Same Stale Stuff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Same Stale Stuff

Went to H/D today for some 2x4's and checked out the tool area, same old stale pictures of tools. No deals, no demos. Literally a handful of tools in boxes covered in dust. Real appealing and good for sales. What the hell is H/D and these tool manufacturers thinking? The shelves should be well stocked and tools should be on display to be handled. Maybe a demonstration or two, they use to do that years ago!

Re: Same Stale Stuff

True that they used to do that years ago, but years ago they had a lot more employees that cared and knew what they were talking about. But those employees became a financial liability, so like all good things that cost too much, they were replaced with cheap imitations.
    It's along the same lines as the airlines cutting back one olive out of your in flight "salad" to save millions each year. Or plywood mfg's cutting back 1/32 of an inch on the thickness, or some auto makers no longer providing spare fuses in new cars. A penny saved here, saves millions when multiplied.
    My thought is; Here's my penny, give back my friggin olive!
    Jack

Comment

Originally posted by res057 View Post
      True that they used to do that years ago, but years ago they had a lot more employees that cared and knew what they were talking about. But those employees became a financial liability, so like all good things that cost too much, they were replaced with cheap imitations.
      It's along the same lines as the airlines cutting back one olive out of your in flight "salad" to save millions each year. Or plywood mfg's cutting back 1/32 of an inch on the thickness, or some auto makers no longer providing spare fuses in new cars. A penny saved here, saves millions when multiplied.
      My thought is; Here's my penny, give back my friggin olive!
      I agree. I want to handle the tools. I want to see them on the shelves, in stock. Pay the workers and let them have the confidence to learn the job and products. If they don't care, why should we?

Comment

Yeah but when big business starts to struggle, good deals become of that equation.

Here's mine:

One

Two

Three

I had to start a commercial account to get these but that's okay.........charge it!

See the price of those generators?

I was told to set up an account, it will go to a bid table in Atlanta Georgia and from there the guy told me that they usually come back anywhere from 8%-33% off the price showing.

If I bought straight from off the pallet, I would of paid nearly $1300 a generator.

He showed me what they had as far as cost on those generators, $957 and some change. He had no problem showing me what they had as far as cost goes because he knows just like I do.......we all have to make money.

I bought 6 of those generators for under a grand a piece, tax included. So I paid below what they had in cost with these units just so they could move them since they are timelined.

My charge to the credit account was $6000.33 for those generators. You cannot beat that kind of deal.

My thinking is they are hurting something fierce these days and just to be moving money has got to be better than no sale at all.

I'm going to link this post to another thread going about generators.

I "think" I got a good deal but we'll see; I bought 2 extra generators for parts if the 4 I have in use have problems or fail when I need them most.

They are 8000 watt generators with 13,500 watt peak startup. Electric start, has an hour meter along with a low-oil light.

Comes with an extension cord that's thicker than 1" pipe. It's a Briggs and Stratton 15HP OHV with 7 gallon fuel tank.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
          Yeah but when big business starts to struggle, good deals become of that equation.

Here's mine:

One

Two

Three

I had to start a commercial account to get these but that's okay.........charge it!

See the price of those generators?

I was told to set up an account, it will go to a bid table in Atlanta Georgia and from there the guy told me that they usually come back anywhere from 8%-33% off the price showing.

If I bought straight from off the pallet, I would of paid nearly $1300 a generator.

He showed me what they had as far as cost on those generators, $957 and some change. He had no problem showing me what they had as far as cost goes because he knows just like I do.......we all have to make money.

I bought 6 of those generators for under a grand a piece, tax included. So I paid below what they had in cost with these units just so they could move them since they are timelined.

My charge to the credit account was $6000.33 for those generators. You cannot beat that kind of deal.

My thinking is they are hurting something fierce these days and just to be moving money has got to be better than no sale at all.

I'm going to link this post to another thread going about generators.

I "think" I got a good deal but we'll see; I bought 2 extra generators for parts if the 4 I have in use have problems or fail when I need them most.

They are 8000 watt generators with 13,500 watt peak startup. Electric start, has an hour meter along with a low-oil light.

Comes with an extension cord that's thicker than 1" pipe. It's a Briggs and Stratton 15HP OHV with 7 gallon fuel tank.
          No doubt you got a great price compared to the stores and I agree that when the stores are hurting it's just a matter of time before they lower prices to move merchandise. Personally I always liked getting a good deal, comparing prices and haggling because I worked hard for my money. I still want that good deal, but dam it if something doesn't turn around all the good deals won't matter much. I'm not preaching rose colored glasses here but the worse the stores do and the worse they treat their employees, the more those who are working and making money will have to make up for it at some point. Same as all those illegals working for spit and the folks hiring them think they are making out like champs, the joke is on us because we have to pay for all the services they use and all the taxes they don't pay. I hope the stores choke on all them big screen tv's and that goes for the car dealers filled to the brim with cars. You can't sell cars to folks who are getting their pay and benefits cut, their jobs shipped out to india or china. Hey, enjoy your generators in good health and make plenty of money with them.

