Icecream, You Scream

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Icecream, You Scream

I admit I have a bit of a gut so I probably should not complain, but they keep shrinking my icecream container! That half gallon became 1.75 quarts last year and now it is only 1.5 quarts. This weight reduction has happened to many food items, what was once a pound is now the same price and only 12 oz.. I predict that at this rate in five years a half gallon of icecream will only weigh 6oz.!

Re: Icecream, You Scream

It's funny as a kid I watched candy bars go from 3-cents to 5-cents then they cut the size in half and charged a dime. At the time I was sure life would stop but then RC Cola came out with the first 16oz soda. At that point I realized there is always a balance to junk food.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

frank, i go back to the good old days of thrifty drug store.

a single scoop was 5 cents.

a double was 10 cents.

and a triple was 15 cents

i would get 3 singles instead of a triple

current price deals...

best priced ice cream was at McDonald's in thailand.

7 cones for a dollar

i would give them away to friends and locals

best price on a milkshake.

k.f.c in queenstown new zealand. 50 cents

any other dessert questions

rick.

most expensive place to buy a can of coke. venice, italy $7.50
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        frank, i go back to the good old days of thrifty drug store.

a single scoop was 5 cents.

a double was 10 cents.

and a triple was 15 cents

i would get 3 singles instead of a triple

current price deals...

best priced ice cream was at McDonald's in thailand.

7 cones for a dollar

i would give them away to friends and locals

best price on a milkshake.

k.f.c in queenstown new zealand. 50 cents

any other dessert questions

rick.

most expensive place to buy a can of coke. venice, italy $7.50
        Ouch for that can of coke! Okay Rick, I'll keep quiet and eat my icecream.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
          Ouch for that can of coke! Okay Rick, I'll keep quiet and eat my icecream.
          I just got him some ice cream too, with chocolate sauce, slivered almonds and mini chocolate chips. Actually, Rick's was frozen yogurt

Your thread made him want a fix
          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

I remember when "regular" loaf of bread was only 14 cents (long loaves were 17 cents) and it was fresh from the bakery everyday. You could buy "day-old" at the bakery thrift store for about a nickel. In Binghamton, NY where I grew up, you could go to the bakery's back door after 7:00 pm and get a basketfull of a variety of baked goods for about a quarter. It usually consisted of donuts, a variety of rolls, and maybe a couple of loaves of rye or whole wheat bread.

Today, fresh bread is a pet peeve of mine. You go to any of the local stores and the stuff is as hard as a brick and the "freshness date" (best if sold by) is still two weeks away. How can anyone claim that their bread is good two to three weeks after is was made? Guess they mean it won't mold until then!

Old joke, but even more relative today.... At 63 I must be getting stronger. When I was a kid I could barely carry $3.00 worth of groceries, now I can carry $30 in just one arm!

CWS

Comment

Well im not nearly as old as Rick, so i wasnt around when they invented ice cream.

But i do remember in the summer time here (more memories then anything else) there would be 3 water ice trucks that would come around daily, and 2 different ice cream trucks. One of them was Mr. Softee. That was the best ice cream. Sundaes, soft serve ice cream cones.......Ahhhh the good old days
              The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
                Well im not nearly as old as Rick, so i wasnt around when they invented ice cream.

But i do remember in the summer time here (more memories then anything else) there would be 3 water ice trucks that would come around daily, and 2 different ice cream trucks. One of them was Mr. Softee. That was the best ice cream. Sundaes, soft serve ice cream cones.......Ahhhh the good old days

Comment

What is a water ice truck? Does it have something to do with scrapple?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
                    What is a water ice truck? Does it have something to do with scrapple?

Flavored ice....

no, no resemblance to scrapple....but scrapple is a damn fine meal
                    The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

Comment

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post

(
                      I resemble that remark too

Never heard of a water ice truck Must be an east coast thing.
                      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Irvine Robbins, who as co-founder of Baskin-Robbins brought Rocky Road, Pralines 'n Cream and other exotic ice cream concoctions to every corner of America, has died at age 90. Robbins had been ill for some time and died Monday at Eisenhower Medical Center in Rancho Mirage, Calif., said his daughter Marsha Veit.

While the company advertised that it offered 31 flavors, in fact it has created more than 1,000 flavors, according to its Web site.

Generations of kids trooped to Baskin-Robbins stores to buy ice cream flavors like Jamoca, Daiquiri Ice, Pink Bubblegum, Nuts to You and Here Comes the Fudge.

"Frankly, I never met a flavor I didn't like," Robbins told The New York Times in 1973.

Some were short-lived and created to mark specific events, such as Lunar Cheesecake for the moon landings and Valley Forge Fudge for the 1976 bicentennial.

When the Beatles were to arrive in the United States in 1964, a reporter called to ask whether Baskin-Robbins was going to commemorate the event with a new flavor.

Robbins didn't have a flavor planned but quickly replied, "Uh, Beatle Nut, of course."

The flavor was created, manufactured and delivered in just five days, according to the Web site.

Robbins opened his first ice cream store in Glendale, Calif., in December 1945, following his discharge from the Army. He used $6,000 from a cashed-in insurance policy his father had given him for his bar mitzvah.

Robbins offered 21 flavors at the store.

"In light of what Baskin-Robbins was to become, that first store was incredibly amateurish," according to a biography by his daughter Veit. "It was called 'Snowbird' because Robbins couldn't think of anything else. The opening was delayed for a day because the paint on the floor hadn't dried."

His cousin Sybil Hartfield bought $39 of the first day's sales of $53, according to the biography.

His brother-in-law, the late Burton Baskin, opened his own ice cream store in neighboring Pasadena a year later. By the end of the 1940s, they had joined forces to create Baskin-Robbins. Robbins recalled they used a flip of the coin to decide which name came first.

They also decided to sell their stores to managers, pioneering the franchise concept for ice cream stores.

As corporate policy, employees were allowed to eat all the ice cream they wanted, because, Robbins said, "I don't want my employees stealing."

Robbins was dedicated to upholding the quality of his ice cream regardless of the cost, his daughter said.

"Everybody has a proprietary interest in ice cream," Robbins told the Times for the 1973 story. "All you have to do is mention ice cream and everybody has a flavor."

Baskin-Robbins was sold to United Fruit Co. in 1967, but Robbins continued to work for the company until retiring in the 1970s.

Today, Baskin-Robbins is part of Dunkin' Brands Inc. and has more than 5,800 franchises worldwide.

In addition to his daughter, survivors include his wife, Irma; another daughter, Erin Robbins; a son, John Robbins; and sisters Shirley Familian and Elka Weiner. His son is a noted author ("Diet for a New America") and advocate of vegetarianism and natural foods.
                        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I saw this last night but was too tired to go back and post
                          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                            I resemble that remark too

Never heard of a water ice truck Must be an east coast thing.

Wow they dont have Ritas Water Ice out there???

When Rob i drop Rob off at the Philly airport, ill pack him a case of water ices to take home with you guys

Just crushed ice in a cup with flavoring. Then they have these things called Gilatos Its ice cream on the bottom of the cup, then water ice in the middle, then ice cream on the top, they are awesome, i get rootbeer water ice all time with them...fantastic

Comment

We have sno cones-same concept
                              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Working...
                              X