X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How "Lite" is Your Refrigerator?

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
    I'm living proof to the contrary.
    I had an overall cholesterol of 270, I forget what the LDL/HGL was, but my doc told me I was either going to have to try to get it down naturally or become dependant on a drug like lipitor for life.
    He then explained that 80% of our cholesterol levels are dependant on heredity/genetics, it was very unlikely I'd get it down substantially with diet alone.
    I gave it 4 months, ate whole grains, as little saturated & trans fats as possible, LOADS of shrimp & other seafoods (woohoo!)....got it down 100 points to a normal, healthy level in 4 months.
    I need to be CLEAR on something...there are 4 main types of fats:
    Saturated (BAD)
    Trans fat (BAD)
    mono unsaturated (GOOD)
    Poly unsatured (GOOD)
    Assuming that if something tastes bad it's good for you is silly.
    What you need to do is look at labels, and become familiar with foods that are healthy/unhealthy....NOT just the overall fat, but the different types of fat listed on the labels.
    An example is margarine, look at the label and you'll see that some brands are high in mono & poly unsaturated fats while low on trans/saturated fats.
    I love shrimp with garlic & margarine, red meat (lean cuts- strained as cooked to drain fat when it's hamburg), & skinless chicken.
    There are foods I love, that I just can't eat anymore, like parmesian cheese, beef/pork sausage, bacon, eggs (with yolks).
    There are also fat free alternatives, like chicken/turkey sausage, fat free cheese, & egg beaters.
    One of the most frustrating things is trying to find the right foods at the supermarket, so many products simply toss low calorie, low sodium, & low sugar into the same bag to lure consumers into buying healthy when all I need is low trans/unsaturated fats.
    What I said was just an opinion, but what you did is fact. I'm glad you had such good results and discipline. Keep up the good work!

Comment

Hmmm....pretty light for me and not that lite for Robert

FROZEN SECTION: Beef from costco,boneless chicken breast from costco, big bag of mixed veggies from costco with brocolli,peppers,carrot,califlower etc.., big bucket of vanilla ice cream with red syrup in it, burritos for robert, hot dogs for robert

Normal section: medium sharp cheddar cheese, italian salami,bologna,sour cream,skim milk all from costco...2 big bags of broccoli that we eat each night,36 eggs,parmesan for me,bottle of lemon juice for my tilapia,asain honey mustard dressing for me,thousand island for robert,tortillas,hot dog buns from costco,bread from costco,currently coconut vanilla cream cake that i BEGGED ROBERT TO GET,big bucket of country something brand butter from costco, bucket of smashed garlic,onions,and that is ti i think...not sure...gotta check..be right back..

Comment

Originally posted by mrs. westcoast View Post
        Hmmm....pretty light for me and not that lite for Robert

FROZEN SECTION: Beef from costco,boneless chicken breast from costco, big bag of mixed veggies from costco with brocolli,peppers,carrot,califlower etc.., big bucket of vanilla ice cream with red syrup in it, burritos for robert, hot dogs for robert

Normal section: medium sharp cheddar cheese, italian salami,bologna,sour cream,skim milk all from costco...2 big bags of broccoli that we eat each night,36 eggs,parmesan for me,bottle of lemon juice for my tilapia,asain honey mustard dressing for me,thousand island for robert,tortillas,hot dog buns from costco,bread from costco,currently coconut vanilla cream cake that i BEGGED ROBERT TO GET,big bucket of country something brand butter from costco, bucket of smashed garlic,onions,and that is ti i think...not sure...gotta check..be right back..
        .....gave up waiting....

Costco must love to see you come through the door

That reminds me, we haven't had hot dogs in over a year Now I'm really craving one

I found a recipe cut out of Cooking Lite magazine on the kitchen table for tofu burgers. Tore that thing up into tiny pieces

Um...36 eggs? Did you forget to hide your Easter eggs?

Eeeuuuwww!!... Coconut vanilla cream cake??

I think depriving me of all the food that I love just makes me over indulge when shes not around.

Girls night out tonight...."Hello?.. Charlie Chiangs?..yes I'd like to place an order of Peking Duck for delivery, please. Yes, extra pancakes"

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
          Open you refrigerator and tell me does it look like mine.

What used to be whole milk is now 2% low fat. Not as good but I'll tolerate it. I alone average 3 gallons a week.

What used to be 2% is now Soy Beans turned into milk? That's just not right.

Farm fresh eggs are now Eggbeaters. Why bother?

Butter is now Omega Buttery Spread. Yeck!

Bacon is now Turkey bacon (or what I like to call; Fake Bacon)

Jif Peanut Butter is now Omega 3. Refused to try it.

Hellmanns Real Mayonaisse is now reduced fat mayonaisse. I fought this one pretty hard. Made a pretty big fuss over it but by the looks of what's on the shelf, I lost

My wife is on a health kick lately. She does all the grocery shopping so I'm stuck eating this stuff.

Don't even get me started on what's in the pantry....
          I only eat bacon about 3 times a year.

I have been drinking 1% milk for over 10 yrs now.

My Peanut Butter, never goes into the fridge. But I only go through a small jar a year.

Reduced fat mayonnaise, I've been using for 3 yrs now.

The one thing my wife loves and I hate, veggie noodles. Yuck

My biggest problem is cheese, I love my cheese....
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
            My biggest problem is cheese, I love my cheese....

Sharp, real sharp cheese is so addicting.

That pepper jack can be good.....but dangerous depending how many times you eat it in one day.

I honestly can say I don't buy cheese as a rule because I cannot discipline myself not to eat a whole bunch of it at one time.

Same with candy; keep it out of view and I'm fine with it. I sometimes wish easter was about something other than candy when it comes to neat colored foiled goodies.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
              Sharp, real sharp cheese is so addicting.

That pepper jack can be good.....but dangerous depending how many times you eat it in one day.

I honestly can say I don't buy cheese as a rule because I cannot discipline myself not to eat a whole bunch of it at one time.

Same with candy; keep it out of view and I'm fine with it. I sometimes wish easter was about something other than candy when it comes to neat colored foiled goodies.
              I love chocolate and try to avoid it since once I start eating I usually go overboard. I was doing okay this Easter until my teenage daughter said she didn't want her chocolate bunnies. She gave me two and my wife gave me one. One good thing is that the brand we buy Russel Stover shrunk their 8oz to 7oz this season, so over the next few years they will weigh almost nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                bill, that shot of you eating my cherry will haunt you for life

rick.
                Rick, stop talking about that cherry, it doesn't even sound right.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                  Rick, stop talking about that cherry, it doesn't even sound right.
                  Poor Ben...
                  I can't wait till June

I agree it does sound kinda creepy.But after a few days around Rick your gonna find that he don't care bout stuff like this.

Comment

Fresh Raw Goat milk,

fresh eggs from the chicken coop,

cheeses some boughten and some home made goat cheese, mostly a form of mozzarella.

usually boughten cow butter, either salted or unsalted, but if I want I can whip up a tub of goat butter, have the cream in the barn refrigerator.

meat from the home raised Beef, grass feed mostly, butchered on the farm.

home raised chickens in the freezer as well.

and we did for years home grind our home raised wheat for bread, wife baked about 12 loves a week, but since the kids moved out we mostly buy it now.

just got done planting hull less oats for the kids and us to have to grind or roll, and use for animal feed.

and the rest we usually buy, but wife has a large garden in the summer, so we get a fair share of fresh vegetables in the summer, and the cellar is full of canned goods, home and bought most of the other items.
                    Last edited by BHD; 03-28-2008, 11:28 PM.
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                    X