Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: free copper come and get it

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
    Have you ever heard of the Darwin awards? It is a list of the most stupid things people have done through the year that usually end with them killing themselves. It is the survival of the fittest (less dumb).

It usually floats around in an email every year.
    Originally posted by shup View Post
    gear junky said:

This is why animals eat their young. Thinning the herd.

shup

Or as I like to put it.........thats the ultimate price you pay for being stupid
    The Other Rick

Comment

I just heard on the news some idiots in Washington cut up an elementary school playground to turn in for scrap!

How do you walk in with a playground without getting questioned unless the people at the scrap yard are in on it somehow?
      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
        I just heard on the news some idiots in Washington cut up an elementary school playground to turn in for scrap!

How do you walk in with a playground without getting questioned unless the people at the scrap yard are in on it somehow?
        You tell the scrap yard you installed new gender neutral, non competitive, lead-free and safe play ground equipment and took the fun one out.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

The people at the scrap yard don't ask questions, they pay very little and hope they don't get caught. While working in the South Bronx we had a aluminum pulling frame that cost several thousand dollars stolen from the back of a truck. We found it at a nearby junk yard and the owner quickly returned it and apologized. He paid twenty dollars for it and knew the fellow who brought it in was not the owner. This is the nature of that business and I'm sure they get fined when they get caught, but as our economy worsens these incidents will no doubt increase.

Comment

Originally posted by threecreeks3 View Post
            Nature has its own way of weeding out gene pools
            Sam
            and there is NO lifeguard in the gene pool

steve
            In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
              You tell the scrap yard you installed new gender neutral, non competitive, lead-free and safe play ground equipment and took the fun one out.

Mark
              You are too clever to be a crook
              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Down here, the latest trend is the thieves are taking the metal grates on the drains and manhole (excuse me personhole) covers. This leads to a huge safety issue for motorists, pedestrians and small children.

The scrap yard operators demand that they be paid for their return. If I had anything to say about it they would be prosecuted for dealing in stolen goods.

The scrap yard operators knew what they were when they were brought to the yard, pay the thief $10 and get $20 from the utility to return it, profit $10.

Comment

It is getting so bad here that the state legislature passed a bill last year to make scrap dealers copy a photo ID and get a physical address from the seller, just like the pawn shops. And its not only copper. Just last week an 18 yr old stole a 60 yr old lady's old car and sold it for scrap. (and it wasn't to feed his family). The new law also gives the police the right to stop any vehicle carrying more than 25 lbs of copper to check the invoice, etc.

Go
                  Last edited by Gofor; 05-29-2008, 04:37 PM.
                  Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Originally posted by billmoy View Post
                    Down here, the latest trend is the thieves are taking the metal grates on the drains and manhole (excuse me personhole) covers. This leads to a huge safety issue for motorists, pedestrians and small children.

The scrap yard operators demand that they be paid for their return. If I had anything to say about it they would be prosecuted for dealing in stolen goods.

The scrap yard operators knew what they were when they were brought to the yard, pay the thief $10 and get $20 from the utility to return it, profit $10.
                    If the town has a police department, they should get the local cops to pick it up the drain covers them. Might change their tune about wanting the $$$$. Don't the manhole covers have "Property of XXX" stamped on them. Seems like it would be something pretty easy to prosecute.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                      If the town has a police department, they should get the local cops to pick it up the drain covers them. Might change their tune about wanting the $$$$. Don't the manhole covers have "Property of XXX" stamped on them. Seems like it would be something pretty easy to prosecute.
                      There usually is some marking to identify the manhole cover. "NYT" was on our New York Telephone covers. Smaller municipalities may not have specific markings but if the authoirities wanted to press the issue all they would have to do is demand proof from the junk yard as to where the manhole covers came from. The only time we would junk one is if it broke and that almost never happened, which would lead to the assumption that it was stolen property. People sometimes put the strangest things in their back yards for a joke or conversation piece. Fire hydrants were very popular for a while, and new ones that were laying around not yet installed were the stolen quite frequently in the city. I don't know how much they weigh but in addition to theft, I'm sure the thief received a hernia!

Comment

the scrap yard should get locked up for receiving stolen goods
                        Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                        http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                        http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I dropped a drum of scrap off yesterday, I was getting eye'd as I pushed the cart to the scale.

$$$$
                          sigpic

Robert

Comment

Working...
                          X