• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I am scared

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
    i tried and i do have google spell check and did not check
    i also have fire fox but it did not show it miss spelled
    Because it is a real word! That is what I meant by it cannot find the misspelled words that are just grammatically incorrect.
    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

i tried and i do have google spell check and did not check
      i also have fire fox but it did not show it miss spelled
      That's because "sow" is a word it is just not one I personally would use to address Joey.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        That's because "sow" is a word it is just not one I personally would use to address Joey.

Mark
        i know and it was not to come out that way
        she will still talk to me
        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Mark
          i know and it was not to come out that way
          she will still talk to me
          I was just gonna let the typo slip by without giving him a hard timeI am glad he is able to type at all.

I guess if Rick can type with 2 fingers he can type with 1 hand
          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
            I was just gonna let the typo slip by without giving him a hard timeI am glad he is able to type at all.

I guess if Rick can type with 2 fingers he can type with 1 hand
            thanks

Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
              Teaching 10th and 11th graders how to use a vernier caliper yesterday. I explain that each small line is .025 of an inch. So if you have 3 little lines, how much is it.? " I donno" Ok .025 plus .025 plus .025 equals ? " uhhhhh" Hmm maybe its the point 0 thing confusing them. Whats 25 plus 25 plus 25? Uhhhhhhh, Ummmmmmm. God help us all. Make sure you're dead before they have to take care of you.
              When I pose a simple math question to my fourteen year old daughter she accuses me of "trying to trick her" and my wife says I am being "mean". This is what we have come to, coddle instead of challenging. Blame the teachers and require nothing of the students. You are shocked by their inability to read a caliper? Ask them a few questions involving time and reading a clock! I'm willing to bet at least some can't make change without screwing up. While husbands and wives argue with eachother and attack teachers, the children continue to fall behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                When I pose a simple math question to my fourteen year old daughter she accuses me of "trying to trick her" and my wife says I am being "mean". This is what we have come to, coddle instead of challenging. Blame the teachers and require nothing of the students. You are shocked by their inability to read a caliper? Ask them a few questions involving time and reading a clock! I'm willing to bet at least some can't make change without screwing up. While husbands and wives argue with eachother and attack teachers, the children continue to fall behind.
                I have brought up the declining academic skills at department meetings several times. The administration blames poor scores on the "home environment" The middle school blames them on the elementary school and we blame both. The dept. head tells us to involve math in our curriculum to bring these kids up to speed. If I was so inclined, we would never actually get to the advertised curriculum because we would still be multiplying fractions at the end of the year. Be afraid. Be very afraid. These kids are graduating from high school with 4th or 5th grade skills at best. (and many worst) The inability of educators to standardize math, reading and writing curriculum has plunged the next generation into a hole that they will never climb out of. I commonly get kids in the 11th and 12 grade that can not read above a 4th grade level. They are incapable of writing a coherent sentence or using proper grammar or english. Yet they will all for the most part, be given an cap and gown and a framed diploma.
                For all of you parents out there, I cannot stress this enough. Get involved with your kids education. Demand excellence from your kid and the school. Never, Never let up. Your childs future is too important. Don't sit back and rely on the public school to get the job done, because they will not.

Sorry for the rant,.... Having a crappy day.
                sigpic

Comment

I believe a lot of the problem starts in the home. Even if the school is doing a poor job the parent has a responsibility to demand more for their kids. My youngest daughter and I talked last week about her education. She told me she doesn't remember my wife or I ever telling her she had to go to college yet all 6 of our kids went to college. I explained to her it was always assumed all of our kids were going to college so the goal post was not set at their High School graduation. My kids are not all working at the major but they all have great careers and they all are great parents. As a consequence there is no question in my mind all of my grand kids will go to college.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                    I have brought up the declining academic skills at department meetings several times. The administration blames poor scores on the "home environment" The middle school blames them on the elementary school and we blame both. The dept. head tells us to involve math in our curriculum to bring these kids up to speed. If I was so inclined, we would never actually get to the advertised curriculum because we would still be multiplying fractions at the end of the year. Be afraid. Be very afraid. These kids are graduating from high school with 4th or 5th grade skills at best. (and many worst) The inability of educators to standardize math, reading and writing curriculum has plunged the next generation into a hole that they will never climb out of. I commonly get kids in the 11th and 12 grade that can not read above a 4th grade level. They are incapable of writing a coherent sentence or using proper grammar or english. Yet they will all for the most part, be given an cap and gown and a framed diploma.
                    For all of you parents out there, I cannot stress this enough. Get involved with your kids education. Demand excellence from your kid and the school. Never, Never let up. Your childs future is too important. Don't sit back and rely on the public school to get the job done, because they will not.

