X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Unofficial" Garden Thread

Last year, I increased my garden to twice the size. I am going to do it again. After giving it lots of thoughts, I'm going for it. It takes a lot of work, to get your garden just right, plus the nuisance from deer and rabbits and the ever so popular, bugs......

This years crop, will be........

Peas
    Tomatoes (Yellow, Grapes, Cherry, and Roma)
    Broccoli (tough to grow here, but I'll try again)
    Cauliflower
    String Beans
    Strawberries
    Peppers (Bells and Chili)
    Carrots
    Potatoes
    Raspberries (we started those 3 yrs ago and got about a quart last year)
    Corn
    Cucumbers
    Celery
    And of course, many Herbs
    We also, got 3 plum trees to start growing, in the past month-month and a half. They are now about 3" tall.....

Anybody else going to grow your own food? We also enter some of our nice looking veggies into the local county fair, the kids are into that.....
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Re: "Unofficial" Garden Thread

I wish we do..

I can see my COSTCO MEMBERSHIP cancelled allready.

Comment

when we moved to PA 18yrs ago we had a very big garden and over the yrs it got smaller and smaller .so over the last 8 yrs no garden ,we have a lot of road side stands here wit cheep home grown veggies. so no more pulling weeds
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

My dad is hard core into gardening. Absolutely love the jalepenos and banana peppers he grows.

www.mvseeds.com is his favorite bulk seeds site. Hes is dying to get out there and start planting.

Comment

garager, how long is your growing season in Minnesota? I used to plant a garden but found i did not have enough time for the upkeep. Now I am switching to fruit trees, No weeding only pruning and spraying!!!
          ________
          Iolite Vaporizer Review
          Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:49 PM.
          Mike

Comment

Our growing season is about a month less then yours, I see your in Ohio. The main reason, our ground is still frozen solid longer then yours at spring time. Went out to my garden yesterday, no snow on top finally, and jabbed a shovel into it. Didn't make it far, about 1 1/2" , yep still frozen solid. I have a warm front porch, so we try to start some of of gardening in here, then replant when its the right time, this helps us with a longer growing season. But of course I'm limited to space, being in a front porch, but we can still get quite a few plants started a tad bit earlier.

Hey Josh, thanks for the heads up on that seed site, I'll be checking them out, later on when I find 20 minutes.....
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

We are big garderers. I put the sweet corn and red onions in the ground last Friday, along with a Spring 'salad patch'.
              Yum, can't wait.
              ken
              Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

We tried a garden twice and both times it was wiped out buy some crazy worm looking thing. Sent samples to the state and collage and both times it could not be ID. ???
                INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

If I could talk my wife into it, my whole side yard (5000 sq ft.) would be my garden. I have a couple of beds and grow the following:

12 different heirloom tomatoes
                  12 sweet and hot peppers
                  3 varities of pole beans
                  3 varities of cukes
                  3 varities of snow and snap peas
                  1 zucchini plant

Now that my 4 year old son is interested in gardening...we got mom to okay switching a flower bed to a garden bed for the boy. He wants to grow three types of bush beans...a green fillet bean, a yellow wax and a purple bush bean. Also wants some carrots and radishes.

I got into heirloom tomaotes about five years ago and am an active seed collector. I have about 100 different heirloom varities that I've collected through purchases and trades with other gardners.

A great place to read about tomatoes and other vegies is

http://www.tomatoville.com/

You have to register...but it is probably the best source on line for information.

Gardening is a big stress reliver for me. I was able to get into the garden this week and plant my snap and snow peas. Now, we are having all sorts of rain...so I hope I don't have to replant.

Comment

Garager,
                    Y'all don't grow okra up there?
                    Reason I ask is that my granddaughter just moved up to the Appleton (?) area from central Texas. She loves fried okra!!! We'll be coming up there in the summer, so I might have to bring her some.
                    BTW, when are county fairs usually held in your area? I think it'd be cool to meet some local folks while we're up there.
                    It's time to plant here, the mesquite trees are starting to put on leaves
                    Never get in an argument with a fool, bystanders won't know which one is which.....

Comment

The only thing I'm putting in this year is about 6 okra plants in a friend's garden. We don't have enough room here at the house to put in much of anything. I LOOOOOOOOOOVE fried okra and okra pickles!!! For some reason, even with all the local growers and farmer's markets, there's never fresh okra around. I'll fix that this year!!

Dad's the gardener in the family though. He's got 2 gardens that produce tomatoes in the thousands and the best veggies in the world! He already has the potatoes in the ground and probably has the peas started, I'd imagine. I know the tom's are probably getting ready too. There's also an herb part of the garden that is a neat place to wander. I saw earlier this year he has some herbs set aside from last year and has some new ones started. Should be a good year.
                      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

The wife and I have a small garden in our front yard (about 100 sq ft). We started our first one last year rather late after we settled in so didn't produce much. We plan
                        to start indoors this year and transplant outside accordingly when the ground is ready, assuming we get the timing right. Woke up to snow this morning so it will be a bit yet. We are going simple with some yellow & green onions, carrots, radish and maybe a few stalks of corn. For some reason finding strawberry seeds seems rather difficult, but will do some of those as well.
                        Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dog View Post
                          Garager,
                          Y'all don't grow okra up there?
                          Reason I ask is that my granddaughter just moved up to the Appleton (?) area from central Texas. She loves fried okra!!! We'll be coming up there in the summer, so I might have to bring her some.
                          BTW, when are county fairs usually held in your area? I think it'd be cool to meet some local folks while we're up there.
                          It's time to plant here, the mesquite trees are starting to put on leaves
                          Big Dog, Appleton is about 200 miles south of me, which makes a big difference in gardening. I do know of a few people who grow okra, but we are limited in our growing season vs most other places in the US. Our ground will still be frozen until mid-late March, then it starts to freeze in early-mid Sept. Some day I'll build that huge green house out of plastic and glass, until then, I gotta deal with the weather. Your granddaughter, should be able to grow okra down there, but it could be that your okra she likes the best, if you know what I mean.

I should also add, that I live right next to Lake Superior. This means our weather is cooler all summer long. Gardens like warmer weather, in which they do better in. So once again, this slows down my growing in the garden. We might actually get 20-30 days in the summer, which will hit 80 degrees. But if you get 5 miles away from our lake, it warms up quite nicely.

Comment

I wish I had time and place for a nice garden but I don't. I'm lucky there is the farmers market and some pretty good roadside stands I can buy from. What's sold in the big markets is pretty sad.

Comment

Garager,
                              It's cool to visit with you about gardens and weather. You talk about 20-30 days that you might hit 80 degrees....we might have that many days in the summer when our overnight low might be 80 degrees!
                              We're going to plant some cantaloupe, squash, okra, tomatoes, and peppers this year. probably try some peas, beans, and peppers, too.
                              Never get in an argument with a fool, bystanders won't know which one is which.....

Comment

Working...
                              X