X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pacific Ocean Park

As a kid while I was growing up in the San Fernando Valley we would have to choose between going to Disneyland and going to POP. Rick and I talked about it a little tonight but we had different recollections of where it was. Just for fun this Thread is dedicated to POP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ7yugaQF-0

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Re: Pacific Ocean Park

Okay I totally scored with this link. It gives a great history of POP plus there are pictures which show both POP and the current Santa Monica pier. This will give Rick a better idea of where it was.

http://pacificoceanpark.tripod.com/

Mark

BTW: It looks like you (Rick) were right about the carousel though.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 05-07-2008, 12:36 AM.

Comment

I never knew about the first POP you referred to. I grew up blocks from Kiddie Park, the now Beverly Center.
      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

remember mark, you have 10 years on me

and i have 12 on joey

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          As a kid while I was growing up in the San Fernando Valley we would have to choose between going to Disneyland and going to POP. Rick and I talked about it a little tonight but we had different recollections of where it was. Just for fun this Thread is dedicated to POP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ7yugaQF-0

Mark
          Growing up on the east coast I am not familiar with POP, but I watched the Youtube video. Plenty of tv programs from that era used the park. What was the eventual cause for it's downfall? Real estate developers?

Comment

We also talked about the first Hot Dog on a Stick which was across the Boardwalk from Muscle beach. Here is the first place which opened in 1946. After the founder died he left the company to the employees so today it is an employee owned operation.

Mark
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
              Growing up on the east coast I am not familiar with POP, but I watched the Youtube video. Plenty of tv programs from that era used the park. What was the eventual cause for it's downfall? Real estate developers?
              I believe it was Disneyland and Marineland getting more popular and then a fire.

Mark

Comment

Marineland. . . .there is name I haven't heard for a while.
                I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                  The ferris wheel, which was recently sold was in tons of movies. It was one of the first solar powered ferris wheels. The new ferris wheel is suppose to arrive in about 10 days It is more energy efficient with lots of LED lights.
                  I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Not to leave anything out here is a picture of Muscle Beach. From about age five on my summers were spent at Muscle Beach because my mom would do all of the people stacking stunts. I would love to find some of the old pictures with her on the top of a 15 person pyramid.

Mark
                    Attached Files

Comment

Not to leave anything out here is a picture of Muscle Beach. From about age five on my summers were spent at Muscle Beach because my mom would do all of the people stacking stunts. I would love to find some of the old pictures with her on the top of a 15 person pyramid.

Mark
                      That was at Venice Beach not Santa Monica Pier Isn't it?
                      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                        The ferris wheel, which was recently sold was in tons of movies. It was one of the first solar powered ferris wheels. The new ferris wheel is suppose to arrive in about 10 days It is more energy efficient with lots of LED lights.
                        That ferris wheel was never at POP and was only install at the Santa Monica Pier in 1996. That's what started Rick and I talking about Piers.

Mark

Comment

That ferris wheel was never at POP and was only install at the Santa Monica Pier in 1996. That's what started Rick and I talking about Piers.

Mark
                          LOL. The pier is what we know as Pacific Park. I didn't know that is what you guys were talking about. I was sewing an eyelet on my dress.
                          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

That was at Venice Beach not Santa Monica Pier Isn't it?
                            Nope, that is just South of the Santa Monica Pier right where the new (20-years ago) lifeguard headquarter building is.

Mark

Comment

LOL. The pier is what we know as Pacific Park. I didn't know that is what you guys were talking about. I was sewing an eyelet on my dress.
                              Yeah Pacific Park came many years after Pacific Ocean Park was torn down.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X