Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to cut 45˚ angle on chop saw?

Hello, I'm trying to make 45˚ angles in steel angle bar (2" x 2" x 1/8") on my chop saw, but it takes so long to cut through the width of it. Works great coming down through the depth, but I hit the flat portion that really needs the 45 angle, and I'll takes for ever. (At the risk of sounding stupid, think of it sitting like a letter "L". Cuts easy through the up and down leg of the L, but the bottom left right sucks.)Any suggestions or do I have to get a compound chop saw so I can either pivot 45 or rotate 45?

Re: Best way to cut 45˚ angle on chop saw?

an abrasive chop saw grinds through the metal. creates lots of heat and sparks.

a carbide tipped chop saw cuts fast, no sparks and no heat.

problem is the blade cost as much as your chop saw and the chop saw is a slower rpm saw than the abrasive chop saw.

a good machine will run $450-600 with blade.

ridgid makes one #614 dry saw.

so does makita and dewalt. dewalt is called a multi cutter.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I had to scribe and cut Uni-Stut free hand last week when I needed to remove 90 degrees so I could make a bunch of "L" brackets.
      Do not do this.

Can you use a Skillsaw and abrasive blade?
      Lot cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
        I had to scribe and cut Uni-Stut free hand last week when I needed to remove 90 degrees so I could make a bunch of "L" brackets.
        Do not do this.

Can you use a Skillsaw and abrasive blade?
        Lot cheaper.
        I have a Milwaukee 18V cordless circular saw which is made for cutting metal. It goes through Uni-strut like butter.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by csbeltram View Post
          Hello, I'm trying to make 45˚ angles in steel angle bar (2" x 2" x 1/8") on my chop saw, but it takes so long to cut through the width of it. Works great coming down through the depth, but I hit the flat portion that really needs the 45 angle, and I'll takes for ever. (At the risk of sounding stupid, think of it sitting like a letter "L". Cuts easy through the up and down leg of the L, but the bottom left right sucks.)Any suggestions or do I have to get a compound chop saw so I can either pivot 45 or rotate 45?
          I agree with Rick but depending on how much you have to cut it may not be worth it.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            I have a Milwaukee 18V cordless circular saw which is made for cutting metal. It goes through Uni-strut like butter.

Mark
            me too along with a makita cordless metal cutter.

both will easily cut 1.25'' steel pipe in the air.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Melissa's brother gave me a 7-1/4" ferrous cutting blade for my skillsaw.Says it's about $50.00.Even though he says it cuts better than anything he's ever seen I hate wasting it.May be time to unwrap it.

Comment

"bounce" the blade,it's the heat build up in the iron

Comment

Thanks everyone for the helpful tips. I'm a very ambitious hobbiest. I'm building a reception desk (essentially 6 sides) that will support a concrete top and be framed out so I can inset wood. So I have a lot of angles to cut.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    ...a carbide tipped chop saw cuts fast, no sparks and no heat.

problem is the blade cost as much as your chop saw and the chop saw is a slower rpm saw than the abrasive chop saw...
                    So could I use a carbide blade on my chop saw or is too fast? I assume using the blade on my normal miter saw would be an equally bad idea?

Comment

Originally posted by csbeltram View Post
                      So could I use a carbide blade on my chop saw or is too fast? I assume using the blade on my normal miter saw would be an equally bad idea?
                      the 14'' blade is spendy $175.

also the real saw is running at 1/2 the rpm as an abrasive chop saw.

you can try, but it will either lose a tooth or burn up. can you get it cut at a shop and finish it yourself? they typically shear/ notch angle iron.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Band saw, with the metal cutting blade.....
                        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Working...
                        X