X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The significant other-spending roadblock

Seeing Jrsaltz purchases made me wonder what type of conversation he had with the wife before he bought this. What do you say to convince them that you really need another snake or why this drill is cost so much?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: The significant other-spending roadblock

I usually end up spending very little money out of the family budget, which makes things much easier. I save up BD and Christmas money, sell other tools and hobby items, earn some money in the shop, and stash things like rebate checks that come in under the radar. Once in a great while I make a significant unauthorized purchase, then have to beg forgiveness.

Comment

*Makes whipping sounds.*

Man I'm glad I'm not married.
      Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Since my wife works with me she understands the need for proper equipment.
        She looks at the same way I do, this tool will make our job easier , this tool will get us more work later or, this tool will allow us to do our job better.
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

She has very little say in what i do with the business. Anything that is purchased comes directly from business funds, not personal funds. How do you make a company run and grow without spending money?
          Last edited by Drain Medic; 03-16-2008, 11:37 AM.
          The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
            *Makes whipping sounds.*

Man I'm glad I'm not married.

For clarity

Whhaaaaaaaaaaa-chhhhh!!!
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

before i got married, joey came to the trade show and saw me plop down 35k on a trench less pipe puller.

her reaction was, "i need to go to the job when you use this to see how it works"

so far she's been there for every job.

the day before our honeymoon i bought a trailer jetter just in time before the price increase.

at this point she knows my spending habits. and i know hers

she has her money and i have mine. i don't question hers and she doesn't question mine.

what's mine is hers and what's hers is hers i don't need no stinking purses or shoes but i do like the purple car

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                before i got married, joey came to the trade show and saw me plop down 35k on a trench less pipe puller.
                No lie Rick, you were trying to impress her.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Brenda has been with me since the beginning and after 37-years of marriage knows I don't buy a tool unless it will increase my profits. Of course as far as toys go we have both learned to forgive the others weaknesses.

Mark
                  Last edited by ToUtahNow; 03-16-2008, 02:35 PM.
                  "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
                    She has very little say in what i do with the business. Anything that is purchased comes directly from business funds, not personal funds. How do you make a company run and grow without spending money?
                    This is how it works with me too. Business money is business money and I buy whatever tools I want with it. I don't use personal funds for tools. If she questions anything, I tell her how I need the tools to make money and its also a tax-write-off.
                    Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Ditto, newly married over the summer, she knows one thing without question....what I make is what I have left after expenses, tools are an expense, the receipts go to uncle sam's folder for when I file.

Comment

Coming up on 2 years married, 6 years together. She knows I'm the shopper in the relationship - I honestly had to teach her how to shop for deals at the grocery store even. Now, I've created a monster - at LEAST one new pair of shoes or purse on average every month.

So, mine's pretty lenient. I've always explained to the Mrs. Canuck that it's a deal, or it's on sale, or look how much I've saved honey, etc. Generally, I'm using personal money or birthday/Christmas money/giftcards, and I do what I can to get a bargain/deal/sale price, but she's understanding due to me buying tools to help complete, generally, what she wants me to get done around the house.

Also, if I know that that will not work, my Dad taught me a valuable lesson in life before I got married - it's always easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Comment

"Oh THAT tool?!?! I've had that for YEARS....surprised you haven't noticed it before!"

Please PLEASE do not tell him what lathe tools cost! He has been very supportive of my tool purchases, and generally I just need to let him know why I need a particular tool. His habits are guitars and musical equipment, so it's not like he doesn't understand why a good tool is a requirement. I just don't think he'll understand why a 1/2" roughing gouge costs $45.
                          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Anita and I have a preset spending limit of $300 each. We able to spend this amount without prior approval from the other and no validation needed afterwards.

It used to be half that amount until she went over several times so I had to up the limit.

This is a per month amount. No carry over into the next month, if unused.

My $300 limit can be applied towards tool purchases only. Her limit can be clothes, shoes, purses, etc. I rarely get anywhere near my limit. She regularly breaks hers by the second Saturday of the month.

So far this system has worked out very well for both of us. No one wants to argue over money.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                              Anita and I have a preset spending limit of $300 each. We able to spend this amount without prior approval from the other and no validation needed afterwards.

It used to be half that amount until she went over several times so I had to up the limit.

This is a per month amount. No carry over into the next month, if unused.

My $300 limit can be applied towards tool purchases only. Her limit can be clothes, shoes, purses, etc. I rarely get anywhere near my limit. She regularly breaks hers by the second Saturday of the month.

So far this system has worked out very well for both of us. No one wants to argue over money.
                              Similar idea for me and Mrs. Canuck, but it's at $200 each for the month (hey, isn't that about $300 American now??! ).

But, she still inspects my purchases. Especially if it's a month where I've got myself a nice shiny new Callaway golf club (Fusion is a wonderful thing, baby!).

Comment

Working...
                              X