X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone here work at home depot?

i put in an application at home depot, i was just curious how it is working there and what the pay is like. im interested in sales associate or asset protection positions mainly but im open to anything except cashier.

Re: anyone here work at home depot?

so is that a no?

Comment

There are a few Home Depot employees here but they do not check in every day.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

The information I have about working for HD is third party and partially anectdotal. Last winter one of the store employees suggested I consider applying for a position at HD. I told him maybe, and asked what they paid. He told me that with my experience they would probably start me at $11.00 an hour. I laughed! If I need to eat I can do better shooting rabbits and ice fishing and have a better time than working in some dog-snot HD. Eleven bucks an hour. Can you inagine?

Comment

$11 per hour to start would be about right for that type of position.
          www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Rafael,
            Maybe I need a reality check but the under the table rate around here is $20.00. No education required warehouse jobs are $15.00 and if you have the misfortune to go to a warehouse the lack of education is apparent. I see you live in LA. I inferred from what I read that LA has one of the highest cost of living in the US. How can people eat at 11 bucks? To say nothing of pay the rent.

I am going to investigate further and see what HD and Lowes pay in this area, maybe the guy was just blowing smoke.

Comment

Tom W,

I doubt very many people go to Home Depot and take a starting position assuming they will retire with Home Depot. My guess is most have other sources of income. Perhaps Home Depot is a second job or is supplementing a spouses income. I know in years past there were a lot of old-timers who had retired from the Trade and Home Depot gave them something to do. Today it seems no one that works there knows anything about the Trades so that may have changed.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Kentucky is not like Cal. or NY. Starting pay in this area is 7.50-8.00. Homes average 150 k instead of 600 k.
                info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Tom,
                  The cost of living is high out here, but there are also a ton of people with little to no skills except that they speak english and are presentable and need work. Supply and demand also applies to labor.
                  I went to school in western NY in the 1980s, I remember that grunt work at fast food joints was paying twice the min wage at the time because labor was scarce, but the same job in L.A. was paying min wage at the time.
                  I guess you need to find someone out there to find out what the pay is for your area. Just go to an HD and talk to the people who work there, I bet most will talk to you.
                  www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

An average pay for a HD or Lowes here in Charlotte, NC would be around 9-10/hr. Cashiers make less.

Comment

Me personally, I don't know how anyone could work at one of those places. I mean, come on, it's just a huge store full of thousands of unfinished projects. HELLO, I've got dozens of unfinished projects around my own house and I sure don't need to find anymore!!!!

Comment

I've started at HD in 2003 when I was 18 just as a college job. 4 1/2 years later and 5 store transfers later I'm still with the company as I work my way through graduate school. When I started with limited experience (worked in a True Value in high school) I thought the pay and benefits (tuition reimbursement at the time) were awesome. As I've heard from new hires they have drastically reduced their starting wage and I hear cashiers are being hired just a little above minimum wage.

From what I know of from my store transfers is the wages are loosely tied to a cost of living coefficient among all the stores. It ranges from 0-35 or something. 0 being some low cost of living like rural places and a 35 like Manhattan or LA. This is why wage numbers are so hard to compare. I will be soon transferring again from a store with a coefficient from about a 7-10 to a mid-20's store. When I transfer I will get a raise of about $1.50-2 an hour but is that really a raise since for example my rent will increase from $400/month at my current place to $650/month for very similar living conditions. Just an example of why comparing ranges of wages across the country is kind of pointless.

Comment

You might want to check out RetailWorker.com for some info on Home Depot. I know for sure there is a whole forum dedicated to Lowe's, and if I remember correctly there's a forum on HD also. If not, the Lowe's forum will give you some insight into work at a big box store. Good Luck.
                          Jim Don

Comment

look at rookie nyc police .start at 25k that is roughly 12.00 hr

Comment

RetailWorker.com appears to be down

metx is that comment towards me? i dont live in nyc for one and two and the police here get paid a lot more then that an hour and the cost of living is 1/4 what it is in nyc

Comment

Working...
                              X