X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left hand die set needed...urgent!

Maybe someone here can help me locate a set of bolt thread dies. They are back ordered from Ridgid. I need set #48960 which is 1-1/8" 7 pitch, left hand dies for a 500B or 532 head. Price not important at this point (within reason).
    TIA,
    waverly

Re: Left hand die set needed...urgent!

Originally posted by WAVERLY View Post
    Maybe someone here can help me locate a set of bolt thread dies. They are back ordered from Ridgid. I need set #48960 which is 1-1/8" 7 pitch, left hand dies for a 500B or 532 head. Price not important at this point (within reason).
    TIA,
    waverly
    No help here, but thats another reason I got outta machining.
    Plumbing has specialty tools, but machinists...man oh man you guys have to pay out the nose for all kinds of obscure, hard to find stuff.
    Even the most basic tools in that trade, like verniers & micrometers aren't exactly sold at the local HD or hardware store.

Comment

Waverly

Do you have any other die stocks? If you can deal large round or hex dies, I may be able to help. Please give more info. If you must have the exact RIDGID die that's going to be tuff to find unless someone gets lucky.

If you can deal with a round die of 2-1/2" diameter, then try calling MSC Industrial Supply at 1-800-645-7270 and their catalog number 03849346 should work. If you would rather have a 2" HEX shape rethreading die that would be catalog number 79771390 . Both of these are no brand imports so I can't say much about quality. I think they should be able to help you out of a bind. Personally I would go for the 2-1/2" round adjustable die if it was my choice. If you need a die stock to hold and turn it, their catalog number 03722329 (import economy grade) should work. For a good quality die stock look at catalog number 88436969 which is a Greenfield 01245 but they aren't cheap. For just getting out of binds the imports may do what you need and will save you $$$. Good luck with this.
      Last edited by Woussko; 03-11-2008, 07:33 PM.

Comment

I'll ransack the machine shop tomorrow. We've got a lot of odd ball stuff in the store room.
        sigpic

Comment

can you get the piece on a lathe and have them turn it,

I do not know if there in stock but they have it advertised

http://www.gizmosindustrial.com/servlet/the-3036/Detail

http://www.alexgs.com/product/ridgid-tool-co-48960.html

http://www.royalsupply.com/productca...idproduct=9798
          Last edited by BHD; 03-11-2008, 10:06 PM.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Waverly

My earlier post would only apply if you are OK threading by hand the old "Grunt & Groan" way for one or two pieces.

BHD's idea of threading the work in a lathe if it can be done is a good one. If you have any good machine shops in your area, try calling them and give as much info as you can. They might be able to do the work and save you from having to hunt and pay for special items you may never need again.

Please tell more about the job and how many pieces.

Comment

Working...
            X