X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Windows

Ok guys... I feel like I am using the community by asking a question like this but oh well. I think I can do that as the Admin

Our old windows have lead paint on the sills and they are horrible in the winters. Caught the twins playing with the paint chips yesterday . So.. I figured the best way to clean it up is to have the windows replaced.

Do any of you have a rough estimate of what I should end up paying for decent windows? Any suggestions on model of window? I only have 9-12 windows total to replace so I wont go completely broke doing it.

Just looking for a little guidance.

Thanks everyone,

Josh

Re: New Windows

Went thru the window selection about 2 years ago. Saw the gamut.....really cheap to really expensive and all in between.

Mom and pop , local-type window places were running about 300-500/window installed. Larger companies (a la Andersen, and some bigger home improvement companies around here [not HD, Lowes, Sears]) were running 600-800/window installed. That price was for vinyl windows, some were good quality some I wouldnt use in my shed.

Also depends on what type of windows. My house has zero (count em, ZERO) double hungs, which are the easiest, most common and cheapest windows available.

Check out www . replacement - windows . com message boards. Lots of good people (and installers) on that board to give advice.

After going thru it, your best bet is actually the smaller sized local window places. Better service and install, and usually better prices. The window quality might not be top notch, but if the service is there when you need it its not such a huge deal (FWIW, I ended up with VERY expensive Schuco windows........but only because they were the only ones that made a horizontal slider that I thought was good enough to replace my existing ones).

-Chris

Comment

Get a toxicity level blood test on both of them and see if it was more than a random exposure. I'm sure you know that a great deal of shiny colorful toys inhibit the same characteristics.

We went with Pella windows and no complaints whatsoever. $300-$650 an opening.

Wood inside, aluminum clad outside. Years later and no swelling, no moisture between the panes of glass. Wood inside can be stained or painted to match the casings.

Best money spent? Go with Low E gas between the glass, other wise it's a pain in the arse. The gas helps stops fading of materials when sunlight constantly sits in one place from outside along with helping with your cooling bills in the summer.

The cheap versions of replacement windows are horrible.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

We just had windows put in two weeks ago. We went with "Renewal by Anderson"

Give me a call if you wanna talk about them.
        Steve
        www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Just make sure you investigate your installer for references thoroughly. A cheap window installed properly will provide decent service. An expensive window installed wrong will make you hate life. Installation is the most important part of the job, as important if not more so, than the quality of the window.

Comment

josh more then the windows make sure the installer is a good one, bad installer with good windows = wasted money in heating and cooling bills, but cheap windows with a good installer could save you some money.

also i am with dunbar, GET THE KIDS CHECKED OUT!!!
            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

We called the babies doctor today and said that if it was small amounts they should be fine. Continued exposure is where the real risk is.

We are on the fence on this one. I caught em pushing the window up and down when I walked in from work. Wife just walked upstairs for a minute. While I was watching them one of em stooped down and picked up the paint chips in the window sill. I checked their mouths and neither of em had anything in them. There were some paint chips on the floor so they may have been playing with em for a couple minutes.

Went home over lunch and cleaner the entire floor really well as well as getting rid of any loose chips.

I'm not even positive that it was lead based paint. but it was darn old and looked like scales so I am assuming it is.

Still on the fence on this one. taking twins into the hospital for blood tests is no easy task.

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                We called the babies doctor today and said that if it was small amounts they should be fine. Continued exposure is where the real risk is.

We are on the fence on this one. I caught em pushing the window up and down when I walked in from work. Wife just walked upstairs for a minute. While I was watching them one of em stooped down and picked up the paint chips in the window sill. I checked their mouths and neither of em had anything in them. There were some paint chips on the floor so they may have been playing with em for a couple minutes.

Went home over lunch and cleaner the entire floor really well as well as getting rid of any loose chips.

I'm not even positive that it was lead based paint. but it was darn old and looked like scales so I am assuming it is.

Still on the fence on this one. taking twins into the hospital for blood tests is no easy task.

