Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Our Gas Pumps

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
    It doesn't matter if gas is $8 a gallon, there are those of us that have to operate with that in the equation.

What's great is the higher this fuel price goes up, the less cars on the road, the lesser carbon footprint.

From a business perspective, less traffic, less time to travel from job to job, less chance of backups where fuel is spent/wasted in traffic jams.

I've noticed less traffic and that forces the sunday drivers and the day wanderers off the streets.

It's awesome to be able to go to somewhere with less traffic.
    But the profits of the oil companies will never go down. When the number of cars drops and consumption falls off they will have to raise prices so they can maintain the high profit margins that they have become acustomed to over teh past few years. We (the consumer) are all suffering but they profits continue to climb.
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
      But the profits of the oil companies will never go down. When the number of cars drops and consumption falls off they will have to raise prices so they can maintain the high profit margins that they have become acustomed to over teh past few years. We (the consumer) are all suffering but they profits continue to climb.
      Its not about just profits in the oil produce. We have Americans showing them how to invest in America. Buying up our properties and Banks and they have a strong foothold with credit cards, the list goes on.

But then again, many nations/corporations are doing the same thing. I cannot blame them, we the people allowed for this to happen and to continue to happen. We get uptight about it, as individual or talking about it amongst our friends and family.

But we cannot change our Govt. who allows for a lot of this to happen. And we the people voted them in. I'm also seriously considering about buying a golf cart, for real. I don't care what people think, when I would pull up to the local grocery store and they start to chuckle. Besides, I can throw my clubs in there too, and go play a round before I pick up the milk and butter.

I built a passive solar front porch, which gathers up the heat from the sun, and I pump the warmth into my house w/a fan, work absolutely great. Just another process to conserve energy.

As time goes by in the future, conserving energy and going solar/wind power/geo thermal heating will be happening all over this planet, give it maybe 10 yrs.

Building homes in the green building technique, will be happening on damn near every new home, it already is, but in a small sense at this point.

Are you guys getting bored of this thread yet? I'm not.....
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Hey if you can, sometimes you can get special licensing to operate a golf cart on a public road.

They have to.

In Kentucky in "certain parts" it's not uncommon to see ATV's parked at a local grocery store or bank. Old farmers just tired of drivin' the tractor to town to get some necessities, flirt with the town hairstylist who likes to talk.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

One step up from a gold cart is a NEV (Neighborhood Electric Vehicle). They are faster and have all the necessary options to be street legal like seat belts, headlights and turnsignals, brake lights, horn, etc.

I bought two gas powered E-Z-Gos for our project a few months back and they were ~$7K @ with some options, like oversize tires and lift kit for extra ground clearance and enclosures for winter weather. A NEV or a JD Gator would be more, like >$10K or better.
          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
            One step up from a gold cart is a NEV (Neighborhood Electric Vehicle). They are faster and have all the necessary options to be street legal like seat belts, headlights and turnsignals, brake lights, horn, etc.

I bought two gas powered E-Z-Gos for our project a few months back and they were ~$7K @ with some options, like oversize tires and lift kit for extra ground clearance and enclosures for winter weather. A NEV or a JD Gator would be more, like >$10K or better.
            Hey Bob, those are cool, but I don't think I could use them on the golf course.

I can increase the speed of a golf cart, that ain't no problem, but I will look at those NEV a lot more and get all the facts when I have more time. Thanks for the heads up....
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

i paid 4.05 today in new york diesel is at 4.25 one again uncle sam is taking advantage of the working man.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                If they made a hybrid worktruck I'd buy one in a second.
                Chevy came out with one a couple years ago. I think it was in the testing phase cause it was only for fleet vehicles. I just saw Isuzu has a hybrid truck.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Just to stir the pot, want to know the cost of gas in Afghanistan? 47 cents. That's it. Due to my job, I'm not saying that we should have taken over Iraq and used it as our personal gas pump. I would never say that.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

CROATIA IS $4.81

Gas prices around the world
                    Think you pay a lot for gas? Perhaps you'd prefer to live in Venezuela.

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) – Gasoline prices in the United States, which have recently hit record highs, are actually much lower than in many countries. Drivers in some European cities, like Amsterdam and Oslo, are paying nearly 3 times more than those in the U.S.

The main factor in price disparities between countries is government policy, according to AirInc, a company that tracks the cost of living in various places around the world. Many European nations tax gasoline heavily, with taxes making up as much as 75 percent of the cost of a gallon of gasoline, said a spokesperson for AirInc.

