X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Gas Pumps

I pulled in this morning and I was the only one there, this was 15 minutes ago. I went there to get a cup of coffee. Its 6:00am right now

The girl said, "this is going to be a long day".

"oh ya, why is that"

"Because your the first customer and its already 5:45"

They are without a doubt, slowing down at the pumps these days. I most certainly see less cars/trucks on our main road.

Gas just dropped from $3.13 down to $3.05. She also told me that their sale in gas has dropped by more then $4000.00 in the last month. So I'm really starting to wonder if the $4.00 projected mark for this summer is going to fail.

People are starting to change their driving habits, who the hell can afford fuel, other than to get to work and some errand runs. I hope this continues and the oil tycoons won't make record profits this year.

Yep, wouldn't it be great to see our entire nation, slowing down in their driving habits.

At 3:00pm last Sunday, I was the only one there, at 6:30am Monday there was me and one other vehicle, at 2:30pm Tuesday I was the only one there again, Wednesday at 6:30 there was just me again. Yesterday at 3:00pm, me and 1 other person.

This is unheard of, never in my life, have I seen this least activity at the gas pumps. Finally, I think our nation is feeling the crunch, so now that the price of gas has dropped, how about our grocery stores doing the same thing. Food has doubled in most items in the past 1 1/2 yrs.

I'm sure this summer will prove me wrong and our nation will go right back, to being a gas guzzler of a country. Its frustrating to see a lawyer or a banker driving around in their brand new huge SUV or Hummer3 or 1 ton Truck. Why in the world do they need those, so they can act bigger and be more successful looking.

I would gladly give up my 1 ton truck if I didn't need it, in a heartbeat. But I have to have it, for what I do. But even my driving habits are changing, if I really don't need my truck for the day, I will jump into my car instead.

We are also going to rent a yearly spot at an RV site on a lake, instead of driving around and seeing the USA. We (family) figured, our savings would be a couple grand, by not doing our normal driving around, pulling the travel trailer.

So what are you people in the Ridgid forum, doing to change your driving habits????????????

Sorry this was a long post, but if you read it, your we're not driving, so I just save you a dollar or two.....
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Re: Our Gas Pumps

Originally posted by garager View Post
    Gas just dropped from $3.13 down to $3.05. She also told me that their sale in gas has dropped by more then $4000.00 in the last month. So I'm really starting to wonder if the $4.00 projected mark for this summer is going to fail.
    What? gas prices are dropping where you are? Up 12 cents in 1 week here.

By July 4th we will see $4/gallon. Some of the guys out west will see it by Memorial Day if not sooner.

If they made a hybrid worktruck I'd buy one in a second. Still a few years away me thinks. So for now I'll pay the higher price. The higher fuel costs makes the price of milk go up and that just pisses me off.

With the price of gas where it is; it's cheaper for me to fly to the Ridgid Roundup than to drive. 7 hours in the truck or 1hr. 15min. flight That's a no-brainer

Mark, maybe you should start filling all the way up at the pump instead of just putting in $5 worth. Is it the coffee or the girl behind the counter that keeps you coming back every day?
    Last edited by plumberscrack; 03-15-2008, 08:49 AM.

Comment

All 3 reasons is why I'm at the station. Yep, she sure is a cutie pie.

We also shot up in the price, but I guess since we are not a fast pace city, they needed to drop the price on fuel to get us to drive again.

By the way, 1 month and 1 week to go, eh........

I couldn't buy a hybrid truck, unless in can pull 15,000 lbs or more, bummer....
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

For what this is worth in many parts of central and western MD and in the central PA area at major truck stops #2 Ultra Low Sulfer (as per law) Diesel fuel is selling at over $4.00/gallon right now and that's with a 40 gallon minimum purchase and paid by cash. Gasoline prices are totally crazy. At one station regular 87 is $3.20/gallon and 1/4 mile from them at another station it's at $3.67/gallon. Super 93 runs on average 35 - 40 cents higher.

There is only one way for us to deal with this and that's to really cut down on use. The sad part is there are too many thieves around here that in just one day make enough to buy a new basic car and in a week buy a new ultra Yaupo Schight car. They couldn't care less if their cars and trucks only got one mile per gallon as they have money to burn. Our money that is, which we paid in taxes, taxes and more taxes that only line their pockets. GRRRRRRR

To all the real people on this forum, do all we/you can to lower demand and prices should come down.

