X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill chuck...

Hi, I have a 14v cordless that I've had for about 2 years and as an artist and a handy ma'am, I use it practically everyday. The chuck is stuck. Just stopped functioning, not opening or closing...frozen. Do I have to replace or if I take it off can it be repaired by me. Do I have to replace with a Ridgid chuck or can I go generic?

Re: Drill chuck...

Hi there, and welcome to the forum,
    Don't replace the chuck just yet. Get yourself a spray can of Kroil (for Kreeping Oil), spray it inside the chuck -- liberally. Let it sit for an hour or so and then try moving it. Sounds like it's just stuck and needs some lub. My hammer drill with a really decent chuck does this all the time cause of the drilling dust that gets sucked inside.
    Good hardware store should have Kroil, if not, then you can order it online from Kano Labs. If you don't want to go that route, spray some WD-40, or some Liquid Wrench inside, PB Blaster should also work -- available at Menards or Home Despot. I prefer Kroil because it works the fastest and really penetrates. Once you get it loosened up, work the chuck, racking it all the way in and all the way out. Then spray some more of whatever you use inside and give it a really good shot. Then turn it upside down (prop up the drill on your workbench) and let the stuff drip or run out on a white paper towel. You'll be surprised at how much crud is down inside there. Then give it a shot of spray on a regular basis so you don't have to go thru this again. Let us know how it works out. Good Luck,
    Jim Don

Comment

Just a reminder that if you registered your drill in the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement Program an authorized RIDGID Service Center will fix or replace that chuck for free.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Good Point Badger Dave, !!!
        She should check into that first!
        Jim D.

Comment

To free a really stuck chuck besides the KROIL, PB Blaster or WD40, try grabbing the rear collar and the front with large pliers like Channellocks and try to budge it free but don't go wild. I like to use some KROIL or the like on my chucks. What is really great is if you can find a squirt can of GIBBS but that stuff is hard to find anymore.

While the chuck if really defective may need replacing, it is good to clean and lube them on a regular basis. In case it does need to be replaced, I personally like a good keyed chuck. The Jacobs Professional series or a nice German ROHM come to mind. They aren't cheap but make a nice investment that in many cases can later be installed on another drill.

Chuck replacement takes some tools and know-how. It's best left to a service tech. This may well be a warranty issue but it is a pain to have to take a tool to a service center. Sometimes some DIY simple fixes work out just fine if not even better.

HINT: You may wish to upgrade the chuck while you're at it depending on what the original one is like.
          I would try Jim's fix first and see if it doesn't work for you.

Fridocha: Welcome to the forum. How much of a mechanic type are you, and did you like the chuck that came with this drill or would you like to upgrade it? I'll post instructions (From Jacobs) on removal if you are up for it. What I don't want is for you to get hurt or damage the drill or end up buying new tools just for this problem.
          Last edited by Woussko; 05-14-2008, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X