Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Made In The USA For Real

Originally posted by JTROANOKE View Post
    Lets see - UAW worker including benefits - round numbers about 70 bucks/hr. Mexican worker including benefits - round numbers - about $5/hr. If there is 100 hours of labor in an automobile that is 7000 vs 500. When you are shipping by the trainload, I guarantee you you can ship a car from any plant in Mexico to New England for way less than the 6500 difference.
    This reminds me of a GE (maybe CSX) commercial that I've heard on the radio for quite a while, one of their locomotives can move 1 ton of freight 400 miles with 1 gallon of Diesel. That's pretty impressive, basically a car can move from El Paso, TX to NY for about $20 in fuel (2000 miles / 400 mpg * $4/gallon).

Originally posted by JTROANOKE View Post
    The lawsuits have nothing to do with it. Ford gets sued just as bad in US courts if a Mexican built Ford has issues as they do with an american built Ford.
    But if the Mexican factory destroys something or pisses someone off, they probably have a lot less lawsuit exposure.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
      VASandy, as a long time Union man I would say I disagree with your theory but I would rather calmly argue the point than say you are in trouble for your right to such an opinion. My experience and belief is that Unions got people together to fight for safer working conditions and benefits that employers were not about to give of their own free will. These safer conditions saved plenty of men and women from injury and death, the benefits allowed them to buy homes, cars and other consumer goods and send their kids to college. These are all good things to grow a society but they come at a cost. My upset and attention is directed at all the CEO's who walk away from failing companies with multimillion dollar packages. Instead of damming the Unions we should praise them for raising the standard of living and quaility of the working environment of their workers. With or without Unions the inescapable problem America faces is the fact that our higher salaries are necessary to function in our society. Now more than ever we need more income to pay for housing and the ever increasing cost of food and fuel. Unless we want to mirror the third world countries we sadly shake our heads at on tv, we must undertake a effort to turn things around and place blame where it belongs.
      Very well put, Frankie. I do try to stay neutral on Unions. My Dad was raised in the coal mines of WV. That is one place where unions were required. The cost of getting the better wages and safety concerns was a good number of lives. Without the unions, the death rate for mine workers would still be horrible, and would put Arctic crabbers to shame. I respect what unions have done for us (and that includes me). I hope the current labor leaders still keep the altruistic goals of the worker at heart, and don't allow the CEO greed to rule their decisions. I agree that the working man and woman need a strong voice to stand up for them. Let's just hope that the leaders of these unions don't decide to start acting like the CEO's.
      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
        Very well put, Frankie. I do try to stay neutral on Unions. My Dad was raised in the coal mines of WV. That is one place where unions were required. The cost of getting the better wages and safety concerns was a good number of lives. Without the unions, the death rate for mine workers would still be horrible, and would put Arctic crabbers to shame. I respect what unions have done for us (and that includes me). I hope the current labor leaders still keep the altruistic goals of the worker at heart, and don't allow the CEO greed to rule their decisions. I agree that the working man and woman need a strong voice to stand up for them. Let's just hope that the leaders of these unions don't decide to start acting like the CEO's.
        The death rates of Chinese coal miners makes any American occupation look safe. I'm not sure whether it is our Unions or our well-developed tort system that is responsible for that though. I tend to think our legal system is over-developed, basically forcing doctors out of business and greatly increasing the cost of business, but it does provide a good mechanism for sorting things out, holding corporations responsible, and compensating victims. The problem is that compensation often goes way overboard for things that aren't actually anyones fault.

Comment

Here is a tool company that tries hard to be all USA as much as they can. I can say that their impact sockets are far above the rest out there. Look at what's used on major production lines and what brand professional aircraft mechanics use. By not selling stock to the public they maintain far more control than do the big hog corporations.
          http://wrighttool.com/about/Diffrnce.asp

Here is a small company that's been around a good long time as they really are dedicated to using all USA made products to make their line of products. Again, by control of ownership they don't use slave labor over in other countries. Yes, you pay for their products, but their quality is high.
          http://www.testleads.net

And finally a company that's owned and operated by REAL Native Americans. The natives that were here before white man came over from the old world. They do have people of many races that work there, but it's great what they have and are doing today.
          http://www.simpsonelectric.com/main/...tric&s=History
          Last edited by Woussko; 04-18-2008, 10:29 AM.

Comment

what about big macs and whoppers..?

Comment

Working...
            X