Mold is Serious Stuff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mold is Serious Stuff

It has effected my working abilities. I haven't really been able to work, I have tried small jobs, but it just kills me at the end of the day.

Almost 4 months now, I've been really sick, I can't breath, coughing so bad, that my stomach and head hurts and I mean bad. Sinus so plugged up, this is bad.
    Listen up.......

"Mold"
    , it got into my lungs.......

Now I know, first hand, how fricking dangerous it can be. I've seen 4 Doctors, Cat scans twice, X-Rays twice, petri dishes growing **** from a loogie (sp?). Blood taken from me numerous times. I was told I have this and that, and last week was told I have pneumonia. This can be easily missed diagnosed, and it sucks getting it.

Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores can cause allergic reactions in people. Allergic reactions to mold are common — these reactions can be immediate or delayed up to six hours. Allergic reactions include:

* Respiratory problems, such as cough, sneezing, wheezing, infection, and/or difficulty in breathing
    * Hay fever-type symptoms
    * Nose and throat irritation
    * Nasal or sinus congestion

Watery, reddened, or burning eyes
    * Sensitivity to light
    * Red eyes
    * Runny nose
    * Sneezing

Dermatitis ( skin rash or irritation)

Headache

Fatigue

I'm telling you, this crap is nasty, I will never look at mold again and think big deal. That crap messed me up big time. This morning was another trip to the Emergency room, my 4th Doctor. He gathered up everything about me, from the other Doctors, then ran his own tests and found those dishes that had fungi or whatever growing in them. Apparently, the lab was a little slow on giving it out, until this morning.

So hopefully with all the new meds and shots I have been given, I'll be on the road to recovery. I have lost 3 jobs over this, because I couldn't work, my lungs are now at 1/2 breathing capacity. Don't take mold for granted, trust me on this one.

I really thought that I was just sick and wanted my body to correct my system. But I think almost 4 months of this, was a tad bit to long. But then again, the Doctors couldn't diagnose it right away.

I'm around mold, all the time, thats just part of my job. Now I have to totally change the way I work around it, I am going to do massive research on it, and become a pro about it. So if your ever sick and cannot shake it away, get yourself tested, and you Plumbers are around it too. Just becarefull around the stuff..... Mark
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Re: Mold is Serious Stuff

Wow, Garager! I'm sorry to hear you got such a bad shot of the mold. It's good of you to share the information, though. I know there's probably a lot of us that don't work with the proper gear around mold. The fact that it brought you such illness should be a warning for all of us to be more careful. You never know if that mold you're staring at is one of the bad ones or not, or if you're allergic to it. You may have been around mold and it never hurt you, which can make you think it not dangerous. Some day, though, there will come that one mold that can really get to you. Take Garager's lesson to heart. The stuff is not good; it can and will hurt you!
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Man Garager, I really feel for you. Nasty stuff for sure and I hope your Doctor's can get you on the right track for overcoming this soon.

Thanks for posting all the information as a caution for the rest of us, it's sure appreciated. But, I hope that you get on top of this real soon. Please take care of yourself the best you can and follow up on the meds and get whatever rest you can.

God bless,

CWS

Comment

holy cow man, that sucks. hope you get well soon.

steve
        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Garager, I feel for you buddy. Trust that you are on the right track getting proper medical attention and doing what you can at your end. Even though we think our homes are free of mold that's not the case. Get some good air filters and use them properly to reduce mold in your air, keep the humidity level low and do some research on the Internet. Everyone can benefit from this serious Thread. Over the years I worked around asbestos as a fleet mechanic and as a Lineman I was exposed to plenty of lead, asbestos and other toxic chemicals. Back then we all acted tough, if it didn't make you sick at the moment you used it then you were fine. What me wear a mask or gloves? Not me, I'm a tough guy. Garager, I'm not suggesting that's your attitude but it was mine and I was nothing but very lucky for a long time. If your doctors haven't suggested it yet start wearing one of those disposable masks when you go out in public, I know it may sound extreme but if you have a weakness now with your lungs and immune system fighting this thing there's no need to be exposed to more germs. I recently mentioned that my wife will be starting chemotherapy soon (next week), and I am prepared to do whatever it takes to keep our home a safe place for her. I'm not saying this to get off track but to point out that there are a lot of things we can do to make our homes more germ free. Liqud hand soaps, sanitized wipes, spray bottle with chlorox. I wouldn't suggest you handle the cleaning stuff, but a quick spray around the shower and sink are a good idea. Please keep us informed.

Comment

Dude! That sucks big time. You must be relieved now that there is a definite diagnosis and appropriate, focused treatment can begin. Thank you for sharing your story. I too will never again look at mold as just 'stuff' sitting there.

I wish you all the best.

Tom
            Last edited by Tom W; 05-16-2008, 04:12 PM.

Comment

About 12 years ago, I was doing some electrical work in a basement of an unoccupied home that was being re-habbed. Frickin' black mold was everywhere on the walls in that basement. Even on the underside of the floors above. Stayed away from the crud and really didn't disturb it, or so I thought. Bout 3 days later I came down with a horrible sinus infection. Worse one I ever had. Thought I was going to die, and wished I would. Never put the two together until I read Garager's post. I'd be willing to bet that sinus infection was caused by that mold that was all over that basement.

