Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does the Confederate flag mean to you?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does the Confederate flag mean to you?

the fact that i live in the south east part of our country means there is alot of conversation that deal with this flag. i am just wondering what the people out side of the south feel about this flag.

i for one don't get bothered by it........... why?

because it is the flag of a defeated nation, thats why.
    now yes i do have the flag on my truck and my front yard has 4 flags the stars and strips the florida state a maryland state and the stars and bars(all on there own poles with the u.s. flag the highest the 2 state flags 3 feet lowwer and the confed flag 3 feet lowwer than the states)

now i belive i am the farthest thing from a racist, and i do belive i have proven that time and time again here. but that flag is part of our history and a sad part of out history at that when fathers fought sons and brothers aginst brothers for freedom and equlaity.

that war did far more than just set the slaves free it destoyed familys that still leaves the south with a resentment and an emptyness about it.

so i do not fly that flag wanting the past to come back, i fly that flag so we never forget, and never go down that road again.

so now you know how i feel about it, how do you feel about it?

well?
    9/11/01, never forget.

Re: What does the Confederate flag mean to you?

I feel it creates enough pain for others that regardless of my need to fly it I would not.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Dukes of Hazard
      The History of Sanitary Sewers Good site on the history of sanitary sewers and cleaners

www.thedrainsquad.net Our website

Comment

FEAR OF FAILING A CITIZENSHIP TEST

Comment

Civil War, North against the South....
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

To Me it means:

If I am from the North I better run

Comment

It represents the last stand of government backed arrogance, ignorance & inhumanity in this country.
              The idea that anyone believes they are superior over race, religion, sex or ethnicity is deadly.
              The need to feel superior at the expense of others, often incorporating the name of "god" in their beliefs.
              The very same concept is what brought down the world trade center, continues to fuel ethnic cleansing in parts of the world, kills Palestinians & Israeli's, Nazi attrocities...the list is endless.
              They say money is the root of all evil, I beg to differ...I say money is a close second.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                The idea that anyone believes they are superior over race, religion, sex or ethnicity is deadly.

this one line alone is the most turthfull and unbais line i have ever read anywhere concerning this subject, thanks duck!
                9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I second that...

Originally posted by Drain Medic View Post
                  Dukes of Hazard

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                    I second that...
                    Off Topic:

They should bring that show back

Comment

When I see someone with the flag, I just see a flag. It's a symbol of southern pride in my eyes. I think the actions of the person holding the flag hold more weight then what flags he waves. When my wife sees the confederate flag, she sees rascism and hate since she remembers the kkk holding the flag while marching through her town. If an orginzation pairs itself with a symbol, people put the two together no matter the intentions of either. What do think of when you see a swastika? Nazis, but it was a symbol for an african tribe. No matter how pure the origins of the swastika, hitler twisted it to represent his evil and this is what people will remember. Similarly, the confederate flag has become a symbol of hate.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I am by no means an expert on the true meaning of the stars and bars, but it is a part of American history. When I see it I dont associate it with racism, how can a flag symbolize racism? True some people who lived under that flag were racists, some were not. The flag itself did not symbolize racism. To me it symbolized how the north kicked the crap out of the south! JUST KIDDING.

I dont believe that this flag should be flown anymore because we all fall under the American flag. I also agree that other countries flag shouldnt be flown in this country unless ours is flown higher, as is the law. Being from NY we see alot of Latin American countries flags flown without our flag next to it, and to me that is worse then flying the stars and bars.
                        Last edited by Masterplumb; 05-21-2008, 04:45 PM.

Comment

(side note to josh)

man you are awesome i posted the same thread(cut and paste) on to 4 other forums that i belong to today, you are the only adminastrier of the 5 forums that did not remove the thread,........thank you ..... freadom of speech is alive and good here still.

the other fourms either claim i was stirring up trouble, being a rasit, or both

thank you for seeing that this topic is none of that, and keep up the great work!!!!
                          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I think that it has a place at things like Confederate war memorials, reenactments, and other historical contexts. Otherwise, it has pretty much been co-opted by those who are racist or who those who feel so offended by it that even though someone might just mean to symbolize "southern pride" or the like it probably shouldn't be used outside of those historical contexts.

Comment

Reading this Thread and the many well thought and expressed posts renews my faith in people to change for the better. A few years ago this might have been a very unpleasant Thread with all sorts of mean spirited words meant to cause more pain. We salute the flag of the United States of America with Liberty and Justice for All, and I salute the opportunity to discuss this topic so well.

Comment

Working...
                              X