X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Our Gas Pumps

Hi Garager, Just paid $3.12 yesterday afternoon. Went down seven cents from a week ago. On another note-those European gas prices--remember, you can drive clear across any of those countries on a tank of gas. It takes me a half a tank just to go to the store and back! Ya, I know, I chose to live where I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
      Hi Garager, Just paid $3.12 yesterday afternoon. Went down seven cents from a week ago. On another note-those European gas prices--remember, you can drive clear across any of those countries on a tank of gas. It takes me a half a tank just to go to the store and back! Ya, I know, I chose to live where I do.
      We all chose to live where we do not expecting gas prices to almost triple in the last four or five years. Here in CT gas is between $3.19 and 3.49 for regular depending on what town you are in. I think the problem facing most of us is pretty simple, our income for the most part is a constant as inflation increases we either try to earn a bit more or cutback where we can. Whether it's foreign oil interests or greedy American oil companies raising the prices, there is no way our economy can endure these three hundred percent rises in price. This is not capitalism at work, it is terrorism. Remember it's not just costing us more to drive, we are paying more for almost everything we consume. Just a few months ago we were paying $4.00 for a gallon of corn oil, now the price is $9.50 a gallon so much for ethanol!

Comment

I saw one post where someone stated his vehicle gets XX/MPG on the local purchased gasoline and does much better on gasoline from other areas. Please note that gasoline and Diesel fuel is blended with additives based on EPA requirements for a given area and time of year. Gasoline sold out on the middle of nowhere land in the summer is very different from winter blend for a large city. In my area many pumps have stickers on them stating there may be up to 15% ethyl alcohol mixed in. This lowers power and mileage but is said to burn cleaner. Some stations are selling a partial Bio Diesel mixed fuel.

Comment

Converting food crops or food crop lands for fuel production just isn't a great idea in general.The high costs of energy will continue to drive up the prices of everything.After all energy is needed for near everything produced which then must be processed and transported somehow.
          Airlines and freight companies already have a fuel surcharge looks like soon all contractors will have to also.The well drilling contractor I used last year had a fuel surcharge.I'm really begining to think all liquid fossil fuels should only be used for transportation etc type thing and all stationary energy production should only be with coal,nukes,and renewable sources as coal can make steam as well as oil can.
          Sam

Comment

I bought a shop with an apt over it about 20mi closer to most of my work. Primarily for convenience and drive time savings, but it has cut the miles I pile up down appreciably as a nice bonus. I am raising prices this summer, first time in 4+ years, mostly due to gas expense. Annual gas spending has gone from $6K to $8K to probably $12K in '08. No choice, I've just got to charge more as expenses rise.

If gas gets a lot higher, I will be renting parking spaces in strategic areas, parking a vanful of equip at each, and using something more fuel efficient to get to them.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by threecreeks3 View Post
              Converting food crops or food crop lands for fuel production just isn't a great idea in general.The high costs of energy will continue to drive up the prices of everything.After all energy is needed for near everything produced which then must be processed and transported somehow.
              Sam
              Why is it OK for Plumbers and contractors and other to use free enterprise and to use there resources for there best gain, (they have no problem justifying hundreds of dollars of price for a few Min's of work and a few dollars of parts.)

and yet farmers should not be allowed to use there land and machinery to plant the crops that will make them the best profit.
              I jsut do not under stand how others who have had the cheapest food in the world complain when finally the farmer has the first basic increase in his commodity prices in 34 years,
              wheat, historical average of about $3.60 since 1974
              http://www.chartsrus.com/chart1.php?...p?ticker=FUTKW
              corn, historical average of about $2.50 since 1974
              http://www.chartsrus.com/chart1.php?...hp?ticker=FUTC
              soybeans historical average of about $6.50 since 1974
              http://www.chartsrus.com/chart1.php?...hp?ticker=FUTS
              In the early 1970's the dollar was devalued and it has been devalued again in the last few months,

How well would you guys do on your 1974 wages for the last 34 years?

One basic increases in 34 years, and your complaining,

How may times did your wages go up over the last 34 years?

How many times did your income go up and by how much?

Did it double or even triple or quadruple or may be 10+ times or even more over the last 34 years?

(What justifies the thinking, its OK for some to make money but not others),

How would you like to do your business and when you go to collect your pay check you get told how much your work and materials have been worth, (that is called the board of trade), you buy ever thing at retail and have to sell everything at the lowest whole sale prices.
              Farmers do not set there prices the board of trade does and world markets.

Just for your information the value of the Dollar has more to do with the price of grain and fuel than many other things, international valued things will cost the USA more as the value of the dollar buys less.

