X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any MMA fans?

I'm going to watch the Sherk vs Penn tonight. Anyone else like MMA?

Eli
    A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Re: Any MMA fans?

Well as a lifelong fan of Professional Wrestling(sport of kings), (the only sport so pure you can't bet on it), I have been following MMA. Very interesting sport, wonder if it is leading to more violence among the general public? I do find some of the matches kind of pointless, for example when hughes, st. pierre and penn fight eachother and take turns winning I think if they are so evenly matched and can win on any given day, do they really need to keep beating on eachother? I find the good sportsmanship uplifting. Do you remember the toughman matches? Seems as if our need for violence is always evolving and MMA fills the bill. What does the future hold? Finger jabs? They seem to be doing a good job of keeping it safe all things considered.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
      Well as a lifelong fan of Professional Wrestling(sport of kings), (the only sport so pure you can't bet on it), I have been following MMA. Very interesting sport, wonder if it is leading to more violence among the general public? I do find some of the matches kind of pointless, for example when hughes, st. pierre and penn fight eachother and take turns winning I think if they are so evenly matched and can win on any given day, do they really need to keep beating on eachother? I find the good sportsmanship uplifting. Do you remember the toughman matches? Seems as if our need for violence is always evolving and MMA fills the bill. What does the future hold? Finger jabs? They seem to be doing a good job of keeping it safe all things considered.
      I liked it better when it was less "action" driven and they would allow the ground game to develop more, but most fans found it too slow. It can be a very brutal sport for sure, sometimes too much for me, but they have very good refs who stop the bouts before anyone gets hurt too bad most of the time. I'm glad they seem to be erring on the side of safety in that regard.

There are actually fewer injuries than most other contact sports, but I think that is a skewed stat considering thew actual amount of time they spend competing.

I wonder about how it affects society too, not just because it is violent but because it has probably taught people just enough about fighting to make them more dangerous. These are the jerks who would have been getting in fights anyway probably, but now they may be able to do more damage to each other. Just a theory though, I have no evidence either way.

I used to like Pro Wrestling when I was younger too, back in the Ricky the Dragon Steamboat and Rowdy Roddy Piper days. After it turned in to "buried alive" matches and such I lost interest.

Anyway, Penn won tonight and has called out St. Pierre again--if it happens Penn could hold two belt at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by woodenstickers View Post

I used to like Pro Wrestling when I was younger too, back in the Ricky the Dragon Steamboat and Rowdy Roddy Piper days. After it turned in to "buried alive" matches and such I lost interest.
        I grew up with those guys too! Captain Lou, George the Animal Steel. . .oh the good ol days

My parents use to take my brothers and I down to the Olympic Pavillion to watch them live. Roller Derby Too! And boxing. . . until blood squirted on the person in front of us. Then my mom said
        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

I'm a big fan. Used to love pride before it became big. I've always thought of it as a physical chess match.

any thought on pulver vs faber? I think faber by tko in the 1st
          Last edited by gear junkie; 05-25-2008, 01:16 PM.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
            I grew up with those guys too! Captain Lou, George the Animal Steel. . .oh the good ol days

My parents use to take my brothers and I down to the Olympic Pavillion to watch them live. Roller Derby Too! And boxing. . . until blood squirted on the person in front of us. Then my mom said
            If you're interested I have a Captain Lou story? Twenty years ago I lived in Putnam County NY, small town of Lake Carmel home of Captain Lou Albano. He was a local celebrity and could be seen around town. He did quite a bit of banking, guess he had all sorts of cash and checks coming in and going out. Since he was at the bank so often he had a habit of just going right up to the tellers without waiting in line. One day when my Mom was in line at the bank Captain Lou came in and proceeded to approach the next available teller. My Mom said a young woman holding a small child started to berate him his acting better than the rest of them and being too high and mighty to stand in line. He did not become loud or rude and apologized and got in line. Mom said she saw him a few more times at the bank and he was in line! I think for all the rough and tumble stuff in the ring and all the celebrity treatment outside, he remained a well mannered and grounded guy. George The Animal was the ultimate showman in my opinion, green tongue and all.

Comment

I liked Pride better too. I'm excited to see these other promotions starting to make it big, like elite and WEC.

I have to admit I haven't got a chance to see Faber fight. I like Pulver but haven't seen him fight at featherweight yet either. I have always thought there should be a featherweight and even a super featherweight class, because with the way fighters are able to cut weight so well these days there is really no place for the little guys to fight. When you have guys who are 6' tall in the lightest weightclass it puts the shorter guys at a real disadvantage. So I look forward to seeing Faber vs Pulver.