Sorry for the rant,.... Having a crappy day.
                    After spending 29 years in the educational system, (some part time) I have to join in. I have to blame society as a whole. We accept poor quality in everything. Just go to any store and look what they are selling. Yes, there are some poor teachers, but there is one heck of a lot of good ones. What happens if they try to push a little--either Mommy and Daddy are storming in to the school, a lawsuit, or they let the kid quit. And WE tolerate it. Good teachers have to be dedicated to what they are doing (thank goodness many are) or they will pull the plug and get a better paying job with less stress and much more support. I know two sisters-one a teacher and one a dental hygenist. The hygenist makes double that of the teacher! I know, I know, it is much more important to have clean teeth than it is to educate your kids. But somewhere, somehow we are going to have to pay the fiddler. If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. ( Yes, I know that is an old saying, but very appropriate in this case) Get involved!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                      After spending 29 years in the educational system, (some part time) I have to join in. I have to blame society as a whole. We accept poor quality in everything. Just go to any store and look what they are selling. Yes, there are some poor teachers, but there is one heck of a lot of good ones. What happens if they try to push a little--either Mommy and Daddy are storming in to the school, a lawsuit, or they let the kid quit. And WE tolerate it. Good teachers have to be dedicated to what they are doing (thank goodness many are) or they will pull the plug and get a better paying job with less stress and much more support. I know two sisters-one a teacher and one a dental hygenist. The hygenist makes double that of the teacher! I know, I know, it is much more important to have clean teeth than it is to educate your kids. But somewhere, somehow we are going to have to pay the fiddler. If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. ( Yes, I know that is an old saying, but very appropriate in this case) Get involved!!!

Amen Brother, Amen
                      sigpic

Comment

I think there is kind of a double edged thing going on here. It seems there are a lot of kids who can't make change, but at the same time there is a lot of pressure that seems to be applied that the only right choice in life is you must go to college and that you need to start thinking about it in elementary school. Somehow kids just don't seem to get to be kids as much; and I'm only 26 and think that.

I'm all for college, I couldn't do my job without my Ph.D., and I'm saving for my kids (9 months and 2.5 years). The biggest problem is that I think there are a lot of people who just don't realize not everyone is cut out for it. It also means that just going to college isn't the same differentiator that it used to be, to stand apart on education you need a graduate degree.

At the same time, it seems like it would be the right thing for kids tolearn grammar for real at school (I learned more French and Russian grammar in school than I did English). I can't complain about my math education, but the sad state of the world is that I'm not even shocked by NHMaster's story.

There is enough "fat" in the curriculum that if the focus was shifted to important stuff, and passing wasn't so pitiful maybe there would be an improvement. You still get a passing grade even if you get almost half a regents exam wrong (55).

Comment

As I posted earlier not all of my kids are working in the field of their majors. My wife and I never went to college other than a class here and there but felt college was a place to teach our kids accomplishments and being responsible. Part of the deal was all of our kids went away for college.

The rules were simple, I would pay 4-years of tuition and books, 3-years of housing, two years of meals and one year of allowance. Some took a year or so to figure out it was not about playing around and some knew it form the start. Bottom line when they were through with college they were ready for life.

Mark

Comment

The rules were simple, I would pay 4-years of tuition and books, 3-years of housing, two years of meals and one year of allowance. Some took a year or so to figure out it was not about playing around and some knew it form the start. Bottom line when they were through with college they were ready for life.

Mark
                            Wow, Mark. I was truly spoiled. I always appreciated the fact that my grandparents paid for all my schooling, as well as all the grandkids that wanted to go to school. As long as we wanted to go to school with an end goal in mind, they paid for it. This included, books, housing, food, cars,and computers. 6 of the 8 grandkids went to college and grad school courtesy of them
                            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                              Wow, Mark. I was truly spoiled. I always appreciated the fact that my grandparents paid for all my schooling, as well as all the grandkids that wanted to go to school. As long as we wanted to go to school with an end goal in mind, they paid for it. This included, books, housing, food, cars,and computers. 6 of the 8 grandkids went to college and grad school courtesy of them
                              I'm sure your grandparents were very proud of all of you guys but as a parent I felt I needed to prepare my kids for life. Of the 6-kids only the youngest came home after college. I told her it was time to grow up and move out on her own (lovingly of course). When she found apartment rent was $1,800 per month here I told her to buy a condo with her two single cousins. She lived with her cousins for two years and walked away with an $80,000 profit. With that money she was able to make more choices in life and has since relocated out of State and runs a youth recreation program for a large county.

Mark

BTW: I reserve the right to spoil my grand children.

Comment

As I posted earlier not all of my kids are working in the field of their majors. My wife and I never went to college other than a class here and there but felt college was a place to teach our kids accomplishments and being responsible. Part of the deal was all of our kids went away for college.

Mark
                                Mark,

I think you've got a pretty good outlook on it. If nothing else, graduating from college shows you can stick through something for four years. I didn't go away to college, but was working before and during. My sister did go away, but wasn't working and lived on her own. I think we both got a lot of the benefit out of that experience.

I actually cared about college compared to high school (when I was a senior I was more concerned about my job, and just didnt' want or need to apply myself). My sister learned what it was like to pay bills when renting an apartment.

I think the most important lesson that my parents taught me (and my wifes parents taught her) was the example of working hard, and staying together. I hope to teach that same lesson to my kids.

Also, just remember as bad as it seems; there are plenty of young people who have their heads on straight.

Charles

Comment

Working...
                                X