X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Kitchen Remodel

Well, been working on this remodel for probably 9 months, maybe longer, but I am just about finished... Finally! Its my kitchen in the basement. The original kitchen was done when my parents lived here when I was in 3rd grade. I remodeled it due to the fact that the upstairs remodel is going to take me a good couple years probably, so we'll be living down here for a while. Plus, other people have lived here over the years, and many of them didnt take care of the basement. The rest i remodeled years ago, but the kitchen was the last room left down here. Anyway, here are some pics!
    Old Kitchen in the process of getting torn out. As you can see, it was in rough shape. The doors were on the cabinets, but I already had torn them off by the time I figured I should take some before pictures.

And now, the new and MUCH improved kitchen!!!

I still have some painting to finish on the trim, and have some trim pieces for the cabinets I still need to make. Plus put the white 1/4" on the bottoms of the cabinets to finish off the bottoms where the lights are mounted. There is a piece of decorative molding that wraps the bottoms of the upper cabinets, but I need to go to the shop and make that still. And some smaller crown for the cabinets under the sofet area (wish that wasnt there, but there is mechanical there I couldnt move). And still need base shoe for all the cabinet lowers, but its alot nicer than it was! Dont mind actually using the kitchen now! Only regret is that I didnt put in heated flooring, I thought about it, and now wish I had, but oh well. Its just a little chilly by the door.
    Cabinets are Walnut that is stained. Countertops are a natural stone look alike laminate, to be honest, I actually like it better than natural, easy to clean, doesnt scratch to easy, and there is no seams in the corners like most granite. Back splash is Natural Travertine, with polished stone inserts. Best part is, that is left over from different jobs. The 6x6 pieces were left over because a lady changed her mind on where she wanted stone, so I ended up with a large enough amount left over to do the entire back splash, and I couldnt return it, and she didnt want it. The polished stone decoritive pieces are left over from a shower floor I did. And the 4x4 were from another back splash I did. Never pays to return the stuff when they hit you with a 25% restock fee.
    My brother built the cabinets, brothers also helped me tear it apart and redo it, I did all the tile, painting, drywall and electrical.

What ya'll think?

Re: My Kitchen Remodel

If that's your basement kitchen I can't wait to see the upstairs one when it's finished.

Can I move in?

Comment

That's a beautiful kitchen. I was at Lowes and saw the selection of laminate...really has come a long way and I really like what you picked out.

Comment

looks ood

steve
        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Shweeeet!!!

Comment

Thanks guys! As this is what I do for a living, my stuff always comes last... which I know more of you probably are the same. Last thing I want to do when I get home from work is to work, but hey, I do enjoy it though.

Its kinda funny, alot of people do work on thier houses because they want to one up the Jones' or just because they saw it in a magazine and have money to burn. I on the other hand, love doing what I do, and sometimes what I want to do, over shoots my budget, but not because I want the best of the best, but because its my passion. So, my upstairs remodel will have to take a back seat for a while, as I just dont have the capital to do what I want. I have 9.5 acres, and am thinking about splitting it off and building one or 2 more houses on the land. (1 in 2.5 acre requirement) Wish the housing market hadnt taken a dump when it did, but oh well, in time.

Glad to see you guys like it... definately a makeover of what it did look like!

Comment

WOW that looks nice! The new laminates are really amazing. I love the look, and how everything comes together. The under-cabinet lights are very nice, too. Well done!
              I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I love the tile work! Good work with a classy theme like that will never go out of fashion. I pull out a few tile back-splashes a month, but never anything that looks like that. The cabinets/doors are very nice too. Did your brother make them all from scratch? I really like the wrap around the wall there into the hall too--makes the space look so much bigger.

Great design!

Eli
                Last edited by woodenstickers; 04-02-2008, 11:31 AM.
                A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

can;t wait to show it to my husband when he come shome

Comment

That is NICE. Great work

Just a little FYI regarding BS restocking fees. By law Maine only allows a "restocking fee" Not to exceed $500. So on a big ticket item it may be worth returning. We are SOOO far behind the times in Maine, I assume in many other states it's about the same if we do it. No store will fill you in on this little fact.
                    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Looks very nice. My wife is now full of ideas. Thanks pal......
                      Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

No Problem guys, glad I could help create more projects!!

Comment

Working...
                        X