X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skunk problem

I think we have a skunk problem. Last night four of our tomato plants were dug up. The plants were all left on the ground, root ball intact and no foliage was eaten. One Google hit suggested grubs come to the top of the ground after heavy watering - these plants were watered rather heavily - and skunks like to eat grubs. We have an abundance of skunks. They wander all over especially at dusk, some have come within 6" of my wife and I as we stood at our fence. Until now I was inclined to live with them in peaceful coexistence. But since they have attacked my garden I ain't so sure. Does anyone have a proven skunk deterrent not firearm related?

Tom

Re: Skunk problem

A buddy of mine used a harmless cage for racoons, got some real big ones and let them go a few miles away. Problem with skunks is transporting them without getting sprayed. You are right about them looking for grubs, too late to put down grubx. Curious to hear of any success stories. Good luck.

Comment

You can keep rabbits away from a garden by laying chicken wire flat on the ground. They don't like how it feels on their feet. Maybe the same is true for skunks?
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

There are a couple of companies that make a motion detecting sprinkler. You'll have to do some searching. The one's I saw were in a garden catalog. Maybe on the net though. Don't know the sensitivity or anything but I read somewhere it's effective for keeping different things out of the garden. Gives them a short blast of water then shuts off. Conditions them to not like the area.

You might even be able to rig up your own if you're that handy. Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

Just spread some moth balls around they hate them.

If you decide to "Have A Heart Trap" them, once you catch them cover the cage with a blanket. Then they will not spray. If you do this then film it for youtube. I have been told by many a ol'timer this works but, I'll be damned if i'd try it.
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Google wolf urine, it is sold by many places online, spray the perimeter of your garden with it on a regular basis and it will keep most pests from mice to deer away.

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
              Just spread some moth balls around they hate them.

If you decide to "Have A Heart Trap" them, once you catch them cover the cage with a blanket. Then they will not spray. If you do this then film it for youtube. I have been told by many a ol'timer this works but, I'll be damned if i'd try it.
              Yep, thats how we handle things, mothballs...
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

be glad it's not moles

still looking for plumber

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Many thanks for all the suggestions. I think I wil start with the easiest things first - mothballs - and progress to more drastic measures if needed. I would love to try to trap one but first I would like a demonstration by someone trained.

We had problem with moles a few years ago. I don't know what happened but they spontaneously disappeared as mysteriously as they appeared. They were a big nusiance while they were here. Somehow one even got into the basement. Probably through the cat door.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                  X