X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made In The USA For Real

Please try to think hard and then post about a product that really is all or mostly made here in the USA with parts made in the USA and be a company where most if not all stock holders live in and are citizens of the USA. Think of even little small companies and what they make for sale. Then please post about them. Please remember that many products may be sort of USA made but have parts from all over the world. Let's not count them for this. Please keep this to TOTALLY made or 95% plus made here.

I'm going to try hard to locate and post links to letters from CEOs of small companies sent to The Federal Trade Commission regarding the false/incorrect/deceptive use of "Made In USA" on products and/or packaging.

Re: Made In The USA For Real

Anything grown or raised on BHD's farm is USA made.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
      Anything grown or raised on BHD's farm is USA made.
      As a wild guy known as DC Topcat would say "And, That be for KOTTT-TON PIKKK-ON SHO" It means without any doubts at all.

Comment

new balance sneakers

your question is not 100% realistic. For instance, toyota tundra are american made with mostly american parts but it's a japanese company. It does support american workers. Ford-american company-shipped the production of it's F-150 to mexico, supporting mexican workers. Which is better? Depends on your perspective. This is a global economy and every nation depends on each other for success.

Have you every seen "made in america" on the travel channel? hosted by the guy that played cliff in cheers? Good show.
        Last edited by gear junkie; 04-12-2008, 10:50 PM.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

How about the RIDGID Wrench. I dont know where the powder coat is made though

Comment

I wonder where the iron ore comes from and where the steel mills are that Ridgid gets their steel from. I'm pretty sure the Ridgid hand tools are far more real USA than most other brands. As for things being partly made here, they don't count. I really need to start over and state that I'm looking for things that are totally made in the USA from raw materials and parts that originate in the USA and where the companies are totally owned and operated by USA citizens. Now I'm really getting nit picky.

I'm sure that lots of hand made custom items would qualify to wear "Made In USA".

What got me started is that some companies will have the city and state of their headquarters on the label and or box, but they don't say just where the product is made. Take it apart and it's really from all over the world. It's true about countries having to rely on each other, but I can't stand the idea of supporting child slavery somewhere when it's totally based on evil and greedy people.

One thing that's all USA is "The Woussko Hut" whereby the trees that were cut grew on USA soil and the wood from them never left the state. Thus I think it's safe to say it was made in the USA and I can account that all labor was by USA citizens. Well, maybe it should be hounds in this case. rather than people.

Comment

Forrest saw blades are made in NJ but I have no idea where they source the steel or carbide from.

Comment

Everything I build is American built. Even most of the products I use are made in the USA.
                Last edited by garager; 04-14-2008, 01:04 PM.
                Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Yes to New Balance shoes. They are a stones throw away from me. Annual tent sale coming up soon.

Bad one is Dexter shoes. I worked a temp job there once, as an order picker.
                  Part of my job was to take cases of shoes out of the boxes that had Chinese writing all over them and put them in boxes that said Made in USA.
                  INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                  Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                    new balance sneakers

your question is not 100% realistic. For instance, toyota tundra are american made with mostly american parts but it's a japanese company. It does support american workers. Ford-american company-shipped the production of it's F-150 to mexico, supporting mexican workers. Which is better? Depends on your perspective. This is a global economy and every nation depends on each other for success.

Have you every seen "made in america" on the travel channel? hosted by the guy that played cliff in cheers? Good show.
                    Tough question and topic. I buy New Balance but the tag says Made in USA from imported materials. I agree that we are part of a global economy but I don't know how well the success part is going to play out. We have an enormous trade deficit and a couple of years ago President Bush wanted to take some action against imported steel and was more or less threatened by foreign nations and he backed down. Maybe I'm missing something but I can't understand how we can import so many of the goods we use, lose so many jobs, pay these extreme prices for fuel and food, and still turn the economy around? Made in America is a nice show but it would be shocking to see a show "Use to be Made in America".
                    Last edited by Frankiarmz; 04-14-2008, 12:11 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

A guy told me once that they imported frozen fish from Asia, processed it, added a tomato/cheese sauce, repackaged it, and could then note it as a Canadian product. I assume it is the same for other items, both in the USA and in Canada.

As far as New Balance, I remember a pedorthist telling me 10 years ago or more, that a lot of New Balance manufacturing was done offshore. Pedorthists/podiatrists/etc. used to love New Balance because of rigorous production/proper width fit. Hell, all I wore, both sneaker/boot/casual shoe 15 years ago was New Balance. All that changed. They have their different-width line of shoes, but they also have a standard width line that shows up in your mall-type, retail athletic shops.

Bottom line, the fit just isn't what is used to be.

Raw materials produced and assembled to a finished product is VERY hard to find in North America, probably impossible on mechanical/electronic stuff..........
                      I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Winchester, Remington, Mossberg, Colt, Smith & Wesson, Thompson Ctr, Dan Wesson, Ruger, any others?
                        sigpic

Comment

Victory Motorcycles are Minnesota, I believe. That being said, I'm sure there's a lot of offshore-sourced items on the bikes. Since it's the same company that makes Polaris 4x's, I'm sure Polaris has a good content of US-made stuff.

Harley-Davidson is the other US bike manufacturer. I do believe there's probably more offshore-produced items on HD bikes than Victory. You'd have to actually go through the factories to figure out what's coming in from other countries to figure out the content, though.

In the computer field, just about ALL of the circuit boards are made overseas. Even the cases are mostly Japanese or at least Asian in origin. IBM, HP, all have lots made in Mexico. Dell, too, has a bunch of Asian-sourced materials. Even Sun (midrange server manufacturer) uses a lot of offshore-based items. Mostly this is because the manufacture of circuit boards is an incredibly bad environmental industry.

Intel and AMD do have a lot of US-based chip factories. There's even memory being made right here in the US. A good amount of the USB memory sticks are US in origin. Crucial, I think, is one of the major vendors of US-made memory products. Hard drives are another story. Western Digital does make a good amount in the US, but I'm not sure about others. Then there's the question of materials sourcing. Who knows where the iron and substrate materials come from?

We've lost the major steel markets to overseas because of various factors. One of them is environmental pressure on the ore companies and refineries and smelters. There are still some steel manufacturers in the USA because of quality issues. A lot of the steel from offshore isn't made to the same quality standards as some of the end-users require. US military ship manufacturers are one example of companies that source US made steel. However, the Koreans and other Asian countries are finding newer and better ways to smelt steel. It's this innovation that the US is lacking.

We're now firmly in the "Information Age." We still have to have manufactured products, and our factories should be able to make things for US markets. Our big export at this point is information. Software to store and query information. It's a new world, and one that won't come easy for us.
                          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Rib-eyes and T-bones...
                            Never get in an argument with a fool, bystanders won't know which one is which.....

Comment

As best as I know, Allen-Edmond shoes are still either all or mostly USA. Sadly Red Wing is getting some parts of their boots made in China now. There used to be lots of USA shoe and boot companies, but they for the most part are history. John Deere tractors are mutt dogs anymore made from parts all over the world. Caterpillar is the same way. No telling what's on the inside.

Edited on 4/16/08 because I went apeus and put stuff on this post that never belonged here.
                              Last edited by Woussko; 04-16-2008, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X