Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am scared

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I am scared

    Teaching 10th and 11th graders how to use a vernier caliper yesterday. I explain that each small line is .025 of an inch. So if you have 3 little lines, how much is it.? " I donno" Ok .025 plus .025 plus .025 equals ? " uhhhhh" Hmm maybe its the point 0 thing confusing them. Whats 25 plus 25 plus 25? Uhhhhhhh, Ummmmmmm. God help us all. Make sure you're dead before they have to take care of you.
    sigpic

  • #2
    Re: I am scared

    That's ok. They have a future in civil service.
    ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: I am scared

      i know what your saying
      when a new helper starts and cant read what the small lines on a tape measure is they get one that has written 1/16 1/8 1/4 5/16 5/8 7/8

      or you ask them to scale something off a print and they say what do you mean
      Charlie

      My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040


      http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

      new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: I am scared

        you think that's bad

        when i was an apprentice and we had our firts semester basic math. i was surprised at how many apprentices couldn't read a tape measure.

        not the 1/2'' but the 1/8'' inch.

        forget about solving for square roots by hand

        rick.
        phoebe it is

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: I am scared

          I went to High School(a gifted magnet, mind you) with a guy that could not tell time on a real clock.

          Digital watches came out when we were little and that is what he always used.
          I love my plumber

          "My Hero"

          Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: I am scared

            Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
            I went to High School(a gifted magnet, mind you) with a guy that could not tell time on a real clock.

            Digital watches came out when we were little and that is what he always used.
            sow what does the big hand do
            Charlie

            My seek the peek fundraiser page
            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040


            http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

            new work pictures 12/09
            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: I am scared

              Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
              sow what does the big hand do
              Hawk, did you call her a sow?? oh well, rest assured spelling ain't that big a deal in school, either
              Never get in an argument with a fool, bystanders won't know which one is which.....

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: I am scared

                Think about all the kids that send text messages all day long. My grammer and spelling are far from perfect, but a lot of people these days don't have a clue. You can even see it when you read the newpaper. They rely on their computer for spell check and grammer check. These peoples parents paid a lot of money for their "higher education".
                ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: I am scared

                  Yes, I believe he did!

                  In college there was a program called "writing across the curriculum". Regardless of the class or your major you had to write at least one term paper, minimum 5 pages. It was realized that math and art majors were getting college degrees without being able to differentiate to, two, and too when writing.

                  And now look. . . .I married a guy that spelling correctly is foreign to him

                  Now, people take having spell check as the answer. It doesn't help to determine if it is grammatically correct in a sentence though.
                  I love my plumber

                  "My Hero"

                  Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: I am scared

                    Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                    Yes, I believe he did!

                    In college there was a program called "writing across the curriculum". Regardless of the class or your major you had to write at least one term paper, minimum 5 pages. It was realized that math and art majors were getting college degrees without being able to differentiate to, two, and too when writing.

                    And now look. . . .I married a guy that spelling correctly is foreign to him

                    Now, people take having spell check as the answer. It doesn't help to determine if it is grammatically correct in a sentence though.
                    To be fair had you enrolled Rick in the ESL class I suggested he would not have this problem.

                    Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                    I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: I am scared

                      Originally posted by Big Dog View Post
                      Hawk, did you call her a sow?? oh well, rest assured spelling ain't that big a deal in school, either
                      i am trying to type with one arm in a sling sow thats my excuse
                      Charlie

                      My seek the peek fundraiser page
                      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040


                      http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

                      new work pictures 12/09
                      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: I am scared

                        Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                        To be fair had you enrolled Rick in the ESL class I suggested he would not have this problem.

                        Mark
                        That's funny. But really it is not just him.

                        I had a health inspector come to my job to look at the apartments to ensure we were in compliance. He said everything was fine and he would mail me a report. He had just spent an hour walking around to the 15 units with a clipboard taking copious notes. I insisted he just give me a hand written report while he kept insisting on taking it back to the office and mailing in a typed report.

                        Finally, he said that he relied so heavily on the spell check feature that he could no longer spell. The irony is that the typed report still had typos!
                        I love my plumber

                        "My Hero"

                        Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: I am scared

                          Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                          i am trying to type with one arm in a sling sow thats my excuse
                          Yeah I could see how you could accidentally hit both keys at the same time as they are only SEVEN keys apart.

                          Mark

                          BTW: For anyone who cares the Google Tool Bar includes spell check.
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                          I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: I am scared

                            Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                            That's funny. But really it is not just him.

                            I had a health inspector come to my job to look at the apartments to ensure we were in compliance. He said everything was fine and he would mail me a report. He had just spent an hour walking around to the 15 units with a clipboard taking copious notes. I insisted he just give me a hand written report while he kept insisting on taking it back to the office and mailing in a typed report.

                            Finally, he said that he relied so heavily on the spell check feature that he could no longer spell. The irony is that the typed report still had typos!
                            When you consider many people give up their writing skills after they complete school it is not a surprise. As my work has been so report intense of late my skills seem to be coming back.

                            Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

                            I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: I am scared

                              Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                              Yeah I could see how you could accidentally hit both keys at the same time as they are only SEVEN keys apart.

                              Mark

                              BTW: For anyone who cares the Google Tool Bar includes spell check.
                              i tried and i do have google spell check and did not check
                              i also have fire fox but it did not show it miss spelled
                              Charlie

                              My seek the peek fundraiser page
                              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040


                              http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

                              new work pictures 12/09
                              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X