X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FedEx Using Sprinter Trucks

In my area for residential deliveries FedEx is now using Dodge Sprinter 2500 trucks. These look to have the stretched frame and body but they are only 4 wheelers. That is they don't have dual wheels in the rear. They are equipped with gasoline engines. The problem that both FedEx and UPS face are the very narrow streets with parking on them. A larger truck simply can't get through and this has the local fire department very frustrated as they end up having to hand carry equipment and park the fire trucks along the more main roads. Maybe in time we will see Sprinter fire trucks?

In your area have you seen any Sprinter trucks being used by FedEx or UPS? How about DHL?

Re: FedEx Using Sprinter Trucks

They are even using them up here in the back woods.
    I think they are kind of goofy looking.
    I'm thinking they have more advantages other than being slender.
    Better on fuel?
    Easier to maintain?
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

I would think they would have wanted Diesel engines in them for fuel savings. Maybe there's the noise issue along with being a smaller truck. On my street I've seen FedEx show up with 10 wheel Freightliner trucks with 28 foot boxes on them. I think part of the using of the Sprinter may be do to not requiring the driver to have a class B CDL like for heavier trucks and lower insurance. I see loads of Sprinters in both 2500 and 3500 (6 wheel) versions around here. Most are service company trucks but more and more are for delivery service. I would think there would be issues with them being top heavy and flipping over. They sure look top heavy and especially if not correctly loaded.

Comment

I was unaware of the sprinter even offered with a gasoline engine. The Mercedes diesel under the hood (2.5L I5 in the older units, 3.0L V6 in the newer ones) is actually very quiet, and could easily be mistaken for a gasser.

As far as tippy, for some reason, they have excellent road manners from what I have been told, and that even though they look it, they dont feel like they are going to tip over taking a corner.

I plan on replacing my 98 Ram2500 van that I have with one of the Sprinters when I can afford it. The simple fact that its a diesel, and I can stand up in the back is a selling point for me... plus its a Dodge, and I am a Dodge guy.
        Last edited by Alphacowboy; 04-06-2008, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Yeap we got them here as well.

mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

True about the M B being a nice running Diesel engine but in the case of the FedEx truck you could tell by the exhaust smell that it had a gasoline engine. A neighbor has a Diesel MB model 300 turbo Diesel automobile and while it has some of the clatter it's sure very quiet next to any Diesel pickup I've ever heard.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
              True about the M B being a nice running Diesel engine but in the case of the FedEx truck you could tell by the exhaust smell that it had a gasoline engine. A neighbor has a Diesel MB model 300 turbo Diesel automobile and while it has some of the clatter it's sure very quiet next to any Diesel pickup I've ever heard.

They must be a special purchase then, as they dont offer a gasoline version on Dodges website, it could be the MB or Frieghtliner version has this option, but according to Dodge, they do NOT offer a gasoline version in the states.

It maybe one of the newer Blu-Tec diesels, with the DPF system on them, they really dont smell like a diesel anymore.

Comment

Most likely they were special order ones. These say FREIGHTLINER on them. They are the 2500 series - 4 wheeler.

Before too long, I bet we will see hybrid versions of the Sprinter.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                  Most likely they were special order ones. These say FREIGHTLINER on them. They are the 2500 series - 4 wheeler.

Before too long, I bet we will see hybrid versions of the Sprinter.
                  If and when the hybrid hits the market I will have to get one. I'm hoping they push the pace on the first few generations of hybrid pick-ups so I can get one soon without being the beta tester.

Eli
                  A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Originally posted by woodenstickers View Post
                    If and when the hybrid hits the market I will have to get one. I'm hoping they push the pace on the first few generations of hybrid pick-ups so I can get one soon without being the beta tester.

Eli
                    I think that hybrid pickups would make a lot of sense, just think how much the cable and other service companies would save on gas; because you see all those idling trucks at a job site all the time.

Comment

Working...
                    X