way up my neighbors front lawn well as iam fast loosing controll of this job i go look and get a very ill feeling wondering how much this is going to cost me in lawn repair and credibility as you all can imagine the custmer has already said i sure hope you can plumb better than you park. what a moment that was and i took alot crap till someone pulled something more idiotic than i did that day. lesson learned always make sure truck is in park before you get out. up till now i had happily put that out of my mind. think ill go take xanax.

Comment

sorry i just got back to the office. i posted this before on another thread but its worth writing again. i picked up 2- 4"X20" schd 80 sticks of pvc from the supply house for a buddy of mine. (my boss didnt know) i didnt have anything to tie it to the pipe rack with so i used some twine. i was heading to my last job for the day and not paying attention doin about 50mpg down a 40mph road. i was kinda spaced out and didnt really pay attention to the flagger standing in the middle of the road so i slam on my brakes and stop with plenty of distance to spare. except the 2 pieces of pipe shot off like a couple of torpedos hit the pavement in front of the van kicked back knocked out the windshield and than continued toward the flagger like two heat seeking missles as they are heading towards her she gets scared and jumps into a ditch the guys working in the ditch behind her hit the deck. i can laugh about it now but doing the walk of shame in front of a city work crew and tieing your pipe and your windshield up w duct tape is pretty embarrasing. i told my boss the next day that some kids threw a brick in the windshield
        Mike
        Clark County Plumbing And Drain
        www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
          I'll give you 3 gold stars Ben if you tell me what a MTVR vehicle is
          I'll take those stars if you dont mind.

It stand for "Medium Tactical Vehicle Replacement" and its one tough piece of equipment. If you have ever heard anyone talk about the " 7 ton truck" in the military, thats what they are talking about.

Wish I had one. Dont know why, but I do.

Regards,

Comment

Nice one Haycad.

I did that once but luckily it was on a dirt road with no one around but our crew and I didn't do any damage. I did take a lot of ribbing from the crew but that only lasted about 5 mins till the dump trucks showed up. Truck 1 shows up speeding down the road. Then truck 2. The new (first day) guy is no where to be seen in truck 3. About 1 min later here he comes going balls to the wall in the field. He reaches the end of the field then turns back the way he came. Then busts through a rock wall to get back on the road. He busted that truck up. But at least he got the heat off me.
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Haycads story reminded me of this. I am an electrician and this happened in my first week of working as an electrician. I worked for a company that had a big shop, plenty of room to pull in 15 vans and still drive them around inside. So one morning the leadman I am working with puts the extension ladder on the roof while I am trying to figure out what parts he wants me to put on the van. Eventually we take off, and we get to a busy intersection and he stabs the brakes as the light turns red. You know what is next, yep, that ladder shot straight off the roof and right into the middle of the intersection, nobody can go because of where it is laying. So Tommy, the guy I am working with, says "go get it!" I say to Tommy "uh uh, you put it up there", He says it again "GO GET IT!!" I still say "nope", so now he says "GO GET IT OR YOU ARE FIRED!!!" so I say to him "well, see you later then!!" and I proceed to get out of the van and start walking back to the shop. He got out and picked it up and boy did he turn about 8 diffrent shades of red doing it. He picked me up about 2 minutes later.

Jeff

Comment

i dont feel so bad now. i hat to admit it but i have a few more.
                Mike
                Clark County Plumbing And Drain
                www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Comment

Originally posted by piette View Post
                  Haycads story reminded me of this. I am an electrician and this happened in my first week of working as an electrician. I worked for a company that had a big shop, plenty of room to pull in 15 vans and still drive them around inside. So one morning the leadman I am working with puts the extension ladder on the roof while I am trying to figure out what parts he wants me to put on the van. Eventually we take off, and we get to a busy intersection and he stabs the brakes as the light turns red. You know what is next, yep, that ladder shot straight off the roof and right into the middle of the intersection, nobody can go because of where it is laying. So Tommy, the guy I am working with, says "go get it!" I say to Tommy "uh uh, you put it up there", He says it again "GO GET IT!!" I still say "nope", so now he says "GO GET IT OR YOU ARE FIRED!!!" so I say to him "well, see you later then!!" and I proceed to get out of the van and start walking back to the shop. He got out and picked it up and boy did he turn about 8 diffrent shades of red doing it. He picked me up about 2 minutes later.

Jeff
                  Lovin' it bigtime.Tommy the dweeb

Comment

As an apprentice many moons ago I got sent to town with the old boom truck that hadn't seen a highway in over a year and lived outside next to the ocean on a job site.Now this truck was about 15 years old an near all its life on that job site Im not sure if anyone ever did anything to it but put gas oil ad water in it.So I go to town and get a few big rolls of wire loaded on it and tie it all down good and head back.Now this truck at over about 30mph always felt like the front left tire preferred to bounce into the cab then stay on the ground so it always shook bad driving it.So I'm going about 20 thru town and the right mirror just falls off in the road.I get back near the job site hear this sprung sound pull over and stop and 1 strap on a gas tank had given up tied a rope around that.Went on back told my foreman an he started laughing an said yea its a bit rusted out...the big boss came unglued tho..oh well.
                    Years later I worked for a guy that the shop was just him and me mostly.He had a chevy pickup we both called the stuck truck.That truck had a hard life with other guys that worked for him before me.So 1 not so nice weather day I was off to wire a huge custom house at the bottom of a hill on a private road so loaded up everything on the truck and was off.I get there and what was a road was now all dirt as all the utilities had been finish buried in the road the day before.No choise but to drive down as its way too far to carry everything.So I drive down figuring on unloading everything an then right off get the truck to the top before the rain starts.It didn't work out that way.I start unloading an it starts raining like the old cow and a flat rock saying. hurry tossing stuff out then hop in get turned around and try to get a run at the now muddy river road.I got about 50' up the road when it spun out an sank in the mud.I did grab a sawhorse and block the road at the top.About 7 hours later I'm wondering how I'm gonna get home,,,this is way before cell phones and nearest neighbor was about a mile away.About then the boss and the homeowner shows up with an old hough 4x4 loader. We all did get a good laugh even if the front bumper got a bit warped being pulled up that hill.Another time with that same truck I was driving along side an open ditch far enough that it should have been safe and the ditch caved in with the truck too.Everyone that drove that truck I heard got it stuck more then once.
                    Sam

Comment

This didn't happen to me but to my partner, He was working in Brookepark in the Cleveland area, I get a call around 6:00 from a person that said my van was parked in their front yard and asked me to come and remove it. I asked them to look inside to make sure that no one was in it (not hearing from my partner yet I thought he might have been car jacked) On the way up after alerting the Cleveland police my partner calls, says that he needs picked up because his van was stolen. This was about a hour after I got the first call. any ways to make a long story short he stopped at one of the local STRIP BARS on his way home.They took every thing but the shop vac used to suck out water closets.
                      ________
                      MARIJUANA INDICA
                      Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:39 PM.
                      Mike

Comment

Working...
                      X