Farmers share, of many food items, taken from depart of agriculture documents,
              http://www.nfu.org/documents/0201FarmersShare.pdf
              Last edited by BHD; 03-16-2008, 06:13 PM.
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                Why is it OK for Plumbers and contractors and other to use free enterprise and to use there resources for there best gain, (they have no problem justifying hundreds of dollars of price for a few Min's of work and a few dollars of parts.)

and yet farmers should not be allowed to use there land and machinery to plant the crops that will make them the best profit.
                I jsut do not under stand how others who have had the cheapest food in the world complain when finally the farmer has the first basic increase in his commodity prices in 34 years,
                wheat, historical average of about $3.60 since 1974
                http://www.chartsrus.com/chart1.php?...p?ticker=FUTKW
                corn, historical average of about $2.50 since 1974
                http://www.chartsrus.com/chart1.php?...hp?ticker=FUTC
                soybeans historical average of about $6.50 since 1974
                http://www.chartsrus.com/chart1.php?...hp?ticker=FUTS
                In the early 1970's the dollar was devalued and it has been devalued again in the last few months,

how well would you guys do on your 1974 wages for the last 34 years?

and now start to complain about it, when there is finally some increases in the value of his products.

(What justifies the thinking, its OK for some to make money but not others),

How would you like to do your business and when you go to collect your pay check you get told how much your work and materials have been worth, (that is called the board of trade), you buy ever thing at retail and have to sell everything at the lowest whole sale prices.
                Farmers do not set there prices the board of trade does and world markets.

Just for your information the value of the Dollar has more to do with the price of grain and fuel than many other things, international valued things will cost the USA more as the value of the dollar buys less.

Farmers share, of many food items, taken from depart of agriculture documents,
                http://www.nfu.org/documents/0201FarmersShare.pdf
                Speaking for myself as a retired guy, I have no problem with farmers or oil companies making a profit. I do have a problem with the enormous increase in the prices of many items lately. Flour has quadrupled since Aug, corn oil has doubled in the last few months. Most people cannot afford these extreme price increases. We are living in a time of employers demanding give backs, cutbacks, layoffs, outsourcing and more. Our economy cannot in my opinion sustain itself if the average consumer keeps losing buying power. Realistically the price of gasoline, heating fuel and other things associated to a barrel of oil have pushed many folks to the limit of surviving in this economy. There will be a breaking point and when it comes it won't matter what contractors want to charge because it will be paid for with credit cards and they too will become worthless. How many more big screen tv's , computers and other high price consumer electronics can folks afford as the costs of the other things I mentioned continue to rise out of control? The car lots are full and auto makers are hurting. When will these issues become a problem for you? I say no matter how well off you think you are, eventually everyone will be impacted by what's happening now.

Comment

I understand perfectly, the farm economy has been doing that for 20 years, cutting back and doing with out, why IN the Heck do you think I am farming with 35 year old tractors and 50 year old trucks, and Having to work off the farm to make ends meet?

I pay the increases for fuel and seed and fertilizer and other and have expenses the same as everyone else, It kinda nice to see the possibility of some income this coming year.

And if you want to blame some one for the food price increases, blame the weather, and the droughts in Australia and other places, it is a global economy,

the general public must seem to think you can turn on and off farm production like a light switch, sorry it does not work that way.

A tractor in 1970 cost $8000 a pickup was $3,400 a combine was $12,000, a bag of seed corn was $15 to $25 a ton of fertilizer was about $35
                  What does a new tractor run, for a basic apples to apples comparison, would be in the $100,000+ range, a new pickup is in the $25 to $35,000 range, a new combine in the $250,000 range, bag of seed corn is from $80 to $120.
                  a ton of NH3 fertilizer is, $450/ton

how do you think one can keep up with that kind of increases with some kind of increases there grains and fibers, finally we get some price increases and you yell foul.

and besides with out the ethanol where to you think the current fuel prices would be.

and while were on it, the corn that is made into ethanol is not normally used for human consumption any way or only a very small portion of it is used about 10%.

and like I said before it is the world market and the board of trade that sets the price, not the farmer.

If grain was at the same place as most of the other price increases that have occurred over the last 35 years,
                  wheat would be in the $35 range instead of the current $10, a bushel. and corn at $25 a bushel not at $5.00.

(and just for the record the rapid increases in fuels and energies has me concerned as well (like I said I have been on survival income or less for a long time), and if things do crash, were all in for a world of hurt.
                  Last edited by BHD; 03-17-2008, 12:58 AM.
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

The problem is everything is increasing except the wages.

I have no problem paying the 3.49, (costco gas) a gallon, but the price increase has to be passed down.

Raise prices all you want, just expect to raise the salaries along with it. No complaints from me.
                    sigpic

Robert

Comment

regular gas is selling for $1.174 a liter here in quebec canada, in montreal it was up to 1.234.........$4.25 american
                      §m€llŸ™

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                        The problem is everything is increasing except the wages.

I have no problem paying the 3.49, (costco gas) a gallon, but the price increase has to be passed down.

