X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: $4.23 for regular.

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
    Conservation = Price Control
    They got to keep selling and when the demand falls some so do prices. We the people of the USA need to just try it. Even at the same prices stretching things a bit will pay off.
    Well, I don't know how much it will help since I still have to drive my truck daily, but I have found myself making the choice to stay in the slow lane when I am not in a rush and shadowing those big slow box trucks at 50-60mph rather than passing them. Even if it doesn't make much of a difference in my mpg it makes for a more relaxing commute with less lane negotiating.

I am SERIOUSLY thinking about getting myself an older diesel truck and converting it to bio diesel. Anyone know anything about it?

Eli
    A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Originally posted by woodenstickers View Post
      Well, I don't know how much it will help since I still have to drive my truck daily, but I have found myself making the choice to stay in the slow lane when I am not in a rush and shadowing those big slow box trucks at 50-60mph rather than passing them. Even if it doesn't make much of a difference in my mpg it makes for a more relaxing commute with less lane negotiating.

I am SERIOUSLY thinking about getting myself an older diesel truck and converting it to bio diesel. Anyone know anything about it?

Eli
      I know there are kits available and it involves time to collect the used oil (if you can get it)and process the finished product. You will need a safe place to work and store the fuel. Please consider the start up costs and availability of raw materials for conversion. I am thinking of a wood burning stove to cut heating costs. A pellet stove would be slightly more efficient and run longer between fills, but I am leary of the availability and cost of pellets which are a by product of lumber. I seriously think we will need broader based solutions. Like you and the other folks who must use trucks to earn a living the bio fuel alternative is not the answer. Maybe we should all come together in our respective trades and organize to protest and or petition our legislators to speed up some help. Can't imagine how much longer the truckers will last at this rate?

Comment

When I was a kid they would have gas wars where gas would drop to twenty three cents a gallon. In those days five dollars would get to me school all week and the beach after school and on weekends.

As many of you know I spend a lot of time on the road and lately some of my gas bills are running $800 a week. What really gets me is while going from State to State how much the price changes. A fifty cent difference is not unusual and I am not including the stations which are in the middle of no where and traditionally higher. I am leaving for Utah this afternoon so I guess I will have to go get a bag of money before I leave.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          When I was a kid they would have gas wars where gas would drop to twenty three cents a gallon. In those days five dollars would get to me school all week and the beach after school and on weekends.

As many of you know I spend a lot of time on the road and lately some of my gas bills are running $800 a week. What really gets me is while going from State to State how much the price changes. A fifty cent difference is not unusual and I am not including the stations which are in the middle of no where and traditionally higher. I am leaving for Utah this afternoon so I guess I will have to go get a bag of money before I leave.

Mark
          Mark here in Ct the prices vary quite a bit from town to town with the more upscale folks paying more. I'm truly happy you can afford to get around, just make room for a bigger bag of money.

Comment

On many of the motorcycle and scooter forums, people laugh and say something like "I hope it goes to $5/gallon so the SUV owners will be crying!" This mentality makes no sense! Everything they buy costs more, due to transportaion, polymer costs, etc., when oil goes up. Narrow-minded people are stupid!

I like getting 60-65 MPG, but I liked it better when it costs me $6 to fill up instead of almost $12...
            Steve
            www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

I remember a couple of years ago, when prices were just beginning to go up Rick and I drove to Lake Arrowhead. The gas prices were cheaper! We kept saying how is it cheaper to get a gas truck up a steep hill to fill the stations than right in the city
              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                I remember a couple of years ago, when prices were just beginning to go up Rick and I drove to Lake Arrowhead. The gas prices were cheaper! We kept saying how is it cheaper to get a gas truck up a steep hill to fill the stations than right in the city
                Could the real estate and labor costs be different enough to explain it in this situation?

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                  Could the real estate and labor costs be different enough to explain it in this situation?
                  Someone else will have to give an opinion too, but I don't think real estate is inexpensive there. I think it is relative affluent area considering a good chunk of homes are really vacation homes for people. But I am not sure. Who knows what the prices are now-it has been 2 years.
                  I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

i have a proposition to my boss that if i park my truck on the job i will be at for the next 2 1/2 months to give me 2/3 of the money i would use to take my truck home each night and back the next day . i will use a bike to get to the job it is about 3 mi away so i get extra $ and save them some $
                    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                      i have a proposition to my boss that if i park my truck on the job i will be at for the next 2 1/2 months to give me 2/3 of the money i would use to take my truck home each night and back the next day . i will use a bike to get to the job it is about 3 mi away so i get extra $ and save them some $
                      Wow! you can ride a bike with one arm in a sling? I can't ride one at all Did he go for it-seems like a great idea.
                      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                        Mark here in Ct the prices vary quite a bit from town to town with the more upscale folks paying more. I'm truly happy you can afford to get around, just make room for a bigger bag of money.
                        Sadly it is not about being able to afford it as it is part of the cost of sales. Consequently I just increased my one hourly rate by 14% and the other by 18%. In addition, I had to increased my Per Diem by $20 per day. You always worry about increasing your rates so you wait to watch the economy and the next thing you know you are a couple of years being the COL increases. I would say over the last seven years I have seen my business cost increase by at least 50%.

Mark

Comment

Sadly it is not about being able to afford it as it is part of the cost of sales. Consequently I just increased my one hourly rate by 14% and the other by 18%. In addition, I had to increased my Per Diem by $20 per day. You always worry about increasing your rates so you wait to watch the economy and the next thing you know you are a couple of years being the COL increases. I would say over the last seven years I have seen my business cost increase by at least 50%.

Mark
                          I know insurance rates have also increased significantly. I think it was 2 years ago now that Rick's insurance to cover him to work in HOA's increased 400%.

I have also noticed produce prices slowly creep up and now they seem really expensive.
                          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                            I know insurance rates have also increased significantly. I think it was 2 years ago now that Rick's insurance to cover him to work in HOA's increased 400%.

I have also noticed produce prices slowly creep up and now they seem really expensive.
                            Sadly that is one of our largest increases as well. The part that gets me is I never had a claim the entire time I was in business yet my rates continued to go up. The bottom line is the qualified contractors are supplementing the cost of losses related to the unqualified contractors.

Mark

Comment

Sadly that is one of our largest increases as well. The part that gets me is I never had a claim the entire time I was in business yet my rates continued to go up. The bottom line is the qualified contractors are supplementing the cost of losses related to the unqualified contractors.

Mark
                              It is a shame. Rick has never had a claim either, but also has the continued increase. It is keeping the honest people honest
                              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Originally posted by smorris View Post
                                On many of the motorcycle and scooter forums, people laugh and say something like "I hope it goes to $5/gallon so the SUV owners will be crying!" This mentality makes no sense! Everything they buy costs more, due to transportaion, polymer costs, etc., when oil goes up. Narrow-minded people are stupid!

I like getting 60-65 MPG, but I liked it better when it costs me $6 to fill up instead of almost $12...
                                You have a healthy attitude which understands we are all in this together. I get upset when I read some of the folks here who think this problem does not affect them because they can afford the gas. Well, it may not directly affect them now or even in the near future but it may. People will cut back more on certain construction and improvements as the economy worsens due to the price of oil and everything it impacts. The incidence of crime both violent and non-violent will increase as people become more desperate. I sure don't want my gas tank punctured by someone looking to steal my fuel. I'm not looking to stand on a chair and preach world peace and love thy brother, but things are gonna get ugly even if you can cover your bills.

Comment

Working...
                                X