Speaking of Pride, did you see the Wanderlei/Jardine fight? Wandy looked like he did in his Pride days. Brutal.

And I agree with you, at it's best it is such a technical game. The Griffin v Guida battle was just like a chess match.

My Ex-girlfriend got me into MMA. She was the sweetest person you'd want to meet, but she could literally knock out 200lb guys sparing. I honestly felt safer walking the streets with her because she was well versed. She cornered fighters in the earlier UFC.

I would have got into the sport myself, but I don't care for being punched.

Comment

If you're interested I have a Captain Lou story? Twenty years ago I lived in Putnam County NY, small town of Lake Carmel home of Captain Lou Albano. He was a local celebrity and could be seen around town. He did quite a bit of banking, guess he had all sorts of cash and checks coming in and going out. Since he was at the bank so often he had a habit of just going right up to the tellers without waiting in line. One day when my Mom was in line at the bank Captain Lou came in and proceeded to approach the next available teller. My Mom said a young woman holding a small child started to berate him his acting better than the rest of them and being too high and mighty to stand in line. He did not become loud or rude and apologized and got in line. Mom said she saw him a few more times at the bank and he was in line! I think for all the rough and tumble stuff in the ring and all the celebrity treatment outside, he remained a well mannered and grounded guy. George The Animal was the ultimate showman in my opinion, green tongue and all.

Thanks! I will have to share with my brothers

I think George got free now n' laters-what I swear is the source of the green tongue.

They were asll distinct characters-it was fun times
                I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

George The Animal was the ultimate showman in my opinion, green tongue and all.

A little info on George the Animal aka Jim Myers.

http://www.georgetheanimalsteele.com/home.php

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
                    A little info on George the Animal aka Jim Myers.

http://www.georgetheanimalsteele.com/home.php
                    Thanks for the great link, I'll pass it on to my wrestling buddies.

"Cover the face Ralph!".

Comment

My wife and I are fans. Someday we would like to see it live.
                      Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

I've been into MMA since the Royce Gracie days. I have UFC I through XII on tape. The first few were the best, because no one knew what style would win. Boxers were coming into the ring with full size gloves on and getting submitted in thirty seconds. You should have seen the 600 pound sumo guy get felled like a tree.

Stickers - do you buy the pay-per-view? I can't afford to pay the $50 or whatever it costs, and I can't find a local bar to watch the fights at besides Hooters.

Comment

Originally posted by Dairylander View Post
                          I've been into MMA since the Royce Gracie days. I have UFC I through XII on tape. The first few were the best, because no one knew what style would win. Boxers were coming into the ring with full size gloves on and getting submitted in thirty seconds. You should have seen the 600 pound sumo guy get felled like a tree.

Stickers - do you buy the pay-per-view? I can't afford to pay the $50 or whatever it costs, and I can't find a local bar to watch the fights at besides Hooters.
                          I have paid the last couple on my own, I try to get a few folks over to split it if I can. Sometimes you can find the fights posted on proelite.com the next day--not that I condone that sort of thing!

Eli

Comment

Originally posted by woodenstickers View Post
                            I have to admit I haven't got a chance to see Faber fight.
                            Speaking of Pride, did you see the Wanderlei/Jardine fight? Wandy looked like he did in his Pride days. Brutal.

And I agree with you, at it's best it is such a technical game. The Griffin v Guida battle was just like a chess match.
                            Faber's only problem is that he's never had a serious threat. He fight at 145 so the wec is the only place for him right now. He fights like Guida only hits a lot harder-always moving. Didn't get a chance to see the Silva fight. It would be very interesting to see against Rampage. Did you see silva knock rampage out in pride the second time? Sakuraba was a best technition. I loved how he dismantled the Gracie family. I think the ultimate fights would be Emilanko vs. couter(emilanko). Fedor cannot be beat-best heavyweight of all time.

What's the problem with seeing the fight at hooters?
                            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                              What's the problem with seeing the fight at hooters?
                              I have no problem with Hooters - their beer is as cold as anyone's. It's just that I live in Madison which has a metropolitan area population of 400,000 and Hooters is the only place that shows the fight. This means you have to go in 3 hours early to get a seat, and it's elbow to elbow crowded.

Comment

Working...
                              X