In a few Latin America and Middle-East nations, such as Venezuela and Saudi Arabia, oil is produced by a government-owned company and local gasoline prices are kept low as a benefit to the nation's citizens, he said. All prices updated March, 2005.

NationCityPrice in USD Regular/GallonNetherlandsAmsterdam$6.48
                    NorwayOslo$6.27
                    ItalyMilan$5.96
                    DenmarkCopenhagen$5.93
                    BelgiumBrussels$5.91S
                    wedenStockholm$5.80
                    United KingdomLondon$5.79
                    GermanyFrankfurt$5.57
                    FranceParis$5.54
                    PortugalLisbon$5.35
                    HungaryBudapest$4.94
                    Luxembourg$4.82
                    CroatiaZagreb$4.81
                    IrelandDublin$4.78
                    SwitzerlandGeneva$4.74
                    SpainMadrid$4.55
                    JapanTokyo$4.24
                    Czech RepublicPrague$4.19
                    RomaniaBucharest$4.09
                    Andorra$4.08
                    EstoniaTallinn$3.62
                    BulgariaSofia$3.52
                    BrazilBrasilia$3.12
                    CubaHavana$3.03
                    TaiwanTaipei$2.84
                    LebanonBeirut$2.63
                    South AfricaJohannesburg$2.62
                    NicaraguaManagua$2.61
                    PanamaPanama City$2.19
                    RussiaMoscow$2.10
                    Puerto RicoSan Juan$1.74
                    Saudi ArabiaRiyadh$0.91
                    KuwaitKuwait City$0.78
                    EgyptCairo$0.65
                    NigeriaLagos$0.38
                    VenezuelaCaracas$0.12
                    Last edited by mrs. westcoast; 03-15-2008, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Zeljka, that's per Liter? In europe, you buy by the liter and so a gal ends up costing around $12 once you figure exchange rate for euro or pound. Mass transit is every where in Europe and considered the norm.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                        Zeljka, that's per Liter? In europe, you buy by the liter and so a gal ends up costing around $12 once you figure exchange rate for euro or pound. Mass transit is every where in Europe and considered the norm.
                        No clue Ben

I have to ask my mom tomorow...

Anyways thanks gosh I don't drive in europe

Comment

Here in the Corning, NY area the price is currently at $3.46. For whatever reason, this area is always above the daily national average. Right now I'm driving on $3.20 per/gallon that I purchase in Binghamton last week. 75 miles difference between the two places but about $0.15 difference in gas prices.

Worst part is the mileage abilities. About nine years ago when we were in a "spike", we drove out to Chicago to see the newly born grandson. Highest price I paid was here in Painted Post. Got 17 miles to the gallon with that tank. The further west I drove the cheaper the gas got (with the cheapest being in Hammond, Indiana, just south of Chicago). Surprisingly, the second tank purchase the other side of Jamestown, NY spike my mileage up to 27 mpg and it remained there for the entire trip, until I returned to Painted Post. The mileage dropped back down to 17 mpg. It appears that here we are not only paying a higher price, but also getting a somewhat poorer quality product.

We're pretty conservative and have always maintained a relatively low "carbon print". Thirty five years ago I moved to where I could walk to work and have fairly well maintained less than 6,000 miles a year on our vehicles. Likewise, we've always kept the temperature at 65 degrees in the winter. No air conditioning in the summer, just open windows, shade trees and occasionally a fan. In the summer we simply move our bedroom to the first floor as it's much cooler.

Lights during any typical night consists of two florescent bulbs in the kitchen, a 40-watt incandescent at the base of the stairs and a single 60 watt in whatever room we might occupy. Two small televisions, if we are each watching something different. I think the biggest gas bill we had this winter was about $180 one month.

The future home in Binghamton is much better insulated and has central air, but except for one extreme day last summer, we haven't found a need to run it. Even then we flipped it on for about an hour in the late afternoon to cool the house down. Not bad for a 2800 sq ft home built in 1887. Of course we're not living there everyday, just going there for a few days every other week and working our butts off. Perhaps once we're moved we may find things different.

The new home will put us much closer to services though, with groceries and restuarants and other services within a few blocks and shopping centers at less than half the distance they are now. I'm also looking at adding some alternate energy sources too.