Comment

My personal view is if a store doesn't stock and display whatever item, I might as well buy online from some discount place that has little or no shipping charge.Also if I feel they charge too much for the the item I buy online,a reasonable profit in a store I don't mind paying for.
            Where I live part time in California is a bit remote and many stores have a huge markup,enough that many people there buy online or drive to a big box in Oregon then they save on not paying tax too.The Ace hardware there I will rarely buy from as the markup is huge and the staff act like they are doing you a favor being there to take your money.The same item from an Ace 20 miles away can be much cheaper sometimes.And the same item at a non franchised hardware store 2 blocks away is always cheaper,both have limited stocks on some stuff.An example is not long ago I needed a bunch of metric set screws.The local Ace wanted about 87 cents each and only stocked a few so he would order them.Online the same screw but better quality was 12 cents each with free shipping over 50 bucks order,so I ordered them in box amounts that I'll eventually use up.The Ace guy would only make an order the next time the bolt rep was thru so waiting time was near 2 weeks,online I had them in 4 days at my front door.
            Exwife and I had a store biz for a few years and operated it on the idea of if we didn't stock and display it at a fair price they bought elsewhere.We did special orders often for people and gave them options on that too.We had very loyal customers and did well only closed because we split up.
            A store is there for the personal service if thats lacking people buy elsewhere unless its low priced.
            Sam

Comment

Funny thing about HD. There are three of them near me and you would swear they are different stores. One gives me the creeps just walking in. One has great displays and the third is in between. I'm guessing it has to do with the manager. The first one still has the >$500 sticker for the 3650 and the "salesperson" said that's the only price he knew of. The place where I got mine was very helpful and knowledgeable. It's farthest from the house but now they get my business.

Comment

Just a note of caution on the generators,

Do not take that surge rating seriously,
                about all it means is if the generator is loaded for a micro second at surge rating watts, it will not kill the engine or burn up the generator, instantly, It may start a electric motor if it gets up in that range, (on start winding) but the generator will pull down the frequency will drop and the electric motor will grunt along,

but for the most disregard any surge rating on a small generator, DO not plan on using it, in other words, you will be greatly disappointed,
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                  I agree. I want to handle the tools. I want to see them on the shelves, in stock. Pay the workers and let them have the confidence to learn the job and products. If they don't care, why should we?
                  Frankiarmz: Your statement describes what the typical HD tool shopper experiences at HD these days and I hope corporate HD begins to take note of it! For example its annoying that the 3 pc 24V Ridgid kit is untouchable at the HD. There is no display models except for a picture describing the product. I had to open one of the packages just to see some of the advantages in order to make the switch to 24V such as weight, size, and extra features. Obviously I learn more at this forum about Ridgid products. Most of the HDs I visit have the 12V R82007 without batteries and I can go on but the point is poor marketing efforts by HD that need to be addressed in addition to newer competitive Ridgid products.

Comment

Originally posted by reconx View Post
                    Frankiarmz: Your statement describes what the typical HD tool shopper experiences at HD these days and I hope corporate HD begins to take note of it! For example its annoying that the 3 pc 24V Ridgid kit is untouchable at the HD. There is no display models except for a picture describing the product. I had to open one of the packages just to see some of the advantages in order to make the switch to 24V such as weight, size, and extra features. Obviously I learn more at this forum about Ridgid products. Most of the HDs I visit have the 12V R82007 without batteries and I can go on but the point is poor marketing efforts by HD that need to be addressed in addition to newer competitive Ridgid products.
                    I see it as lost opportunity to make sales. You are a professional and will buy and use many more tools than a retired homeowner such as myself. The tools use to be on display with batteries , you could feel the weight and make a better decision. I know they have problems with theft and vandalism but buying based on specs and pictures is not as enjoyable an experience. We test drive vehicles, and try on clothes, tools require a feel! I hate to get on these threads and complain because I like my Ridgid tools and would like to see Ridgid do well. We've beaten the charging lithium batteries on older charger issue to death, same with the Ridgid radio and many other topics including misinformation regarding the Amp Hour rating of the compact 18volt lithium. The folks in charge at Ridgid must know something we don't because if I was running things the information given out would be correct and there would be more of a selection of tools available to the consumer.

Comment

Working...
                    X