Hints: Be sure to have your engine serviced. Using quality synthetic oil, and a good filter can save some on fuel costs. When it the last time you changed your air filter? Had fuel injectors professionally cleaned? What about checking the air pressure (cold) in your tires and properly inflating them? Reduce loads and take it easy going up long steep grades. If we think hard and use our minds, I bet each and every one of us can cut our fuel use by 10% if not more and really not suffer any hardships in doing so. Our bad driving habbets result in fuel waste. Startup gently and stop gently. Shift at the correct times and engine speeds. Speaking about taking care of your car or truck, when was the last time you had the transmission and differential(s) serviced?

Here's one: Must you really let your Diesel engine in your pickup truck idle for a long time when you stop somewhere with the idea that it will be hard to restart it? If it's hard starting, have it fixed. If FedEx and UPS can deal with lots of restarts per day, maybe the rest of us can too.

And finally, You do not need to run Super 93 gasoline in most cars and light trucks. Read the owner's manual. If it says they will run on 87 regular, give it a try where you add a little at a time. If you hear pre-ignition or you loose power then and only then fill up with the high price fuel and also get your engine serviced. In cases where regular just won't cut it, try a 1/2 & 1/2 mix of regular and super. It ends up better than 89 plus and costs less too. Really ( A 50-50 mix of 87 and 93 = 90 )

Note: Woussko just loves to howl, howl and howl far too much on this forum. I really need to shut up.
        Last edited by Woussko; 03-16-2008, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
          For what this is worth in many parts of central and western MD and in the central PA area at major truck stops #2 Ultra Low Sulfer (as per law) Diesel fuel is selling at over $4.00/gallon right now and that's with a 40 gallon minimum purchase and paid by cash. Gasoline prices are totally crazy. At one station regular 87 is $3.20/gallon and 1/4 mile from them at another station it's at $3.67/gallon. Super 93 runs on average 35 - 40 cents higher.

There is only one way for us to deal with this and that's to really cut down on use. The sad part is there are too many theives around here that in just one day make enough to buy a new basic car and in a week buy a new ultra Yaupo Schight car. They could call less if their cars and trucks only got one mile per gallon as they have money to burn. Our money that is which we paid in taxes, taxes and more taxes that only line their pockets. GRRRRRRR

To all the real people on this forum, do all we/you can to lower demand and prices should come down.

Hints: Be sure to have your engine serviced. Using quality synthetic oil, and a good filter can save some on fuel costs. When it the last time you changed your air filter? Had fuel injectors professionally cleaned? What about checking the air pressure (cold) in your tires and properly inflating them? Reduce loads and take it easy going up long steep grades. If we think hard and use our minds, I bet each and every one of us can cut our fuel use by 10% if not more and really not suffer any hardships in doing so. Our bad driving habbets result in fuel waste. Startup gently and stop gently. Shift at the correct times and engine speeds. Speaking about taking care of your car or truck, when was the last time you had the transmission and differential(s) serviced?

Here's one: Must you really let your Diesel engine in your pickup truck idle for a long time when you stop somewhere with the idea that it will be hard to restart it? If it's hard starting, have it fixed. If FedEx and UPS can deal with lots of restarts per day, maybe the rest of us can too.

And finally, You do not need to run Super 93 gasoline in most cars and light trucks. Read the owner's manual. If it says they will run on 87 regular, give it a try where you add a little at a time. If you hear pre-ignition or you loose power then and only then fill up with the high price fuel and also get your engine serviced. In cases where regular just won't cut it, try a 1/2 & 1/2 mix of regular and super. It ends up better than 89 plus and costs less too. Really ( A 50-50 mix of 87 and 93 = 90 )
          You gave the most complete list of gas saving, and good vehicle ideas I could imagine. I hope Garager is right that the prices will need to pull back, but I'm concerned about what will happen if they don't . Is there abreaking point at which folks who are just getting by will revolt, give up, be crippled by these prices? Something needs to happen before that takes place.

Comment

Those are excellent ideas Woussko

I am guilty of having too much weight in my truck Loaded down with a ton of tools and every fitting neccesary to rough in 2 houses. I just hate having to go to a supply house across town for one item. This cuts into my gas mileage for sure. Maybe I'll take some of those 2" black malleable fittings off tomorrow.