Josh
                Josh, would a quick coat of paint to seal the loose chips help divert their attention? Just until you can deal with the window replacement. You might also try to let them choose a couple of pictures or posters for an adjoining wall, to further get their minds off the windows.
                Last edited by Frankiarmz; 04-09-2008, 02:54 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

We have the windows locked up now. It was just in the Sills. They wont get at em anymore. I hope to nail down a deal on the windows in the next month or so.

Thanks for all your help guys. I really do appreciate the advice.

Josh

Comment

Josh,
                    Just want to pass on some information for you and the members. I do not want to alarm anyone but lead paint should be "handled" properly:
                    Common renovation activities like sanding, cutting, and demolition can create hazardous lead dust and chips by disturbing lead-based paint, which can be harmful to adults and children.
                    Congress passed the Residential Lead-Based Paint Hazard Reduction Act of 1992, also known as Title X, to protect families from exposure to lead from paint, dust, and soil. Section 1018 of this law directed HUD and EPA to require the disclosure of known information on lead-based paint and lead-based paint hazards before the sale or lease of most housing built before 1978.
                    March 31, 2008 - To better protect children from lead-based paint hazards, EPA issued a new rules for home improvement contractors and maintenance professionals who renovate or repair pre-1978 housing, child care facilities or schools. The rule requires that by April 2010 contractors and maintenance professionals be certified, that their employees be trained, and that they follow protective lead-safe work practice standards. Trained contractors must post warning signs, restrict occupants from work areas, contain work areas to prevent dust and debris from spreading, conduct a thorough cleanup, and verify that the cleanup was effective.

More information can be found at EPA websites or your state guidelines. In Boston, MA I had to remove lead paint from walls and windows up to a certain height (I forget the exact how high) that children cannot feast on the chips and all debri was treated as "toxic waste".

Just in case the cost is too high: I purchased all of my 400 series Anderson windows at the local HD. Windows are easier to install these days since they incorporate a nailing flange or wing around the windows perimeter and low expansion foam is readily available.
                    Last edited by reConx; 04-09-2008, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                      Josh,

A lead test was part of our kid's yearly physicals. The doctor drew the blood (only a drop) in his office, and sent it to a state lab that sends him back the results. I think in NYS it might even be required.

Comment

I had 23 new windows put in last Nov. by Thompson Creek Window Company. Wow what a difference in heating costs. Can hardly wait for summer. They guaranteed at least 35% savings in energy.

Every window was custom made. Came to $275/window. Lifetime no fault guarantee on glass and screens (already had 2 screens replaced for free caused by storms)

www.ThompsonCreek.com

They are nationwide I believe

1 year...same as cash

My sister said I ate lead paint as a child and I turned out normal so don't worry too much about the twins

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post

My sister said I ate lead paint as a child and I turned out normal so don't worry too much about the twins

Tis true, I did the same.

The reason I mentioned that is because if it is an older home, little ones walking barefooted on painted steps down to a basement, holding a banister that's been painted numerous times, outdoor swings that are old and painted with the lead paint that wore like iron......all of these can be contributing lead exposure.

As mentioned.....it's a brief test done at a doctor's office....and I agree, once a year is state law in my state as well to make sure all red flags are exposed in a living condition. The paint chips I don't think was severe at all.

Remember this,

Most if not all garden hoses have lead to make them flexible. I drank from garden hoses for years as a kid.

I'm still alive even though my left eye blinks uncontrollably and still wet the bed at age 38.
                          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I had 10 windows replaced by Champion. I'm not sure if they go as far as you are located in Ohio, but they did do a couple of windows on my parents house in Sandusky. The 10 I had done cost $5000. Four of those windows were very large (over 48" wide). I definitely noticed a difference in the comfort and heating bills. They were in and out in 1 day. The window(s) will be replaced for free if there is ever a problem with them, even if I were to break the glass.

Comment

josh make sure the contractor you use puts insulation in [ and a good amount ] sides ,top and bottom before they put them in . i had all mine done and they put a very little in and you can feel the cold coming in and the noise from out side .
                              i had to use some spray foam [ non expanding ] to fix it .
                              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Working...
                              X