Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• always check your load height....

Engineering Quiz:

A Backhoe weighing 8 tons is on top of a flatbed trailer and heading east on Interstate 70 near Hays, Kansas . The extended shovel arm is made of hardened refined steel and the approaching overpass is made of commercial-grade concrete, reinforced with 1 - 1/2 inch steel rebar spaced at 6 inch intervals in a crisscross pattern layered at 1 foot vertical spacing.

How fast must the driver of the 18 wheeler be going to slice the bridge in half?
    Attached Files
    Never get in an argument with a fool, bystanders won't know which one is which.....

Re: always check your load height....

Originally posted by Big Dog View Post
    Engineering Quiz:

A Backhoe weighing 8 tons is on top of a flatbed trailer and heading east on Interstate 70 near Hays, Kansas . The extended shovel arm is made of hardened refined steel and the approaching overpass is made of commercial-grade concrete, reinforced with 1 - 1/2 inch steel rebar spaced at 6 inch intervals in a crisscross pattern layered at 1 foot vertical spacing.

How fast must the driver of the 18 wheeler be going to slice the bridge in half?
    mass x enertia = disaster
    sigpic

Comment

ill bet if he was going a few mph faster he could have made it through!

Comment

that backhoe/ excavator weighs a whole lot more than 8 tons.

my work truck is 7 tons and it would have been a book of matches if it hit the bridge. even i know what drive thru's i can fit under. (not many)

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
          my work truck is 7 tons and it would have been a book of matches if it hit the bridge. even i know what drive thru's i can fit under. (not many)

rick.
          I thought you don't eat crap during the day. . . and you wonder why your cholesterol is high
          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
            I thought you don't eat crap during the day. . . and you wonder why your cholesterol is high
            i clean drains, i eat crap all day long. it actually lowers my cholesterol as noting stays in me

remember, if the truck doesn't fit, i don't go.

it's all the family dinners this week that is pushing my cholesterol up

now back to the 8 ton load.

i'm guessing the counterweight alone is 8 tons and the excavator is closer to 35-40 tons.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

my guess was pretty close 32 tons

Model
              R290LC-7
              Engine
              Cummins QSB5.9-C
              Operating Weight
              29,300 kg (64,600 lb)
              Bucket Capacities, SAE
              1.27m? (1.66yd?)
              Engine Rated Power
              200(147Kw) / 1900 rpm
              Max.Digging Depth
              7,500mm (24'7")
              Max.Digging Height
              10,160mm (33'4")
              Overall Length
              10,560mm (34'8")
              Overall Width
              3,400mm (11'2")
              Overall Height
              3,290mm (10'10")
              Travel Speed
              3.1Km/5.2hr(1.9/3.2mph)
              Bucket Digging Force
              17,200Kgxf / 37,920lbxf

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Backhoe 1

Concrete Overpass 0

Usually the bridge wins that match but not this time

He must have been going like 70 or 80 miles an hour right?
                Last edited by plumberscrack; 04-30-2008, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dog View Post
                  Engineering Quiz:

Not enough info--was the backhoe running and in gear as well as riding on the flatbed?

Comment

I am willing to bet that exactly 365 1/4 days after that incident the driver will have been fired for exactly one year.

Comment

I think if you saw the close up pictures of the tack hoe, you would see the score as

track hoe 0

over pass 0

I do not think either one won on this ride, the trailer is on the ground the cylinders on the arms of the track hoe are ripped apart and in general on big pile of scrap iron,
                      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                      attributed to Samuel Johnson
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I saw basically the same thing happen years ago with a redwood log.The log left the trailer but it took out about a 6' wide 3' tall piece of overpass.It took them a long time to fix because of all the extended fractures in the concrete.
                        Sam

Comment

Not to mention, load your equipment correctly. The "hoe" was loaded backwards. When loading equipment with extendable arms, you are suppose to load them with the arms facing rearward. If this trackhoe would have been loaded that way, the damage to this bridge and machinery would have been MUCH less, or dare I say no major damage at all. But, because it was loaded with the arm forward, when the machine hit the overpass it drew the arm up and into the bridge multiplying the damage exponentialy.

Comment

Working...
                          X