I feel for you friend. Hope you get better soon. Remember, your body only heals itself when you rest or sleep. So get plenty of rest brother to get rid of the illness.
              Jim Don

Comment

Mark,
                I am sorry you are sick.You never said anything.I had no idea.
                I hope you heal well and fast.
                There are a lot of people pumping out information and getting rich out here off Mold.
                Stay close,let us know how you're doing.What kind of antibiotics are they giving you.

ADAM

Comment

mark thanks for sharing this with us and you will pull through this get well
                  Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                  http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                  http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Franki, I was getting worried because I had serious lung problems going on. I too work around asbestos for a couple of years, doing pipe fitting and plumbing. We would be working in small mechanical rooms, replacing piping that were clogged. Of course everything up there is wrapped in the stuff. We would use our sawzalls to cut off the insulation, and the rooms would be so dusted up from this stuff, but I didn't know better back then.

My house is free from mold, I picked it up from a jobsite, which one, I don't know. But I've been on the phone this afternoon and calling Home Owners and letting them know. So its up to them to investigate their own home.

The only reason I even mentioned I was sick, is because of the mold. I knew it could hurt people, just didn't realize it would have been me. I've been sick for 3 1/2 months, hoping my body would fight this cold/flue. Thats what I really thought it was.

Franki, I'm sorry to hear about your wife, I've never been thru something like that, but I sure theres going to be some tough days, so I wish her a speedy recovery.

I'll pick up my meds tomorrow, Adam. They have to be shipped up here, very, very expensive meds. Good thing I have a decent Insurance policy. If the meds don't clear it up, then theres surgery to cut/scrape it out, and plus keep taking the meds.

Thanks for the kind wishes and words all of you, so I hope some of you might actually pat attention to mold, it can hurt you......

JD, you betcha I'm resting for another week, money isn't that damn important, but seeing my kids are.....
                    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      Mark,
                      I am sorry you are sick.You never said anything.I had no idea.
                      I hope you heal well and fast.
                      There are a lot of people pumping out information and getting rich out here off Mold.
                      Stay close,let us know how you're doing.What kind of antibiotics are they giving you.

ADAM
                      Whenever something new comes to the public's attention there will be people waiting to cash in on their fears. I know that in all the areas in the NorthEast and down South that flooded black mold was sure to follow. I think it's a good thing to know about this health hazard and to cleanup properly after a flood for instance. Is there some particular scam we should be aware of or were you just talking about the whole mold thing in general? I think the problem with asbestos was blown way out of proportion years ago. Unless it is friable I don't see the health risk. I worked in a Con Edison steam tunnel years ago and they had these three foot diameter pipes covered in asbestos with plenty of rips along the lengths leading more than a mile under a river. We complained and they brought in some EPA guys in space suits to "monitor" the situation with detection gear as we worked placing cable. Plenty of dust got kicked up but the detection gear never went in the red, maybe their batteries were dead or missing? I really do think it's a good idea to get rid of the wet sheet rock and mold .

Comment

Garager, glad to hear you seem to be on the uphill swing of all this.

It seems in L.A., the second there is a any water people call their insurance co. for a payout saying that there is mold and that they need walls ripped out floors re-done. . .. I think this is what Adam is referring to.

There are some serious issues if there was significant water damage that went undetected for extended periods of time. But not every person that has a leak has mold.

I am not sure if Garager is referring to the same type of mold issues though. It seems different

Joey
                        Last edited by MrsSeatDown; 05-16-2008, 09:24 PM.
                        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                          Garager, glad to hear you seem to be on the downhill swing of all this.

It seems in L.A., the second there is a any water people call their insurance co. for a payout saying that there is mold and that they need walls ripped out floors re-done. . .. I think this is what Adam is referring to.

There are some serious issues if there was significant water damage that went undetected for extended periods of time. But not every person that has a leak has mold.

I am not sure if Garager is referring to the same type of mold issues though. It seems different

Joey
                          Okay, I get it with folks jumping the gun or looking to take advantage of the situation. I'm sorry Garager is going through this tough time but I'm glad he put this Thread up for all to see. I think it's especially important for the younger folks to read this from a guy who has worked these trades for years and appreciate the fact that we are not invincible. Protect your health.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                            Okay, I get it with folks jumping the gun or looking to take advantage of the situation. I'm sorry Garager is going through this tough time but I'm glad he put this Thread up for all to see. I think it's especially important for the younger folks to read this from a guy who has worked these trades for years and appreciate the fact that we are not invincible. Protect your health.
                            What do you mean younger guys? My hubby thinks he is invincible and he is no spring chicken

Garager, I have to admit when you first started the thread I thought you were gonna go the route that you were having trouble because of the years of smoking. In a way it is better that it is the mold, because this will clear up.
                            I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

But if he still had that layer of black tar in his lungs the mold wouldn't have affected him

Just curious...how did they finally diagnose it? or are the doctors just speculating that it came from mold?

4 months, hard to believe your body couldn't shake it loose on it's own unless you were continuously being exposed to it

Comment

Working...
                              X