Raise prices all you want, just expect to raise the salaries along with it. No complaints from me.
                        That's the problem, the price of gasoline and home heating fuel have more than tripled in the last four or so years, flour quadrupled since Aug., corn oil more than doubled in the last few months. Most people who work for companies are lucky to still have a job and not face give backs and cutbacks. Plenty of folks are on fixed incomes and trades people and contractors can only increase their prices so much before the public simply can't pay for repairs. I agree that prices may need to increase but since most of us have not seen any increase in our income how will we pay for it? The next shoe to drop will be consumer debt, that's the other part of our smoke and mirrors economy. I think regular folks myself included who invested in the stock market were hurt beyond repair in the last couple of years. I didn't invest my life savings but my investment has dropped by 75% in the last year. Look what happened today, that company Bears & Sterns was a $167.00 a share stock last year and sold today for $2.00 a share. Imagine how those sharholders must feel? Figure in the Enrons and all the other out and out cheats and you have a lot of folks who are out a lot of money. I don't care if they can fix the housing crisis and mortgage problem, we still have a failing economy. We need jobs, benefits and affordable energy to sustain our economy and if this doesn't turn around all the government stimulus packages won't help a bit.
                        Last edited by Frankiarmz; 03-17-2008, 09:14 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                          That's the problem, the price of gasoline and home heating fuel have more than tripled in the last four or so years, flour quadrupled since Aug., corn oil more than doubled in the last few months. Most people who work for companies are lucky to still have a job and not face give backs and cutbacks. Plenty of folks are on fixed incomes and trades people and contractors can only increase their prices so much before the public simply can't pay for repairs. I agree that prices may need to increase but since most of us have not seen any increase in our income how will we pay for it? The next shoe to drop will be consumer debt, that's the other part of our smoke and mirrors economy. I think regular folks myself included who invested in the stock market were hurt beyond repair in the last couple of years. I didn't invest my life savings but my investment has dropped by 75% in the last year. Look what happened today, that company Bears & Sterns was a $167.00 a share stock last year and sold today for $2.00 a share. Imagine how those sharholders must feel? Figure in the Enrons and all the other out and out cheats and you have a lot of folks who are out a lot of money. I don't care if they can fix the housing crisis and mortgage problem, we still have a failing economy. We need jobs, benefits and affordable energy to sustain our economy and if this doesn't turn around all the government stimulus packages won't help a bit.

Very good point, I agree with many of the views here. Sadly, we keep giving our jobs away to foreigners and finally the United States is now feeling the pinch.

This whole economy thing was years in the making, we asked for it ourselves and now, once it finally hits the floor, then and only then will it take years to recover.

Close the boarders, invest back into america, the only way I see anything changing. We can fix it, but we have to do it ourselves and pay the price.

Here in california, the governer has cut 5 billion dollars out of education, why? Because we cannot keep taking care of the public health system and the thousands of foreigners that require free medical insurance, then they send their 5 kids to our school system, crowding class rooms and using our resourses. All while paying little or no state taxes.

INVEST BACK IN AMERICA AND BUILD A BIG FENCE.
                          Last edited by westcoastplumber; 03-17-2008, 09:24 PM.
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Well, maybe if we had the b@//s to invest in new oil refineries and actually drill for oil in our own country we wouldn't have these problems. We have plenty of oil right here in the USA but the eco-wackos and the lawyers won't let us drill here.

Thanks Sierra club!

Comment

Originally posted by TomSV650 View Post
                              Well, maybe if we had the b@//s to invest in new oil refineries and actually drill for oil in our own country we wouldn't have these problems. We have plenty of oil right here in the USA but the eco-wackos and the lawyers won't let us drill here.

Thanks Sierra club!
                              The big oil companies refused to build new oil refineries for years because they weren't getting incentives from the government. I guarantee they could have oil shooting up out of the ground and still charge these inflated prices. Our legislators dropped the ball for years by not preparing us for this day and in all fairness we as a people have been busy working, raising our families and preoccupied with other things when we should have been looking towards the future. It's too late to drill for new oil and build refineries, that takes years and the next hurricane season is upon us! I think we need the government to open up the federal oil reserves to bring down prices. Maybe we can't bring back some of the work and jobs we've lost to the third world, but is there a chance we can employ thousands right here to build windmills and install solar panels wherever it might help? Can we get those "Plug in "electric cars out to enough people who don't commute more than fifty or so miles a day so we can lower the price of gasoline for the folks who have to drive trucks? I agree with WestCoast that it took years to get here and it will take years to get out of this mess. Why do so many of us think it's a good idea to secure our borders to prevent more illegals from entering the USA and our government no matter whose in charge refuses to take action?

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                                Close the boarders, invest back into America, the only way I see anything changing. We can fix it, but we have to do it ourselves and pay the price.

Here in California, the governor has cut 5 billion dollars out of education, why? Because we cannot keep taking care of the public health system and the thousands of foreigners that require free medical insurance, then they send their 5 kids to our school system, crowding class rooms and using our recourses. All while paying little or no state taxes.

INVEST BACK IN AMERICA AND BUILD A BIG FENCE.
                                I think we all need to rise up in arms and scare the *** out of illegal immigrants to where they run for the bordrer to get back home. My idea is to open fire at but not actually hit them. Just make them know we do mean business.

Tax imported items and I mean tax them, but use that tax to rebuild our factories so the real good are made here again.

As for schools, tax the *** out of people that have loads of kids going to school and for us with no children, please give us a break.

Comment

Working...
                                X