X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lithium battery VS nicad battery availability

Now that the 3AH 18v lithium battery has been announced. I notice that E-bay has a large inventory of them at a price range from $50-75.00 [including shipping]. They are mostly claimed to be new never used and pulled from a kit. Some are actually in their own individual "sealed" bubble package.

Home Depot has priced the 18v 3AH lithium at $99.00 each. Of course these batteries are not found at any of my local Phoenix AZ area stores.

I notice the 18v 1.9AH nicad battery for sale on E-bay has also increased while the availability of the 18v 2.5AH nicad battery for sale on E-bay has reduced in numbers.

It also seems the smaller 18v amp-hour rated lithium battery is not as popular.

Ah! here comes the questions.........

1. Are the 18v 1.9AH nicad batteries on E-bay being sold by folks upgrading to the lithium
    line? If this is factual, how can they claim "new, never used"?

2. Where are these folks acquiring the lithium batteries? I know at $50-$75.00 they must
    still be making some profit! I want the source too, so I can buy these batteries at
    wholesale or below!

3. I notice some of the entities selling Ridgid batteries and/or tools are pawn shops. I also
    notice some are tool companies that offer refurbished tools, likely returns or warranty
    repairs. Pawn shops make me think "hot tools" Although today, I'm sure many folks are
    hocking lots of stuff.

4. After reading question 3, I realized in past discussions here, Ridgid power tools has given
    Home Depot license to sell and provide the "lifetime" warranty offer. Other stores listed
    on this website sell plumbing supplies and may offer some power tools. How come the
    other listed stores on this site can't also sell batteries etc.? If Ridgid is selling pallets to
    E-bay sellers or similar why can't they allow the lifetime warranty to be offered by their
    licensed distributors [for new stuff only, obviously!]?

5. I even see Ridgid tools on Amazon.com! What's that about?

6. Finally I still find it very frustrating that the Home Depot websites, local store or Internet
    sales never seem to have what this site says Ridgid has in power tools. I also find it very
    aggravating that I have to go to E-bay to buy supplies for my ridgid tools as Home Depot
    does not carry any consumables. I recently purchased 15 sanding tubes for the Ridgid
    sander. It consisted of all 5 sizes and 3 different grades of sandpaper for $15.00!!!!

Cactus Man

Re: lithium battery VS nicad battery availability

The question I have is can your standard ridgid charger charge the lithum ion batteries?, because as stated E-Bay has a boat load and I would very interested in picking up a couple as well a dual charger?

Comment

I would suggest that the older Ridgid rechargers cannot and willnot safely charge the new LI-ion batteries. Whether or not they are physically compatible (mechanically fit the older chargers) I really don't know, but would doubt it.

My experience with Li-Ion batteries (computer and communications equipment applications) is that they require a charge circuit that is specific to that technology. Improper charging can quickly overheat the battery and cause a flash explosion that is quite dangerous.

My 12-volt mini-driver comes with its own charger, that is "fitted" for that particular tool. Not sure what the other Li-Ion chargers are like, but I would think Ridgid/TTI has designed them to be exclusive and that the Li-Ion batteries themselves are designed to NOT fit the older Ni-Cad chargers.

Perhaps a call to Ridgid Technical Support might give you a more definitive answer.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarchand View Post
        The question I have is can your standard ridgid charger charge the lithum ion batteries?, because as stated E-Bay has a boat load and I would very interested in picking up a couple as well a dual charger?
        The older nicad chargers will charge lithium batteries. The only thing is the lights on the charger may not work correctly, but it will charge the batteries safely. That was the answer provided by Ridgid a couple month's ago.

Comment

A couple of months ago Pro Desk quoted a Ridgid engineering source claiming the older NiCad chargers could be used to charge the 18 volt LI batts. He noted the lights would not function correctly. I have tried charging 18V LI batts on a Twin Max a couple of times. It was not a reassuring experiance. After fifteen minutes or so the charger started cycling on and off while the lights were doing a skitzoid dance. I have decided to stick with the chargers designed for use with LI batts.

Comment

Working...
          X