CWS

Comment

In the states I drive an old 86 ford diesel with a banks kit and get around 17 mpg which aint bad as there I really need a hauler.Im in the Philippines now and drive a suzuki multicab,they arent sold in the states except for off road use.Its a 3cyl 650cc 12 valve engine,mine has an automatic and a/c.I've had 9 people in it but it really only seats 5.
                            I look at fuel prices here near everyday super premium,which the lil multicab needs, is 47p a liter,regular is 44p a liter,diesel is 38p a liter.Near all diesel sold here is a biodiesel mix.Its about 40.5p to a dollar right now so rounding it all off fuel is about $1.05ish a liter.I just put alloy wheels and radials on the suzuki so maybe itll do even better on economy now over the bias tires.
                            I'm far from the main part of town here,30ish minutes drive to much of anything 40 minutes to an hour to the better shopping etc.I usually put in 500p at a time which about equals 2 plus a bit round trips to town with the a/c running constantly.
                            Out here we generally run the bedroom a/c to nap or cool off the room at night to sleep other rooms are just big floor fans.The only heater in the house is an shower wallpack thats electric and only comes on when the shower valve is turned on.
                            This place is so far out that when we looked for property we really didn't consider the area to buy in even tho its nice and safe for me,also it gets pretty hot here most days with little or no breeze generally.We did just buy a lot very near town on top a hill thats 20+ minutes drive closer to everything.We go up there a lot anyway as the church my wife prefers is there and a resto/bar I like so we know what its like up there all times of the day and night.The lot is 1 block form her church so she will be able to walk and the resto/bar is staggering distance for me,maybe 8 blocks.Theres nearly always a nice cool breeze up there so while the house being designed will have provisions for wall a/c units nearly everyone doubts they will be needed or if needed not much.The lot actually cost less then most other places but theres no water power etc to it so that'll raise its cost to about equal of other places,I did get quotes for that to be done before paying for the lot.So once its built we will certainly save on all our energy costs here and soon after that I'll be living here so wont have the expenses and longggggg flights back and forth.Theres enough wind up there I might put in a windmill for some power.
                            The wife really prefers taking the car when we do the nearby shopping but I always tell her no and we take a trike which is about 12 cents each way for each person.A trike is usually a 110 cc honda bike with a 2 seater side car thing.A big plus is I dont have to drive it.Driving here is closely related to bumper cars that just barely miss getting hit and the vehicle in the lead has the rightaway even if its only 1'' ahead.
                            Nearly everyone here is hurting from the higher food and fuel prices same as in the states.
                            Our electric bill here is about 60-70$ which aint bad as theres 7 people plus the baby in the house right now.Theres 2 ridges and a few kitchen appliances.Every light is a flourscent its about 50/50 2' and cf's the night lights are 5 watt cf's
                            Sam
                            Last edited by threecreeks3; 03-16-2008, 12:47 AM. Reason: additons

Comment

I don't know the accuracy of this. Was just sent to me today. Found it somewhat interesting...

Every time you fill up the car, you can avoid putting more money into the coffers of Saudi Arabia. Just buy from gas companies that don't import their oil from the Saudis.

Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that every time I fill-up the tank, I am sending my money to people who are trying to kill me, my family, and my friends.

I thought it might be interesting for you to know which oil companies are the best to buy gas from and which major companies import Middle Eastern oil.

These companies import Middle Eastern oil:

Shell........................... 205,742,000 barrels
                              Chevron/Texaco......... 144,332,000 barrels
                              Exxon /Mobil............... 130,082,000 barrels
                              Marathon/Speedway... 117,740,000 barrels
                              Amoco ............................62,231,000 barrels

Citgo gas is from South America, from a Dictator who hates Americans. If you do the math at $30/barrel, these imports amount to over $18 BILLION! (oil is now $100+ a barrel)

Here are some large companies that do not import Middle Eastern oil:

Sunoco................0 barrels
                              Conoco................0 barrels
                              Sinclair.................0 barrels
                              B P/Phillips...........0 barrels
                              Hess.....................0 barrels
                              ARC0....................0 barrels

All of this information is available from the Department of Energy and each is required to state where they get their oil and how much they are importing.
                              ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

Well dang it, I must of jinxed our area. So I started talking about the lack of vehicles on the road, so maybe it is driving our gas price down. Well this morning it went up to $3.11 a gal.

Still not as bad as other areas are at.

Hey Pipestone kid, whats the price up there right now?????

Comment

Working...
                                X