$4 a gallon, $5 a gallon; it doesn't matter, we have to pay it. I'll ride the subway when I can but not the bus.

Comment

what are you guys crying at

i just paid $3.57 for regular 87. and i get 6mpg

not to mention sometimes it takes 30 minutes to go 4 miles.

this week i had to put an alternator in the truck. only the medium duty truck dealers carries this one. the alternator has a rear output shaft that drives the vacuum pump for the brakes. they use a hitachi 80 amp.

i know it was going to be spendy so i was prepared. when the parts guy told me the price, i was a little relieved. $398.00 + 50 for the core deposit.

good news was they had it. better news they were able to install it on the spot for $89.00 and i was on the road in under an hour.

i was expecting to bring it home and return the core later.

so if you think gas is expensive where you're at try it here in l.a. or san francisco that's the highest in the state, maybe the nation

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

It doesn't matter if gas is $8 a gallon, there are those of us that have to operate with that in the equation.

What's great is the higher this fuel price goes up, the less cars on the road, the lesser carbon footprint.

From a business perspective, less traffic, less time to travel from job to job, less chance of backups where fuel is spent/wasted in traffic jams.

I've noticed less traffic and that forces the sunday drivers and the day wanderers off the streets.

It's awesome to be able to go to somewhere with less traffic.
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  what are you guys crying at

i just paid $3.57 for regular 87. and i get 6mpg

not to mention sometimes it takes 30 minutes to go 4 miles.

this week i had to put an alternator in the truck. only the medium duty truck dealers carries this one. the alternator has a rear output shaft that drives the vacuum pump for the brakes. they use a hitachi 80 amp.

i know it was going to be spendy so i was prepared. when the parts guy told me the price, i was a little relieved. $398.00 + 50 for the core deposit.

good news was they had it. better news they were able to install it on the spot for $89.00 and i was on the road in under an hour.

i was expecting to bring it home and return the core later.

so if you think gas is expensive where you're at try it here in l.a. or san francisco that's the highest in the state, maybe the nation

rick.
                  Sorry Rick, this isn't about crying over the gas prices...

Woussko, caught on right away. I'm referring to me seeing less activity on the road. Now why would I see less cars and trucks out there, because I think people are finally changing their driving habits. Which in turns, will cause less demand for fuel, then the pumps need to drop their prices to get us to buy more.

Absolutely, fine turn your vehicles and how you drive, woussko is dead on. But thats not enough. People need to move closer to where they work, share rides, take the subs or buses. I'm not talking about the people who need their trucks/cars to stay in business.

Work is work, and we need our vehicles to survive, but now days, I also need to learn to conserve. So by me driving a car if I can, instead of my truck, I'll do it. What I do is park my work trailer w/tools, etc at the job site. Then I try driving my car for the remainder of the job, unless I need more materials. Even then, most lumber yards will deliver for free in my area.

Its all about, just do what you can, to conserve fuel. Which just may lead to no price increase in fuel.....

Comment

Here is something I'm working on here at The Woussko Hut. Lower your thermostat setting and just wear slightly warmer clothing. We heat with natural gas but this winter the prices went up, up, up and I bay howled. Now with the T-stat set lower, we are saving good $$$ and are comfortable. People that have oil heat can really save. Diesel fuel is made from the same base as home heating oil. They (refinery) clean it up more.

Warning: Never put heating oil in a Diesel engine. I know farmers try it with their tractors but it does clog filters and fouls injectors. In addition if you get caught with it in your car or truck you are in for one heck of a court fight and a long time in a filthy cage. Just don't do it.

Do any of you leave lights on when you go out figuring it's good security and it is nice to have some light on when you come home after dark? Try installing a few lamp timers. You'll save on electricity and also on relamping costs. It does add up if you think of this as a long term investment.

And one more thing, Please don't think you're saving $$$ buying no brand fuel. It may be fine but it also may be rejects. Don't chance it. Don't buy fuel from a dumpy place either. Chances their old tanks are full of water and sludge in the bottom. When fuel is delivered it stirs up the mess.

Time for me to shut up now. Good luck and if we do our part, one way or another it will pay off.

