X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• angie's list

i've received a call from a marketing person at angie's list today.

the salesperson actually left a message that the average "ticket" for plumbing is $1,200. and they want me to join.

this either tells me that the marketing person is either desperate to find new plumbers to refer or he is full of the stuff i play in all day

please tell me how anyone can average a $1,200 ticket from a list of this nature?

i haven't returned his call yet to hear his story, but it sounds like the same garbage that i hear from the better business bureau on a yearly basis.

they claim that my customer is inquiring about me and it would be to my interest to join their organization. another outright lye when i challenged his statement.

does anyone here solicit jobs from angie's list and what is your experience?

rick.
    phoebe it is

Re: angie's list

No experience with angies list, but the BBB is a total joke. If you join thier group you get good reviews and recommendations, if not they don't know who you are or give a bad review. Pay them and it does not matter how bad your work is they will send people to your door!
    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      i've received a call from a marketing person at angie's list today.

the salesperson actually left a message that the average "ticket" for plumbing is $1,200. and they want me to join.

this either tells me that the marketing person is either desperate to find new plumbers to refer or he is full of the stuff i play in all day

please tell me how anyone can average a $1,200 ticket from a list of this nature?

i haven't returned his call yet to hear his story, but it sounds like the same garbage that i hear from the better business bureau on a yearly basis.

they claim that my customer is inquiring about me and it would be to my interest to join their organization. another outright lye when i challenged his statement.

does anyone here solicit jobs from angie's list and what is your experience?

rick.

Whelp, time for me to brag. Oh wait, that would make me a

Here it goes:

I've won the Angie's List Super Service Award 5 years in a row in the state of Kentucky, the only plumber in the state of KY to win it. I've got 96 reports and my competition is so distant that there's no chance I'll ever be caught up to.

I don't compete with Ohio because I just don't. I don't work over there. The only reason I've won that award is because I'm a one man band, I control the situation so there's no possible way someone else can screw it up.

Of course though.....if you're a bigger company it isn't always possible to have the master plumber come to your door. I however have been thinking seriously about how people percieve me when I "should" be having hired hands doing the job. At some point I need to be the brain box only to the career and hang up the hat and tools and give the body a rest. It's coming for me and some of the health problems I hear from you guys, I'm sure you're ready for the paper side only of the business. I'd appreciate the graduation away from manual labor in regards to accomplishment.....that doesn't mean I'd totally walk away from it. Something for you plumbers to take notice of; you've heard of a plumber or plumbers leave the profession due to health reasons (I was there on that threshhold in 99') and if you don't have your ducks in a row, you are going to have a truck and garage of tools you can't use. Being a hurt/injured plumber is like a nurse with a bad back; serves nothing and you're forced to find another profession. I'd rather be heads up to my plight and have the ability to choose my next direction before the hammer drops.

I'm just stating that I want to earn money from what my mind does and not my hands.

On topic:

I haven't advertised with Angie's List in years......when I did I had a 12 word print ad in the back of their book and it was useless like **** on a fish. Got one call in 2 years and it was for an estimate 24 miles away.

AL customers are mostly college educated, group their plumbing tasks on an elective front but don't mind paying for services when the reputation follows, knowing there's not going to be any nonsense BS to double spending because the tech didn't have a clue.

My opinion?

Don't do it; I've managed all these years without it, I'm the front man in my state and with that comes a phone that's ringing weekly from that group of customers. They are very particular and hardcore information seekers which I have no problem with. I got a story about a certain member that took overcomplication to an extreme.......

but I enjoyed his indecisive and critical ways...

I made $1700 installing a kitchen sink. I'm not making that up.

Installed 4 sinks from Moen, every one of them was hard bowed and the clamps wouldn't hold it down. Each time I told him to get another product, he'd have Moen ship another one and I'd be right there for the earning.

The last one did work....
      Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 04-07-2008, 07:36 PM.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I know a guy that got stiffed by a customer.
        When he sought legal action she joined Angie's list and gave him a scathing review.
        It meant absolutely nothing...from what I've learned Angie's is a place where individuals whom are motivated enough to pay the membership will go to extoll their praise or lack there of.
        Seems it doesn't really work in reverse.
        I had one guy a couple of years ago rave about my great prices, said he'd put a good review on Angie's.
        It appears he was hoping that might be incentive for me to further lower my price.
        I reminded him there was a membership fee to join...I never did get that review.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
          I know a guy that got stiffed by a customer.
          When he sought legal action she joined Angie's list and gave him a scathing review.
          It meant absolutely nothing...from what I've learned Angie's is a place where individuals whom are motivated enough to pay the membership will go to extoll their praise or lack there of.
          Seems it doesn't really work in reverse.
          I had one guy a couple of years ago rave about my great prices, said he'd put a good review on Angie's.
          It appears he was hoping that might be incentive for me to further lower my price.
          I reminded him there was a membership fee to join...I never did get that review.

I've been the victim of bad report on AL and I also been told countless times I'm going to get a report.

The bad report (all F's) only counts as 1/5th when no work is done, counts as full when work is performed. I had a woman call me on a friday evening, said she had a moaning/vibration in the lines and it was getting worse. I asked if it "had" to be done on a friday night and she said she was concerned that it needed to be addressed.

I told her I was on a job and was experiencing difficulty, be there after 6 or 7pm. She agrees and tells me that her husband will be there with the kids and he'll be able to let me in.

I call at 7:19pm exact, tell him I was enroute and I just got finished and wanted to take a break and I'll be there before 8pm.

Here's his response:

"You better get in your truck and go back home because you're not coming over here tonight."

????

He then tries to reschedule for monday morning....I felt this was a $130/hour to $85/hour decision done hastily at my expense and I simply refused.

Anyone who's going to back talk me in first knowing them is going to lose their chance to use my services. Anyway, the wife then calls on wednesday, left a message as I knew who it was and she was acting like she wasn't aware of anything. B-S!

So, I got a bad report and they told some white lies,
          I turned around and slammed them in print for their attitude, their cost-cutting to avoid charges, and being P3WNED by the leading plumbing contractor because the two of them cannot communicate in the same household to know when the plumber is coming.

I got high praise from AL for being a contractor who stuck up for themself, didn't take it laying down. It's not always true what the customer puts in print and it's your sole duty to retort in print to save grace.

It's a list that if you ever get on the wrong side of the grade equation, it can crush sales.

I know a company on there that has 3 reports, do just as good as work or even better than me. That's a shame because it's a struggle to get to the top.

Anyone that promises me a report and doesn't give me one, they lose the ability for the top plumber on the list in their area to do work for them.

That's the unspoken rule that I don't tell them when they nod their head and say yes, I will give you report and then never see one. You just lost a plumber and that's your problem for not holding to your word.
          Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 04-07-2008, 11:34 PM.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
          X