X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Made in the USA Thread

Another random made in the USA thread. The forum has got me thinking about this more and actually looking at where things are made. Last weekend when I went to the Home Depot, completely on accident about 1/2 of what I bought was made in here in the USA.
    Leviton Voice Grade Jacks - USA
    Stabil -USA
    Cheapo Gloves - Unknown
    Mason Line (China) and a Cheap Plastic Spool (USA)
    Ideal Coaxial Compression Connectors (Taiwan)

Also some things that I'e got and noticed are made in the US according to the labels:
    Ideal Coaxial and Punchdown Tools (not surprising because they are really high quality datacom tools)
    Graco Snugride Carseat
    Britax Boulevard Carseat

I was a bit surprised about the car seats, especially the Graco which is a pretty inexpensive one.

Re: Another Made in the USA Thread

Just when i thought the Kobalt tool line was converting to only the made-in-China line up, Their new 38pc mechanic tool set (socket,rachet,etc) are proudly displaying made-in-USA flags/logos. They are made for Kobalt by the Danaher tool company with a lifetime replacement warranty. Other Kobalt tool sets like the impact sockets are also made-in-USA so I guess you got to look for the American flag symbol because not all Kobalt tools have the USA symbol.
    Last edited by reConx; 05-09-2008, 11:24 AM. Reason: update

Comment

Last weekend I bought a couple of folding banquet table leg sets at Menards that were USA made. Good quality too for not a whole lot of money.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Belleville boots, better than danners or redwings.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Thanks, cpw! You made me remember Klein tools. For a lineman/datacom worker, Klein have been the top name in hand tools forever. They're made in USA and are indestructible. My hubby still has a pair of Klein scissors that have cut more wire than I care to remember and are still working and amazingly still sharp!
          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

There are lots of USA based hand tool companies making products here. Some are very fussy that the steel mill that supplies them is here in the USA and only ore from the USA be used.

Something we may not think about is the very serious woodworker. He/she grows a tree, cuts it down, follows it to the sawmill and makes sure to get back the ruff lumber, dries that, machines it, and finally makes something nice out of the tree. Now there is a real "Made In The USA" product if there is one.

Comment

I have a problem, recently, I started having No Hub bands pop, I purchase all my stuff at Ferguson, I think they changed brands, which piss'es me off. Just as I get to 60 LBS, pop, it slips

I have asked around, and I am not the only one to have this happen.

I think they are imported junk. I purchased a new torque wrench, just in case.

I am thinking I need to remove the warranty clause from my invoices, material is just to unreliable now
              Last edited by westcoastplumber; 05-10-2008, 04:57 PM. Reason: kindergarden spelling issues
              sigpic

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by westcoastplumber View Post
                I have a problem, recently, I started having No Hub bands pop, I purchase all my stuff at Ferguson, I think they changed brands, which piss'es me off. Just as I get to 60 LBS, pop, it slips

I have asked around, and I am not the only one to have this happen.

I think they are imported junk. I purchased a new torque wrench, just in case.

I am thinking I need to remove the warranty clause from my invoices, material is just to unreliable now
                What have I been telling you?! Ferguson's sucks big time.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                  What have I been telling you?! Ferguson's sucks big time.
                  And how!!! They are pretty much a monopoly in my area anymore after driving the other supply houses out of business.

Comment

I am looking for a new drill. My old Ridgid was stolen recently. I would prefer something made in the USA. When looking at a new Ridgid Lithium Ion drill I noticed it said made in China. Is this true?
                    I would settle for anything not made in China because I would prefer not to support a communist country that has such abusive labor practices.

Comment

dirtydishes, I don't want to shake your tree but your stolen Ridgid drill was made in China.
                      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                        And how!!! They are pretty much a monopoly in my area anymore after driving the other supply houses out of business.

According to contractor news Fergusons is closing 75 stores due to slow sales.
                        sigpic

Comment

My cordless drill was made in Lichtenstein.

Comment

Maybe I am wrong here, but it seems like we are now having to pay "MADE IN USA" prices for Chinese made products.

The first I ran in to this was with OTC, and some automotive tools, yes good quality, but a very high price as well, but the product package said Made in CHINA.

And I have heard many of our "American brands" and now being manufactured in china or has major components made in china ,

as jsut stated,
                            BadgerDave
                            dirtydishes, I don't want to shake your tree but your stolen Ridgid drill was made in
                            China.
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            dirtydishes
                            I am looking for a new drill. My old Ridgid was stolen recently. I would prefer something made in the USA. When looking at a new Ridgid Lithium Ion drill I noticed it said made in China. Is this true?
                            I would settle for anything not made in China because I would prefer not to support a communist country that has such abusive labor practices.

I really do not think one can "BUY, MADE IN USA" any more can you?

and as many of the "import stuff" improves in quality. any more if I have some help, that I think that I may not "keep the tool or it will be lost, I usually buy harbor freight stuff, and much of it has been reasonably impressive. And the price of it, is reasonable. (no I do not buy there electric tools). but if it is all going to be made, and possibly in the same factory why not.

(no the Chinese pipe wrenches are not hardly worth there cheap price, unless you jsut want a monkey wrench, again there fine if you may lose them.) but thankfully RIDGID pipe wrenches are still USA made. and worth it, IMO.
                            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                            attributed to Samuel Johnson
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Who makes drills in Lichtenstein?
                              I was hoping to see a response with just one company who made drills in the US.
                              I ended up buying a Craftsman w/ a 1/2" chuck and NiCad batteries for about $50 at Orchard Supply. One year warranty. If they're all made in China then what does it matter? Buy the cheapest one that works well.

One Milwaukee electric screwdriver model is made in Japan, I believe under license from Matsushita (Panasonic).

Comment

Working...
                              X