Note: Woussko needs to stop howling all the time on this forum and shut up.
                    Last edited by Woussko; 03-16-2008, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Glad to see most people understand the seriousness of this problem and don't have their heads buried up their butts. The skyrocketing cost of gasoiline and other oil related products are far reaching and have a devistating effect on many areas of our society. Sure it's great to reduce pollution by driving less, but most people who drive need to do so for many reasons. Aside from the obvious reason of getting to work, there are obligations involving our children and family members, there are folks who need to see doctors on a regular basis and all sorts of other necessary demands for driving which cannot be curtailed. It is so easy for the narrow minded to pull their blinders in tight and shut out the rest of society, problem is we are in this together whether or not you admit it. The time has passed for having your head buried in the sand, take a hard look around and get involved in the process. Talk about the real problems facing our country and take part in sharing ideas to make things better. If you continue to remain ignorant of the severity of things and selfish in your own ability to survive and be a winner, you may one day wake up and realize it was an empty life and wasted opportunity to do good and help others.

Comment

on diesels unless you want your turbo to die a early death you need to let it idle some to let it cool down before shut down.
                        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                        attributed to Samuel Johnson
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                          on diesels unless you want your turbo to die a early death you need to let it idle some to let it cool down before shut down.
                          Very true and if you've worked the engine hard (any fuel) you want to remove all loads that you can and let it idle a few minutes. It's also wise to start a cold engine and let it idle a few minutes before speeding it up and applying a load. On the other hand you do not want or need to idle it for 1/2 hour.

My howling in an earlier post was that all the time around here, contractors let the Diesel engine(s) in their trucks idle for a long time while they are working.

Note: Woussko needs to shut up and stop his totally insane howling all the time on this forum.
                          Last edited by Woussko; 03-16-2008, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post

That's right.

It's called preventative maintenance.

I just had to replace my EGR valve on my truck, they told me I wasn't running it hard enough!!!

I guess driving to the pumper show at lightning speed one time wasn't enough.

For some reason though, my truck smoked like a freight train for 3 miles today after the repair. It cleared up but I looked like a barbecue grill cooking a pig with the smoke rolling out of my stacks. Breathe much?

I'm going to start doing plumbing work by horse drawn wagon, no electronic products, no electricity used, I'm going to create a furnace off the gases of the contained horse crap to melt my lead to pour joints. My food will be obtained from my garden that stretches down the road I travel to and fro, giving me nutrition so I can make more money to provide a living so I can suport my wife and 2.3 kids. Every hole, notch and cut inside a home will be done by hand and my beverage will come from the bubbling brook in the back yard. When I talk to family, it's in person. Walking is faster than sending a message by mail. If I happen to cut my hand, I'll cut off a piece of my shirt and tie up and make my health repairs with a needle, some good spirits to cut the edge at lunchtime and a little wisdom from good ole dad back in the day, because it worked for him.
                            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Every time I'm at the pump I think of some rich Arab spreading anti-American propaganda to his impoverished nation to justify his not sharing the wealth we contribute to.
                              I'm ready to hook a freaking trailer up to a bicycle, been reading every article I see on new breakthroughs in Hydrogen cell & hybrid technology.

I drive a truck that barely supports the stock & tools I need daily.
                              I just made two custom slide in racks on wheels to help keep it accessible & organized trather than entertain the idea of jumbing up to a cube van or box truck.

I used to work out of a company box truck that was a supply house on wheels, got used to it and every now and then I find myself very frustrated when I have to run back out to the supply for something I haven't the room for in my truck.

That occasional extra trip is worthwhile to me, rather than endenture myself to that Rich Arab for the sake of convenience.

We also joined Costco this past year to limit the number of shopping trips we have to make in a month.
                              We cook at home alot more now, rather than eat out.
                              We look at whats on Pay Per View before looking up moviefone to see whats at the local theater.
                              For those unavoidable domestic errands, I use my wifes 4 cyl rather than my 6 cyl truck.
                              I also avoid rush hour whenever I can, I switched to leaving the house after traffic dies & working till after rush hour on full days...not just for gas on that one, time spent sitting in traffic & frustration as you watch the 18 year old kid slice in and out of lanes working his way up behind you as he almost side swipes vehicles thinking it's worth the trouble to get a few cars ahead.

Comment

Working...
                              X