• Show
Clear All

Re: Chevy Ressurecting the Volt

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
    I found this with additional info on converting gallons to KWhs :

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums...31&postcount=6

and from this howstuffworks article:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question424.htm
    Now we need to figure out how much electrical energy we can get out of a gallon of gas. A gallon of gas contains about 60 kilowatt-hours of chemical energy, but this energy has to go through two conversion processes before we can use it in a light bulb[or to power some electric device]. First the chemical energy must be turned into mechanical power by the engine of the car. Car engines don't do this very efficiently -- only about 25% of the chemical energy can be turned into mechanical power, and the rest is wasted as heat. After the engine gets done with our gallon of gas we have 15 kilowatt-hours left.
    WOW!
    I skiimmed over thermal loss assuming it was relatively the same for electric...oops.
    You got me scurrying around the internet to look up thermal loss on electric and my assumption was way off.
    Electric motors have an efficiency that ranges from 30% to 90%, depending on the load.
    From what I could gather an engine this size runs on the medium to higher end of efficiency - meaning it runs at least 50%+ efficient.

Making the electric equivalent to a gallon of gas anyhwhere from $1.40 to $3.00.
    I'd wager there are other factors that come into play with that price as well.
    What his post does say is the amount of battery weight it takes just to attain a small amount of storage comparitive to gas is huge.
    If I read correct, 2800 lbs of lead cells to equal 2.8 gallons of gas, or 1,000 lbs of Li batteries.

2.8 gallons would get me to the next gas station.

What I missed on this thread, or maybe it wasn't mentioned, is that aside from the Volts 30+ mile max capacity, it also has a built in gas generator that extends the vehicles range to 640 miles without a charge.

Ok then, it's got my attention.
    What I'd really like to know is what amount of gas it takes to achieve that 640 mile range...also...how fast this thing accelerates.
    Last edited by DuckButter; 06-07-2008, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
      how fast this thing accelerates.

i bet not as fast as this one!!!
      http://www.teslamotors.com/
      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
        i bet not as fast as this one!!!
        http://www.teslamotors.com/
        HOLY COW!!!

"Tesla Roadster from 0 to 60 mph in under 4 seconds. Meanwhile, the battery stores enough energy for the vehicle to travel about 220 miles without recharging, something no other production electric vehicle in history can claim."

HOLIER COW!

"Roadster base price: $109,000"

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
          HOLY COW!!!
          HOLIER COW!

"Roadster base price: $109,000"
          a tad pricy maybe, but just last year alone i went though $19,971.23 in gas just in my personal pickup. so for me after 5 years of buying fuel at the same rate (and the price has already gone up 40 cents a gallon since i did my taxes) that would come to $99,856.15 so the car would only cost me 10 grand.

no i am not going to run out and get one of these any time soon, but in 5 years where will this technology be? and at what price? this could very well be made in to a very viable car with other body styles based off the same platform. i would take a 4 seater with half the performce and 1/3 less range in the $35 k range, they would almost put the big 3 out of bissness with a car like that, almost
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
            a tad pricy maybe, but just last year alone i went though $19,971.23 in gas just in my personal pickup. so for me after 5 years of buying fuel at the same rate (and the price has already gone up 40 cents a gallon since i did my taxes) that would come to $99,856.15 so the car would only cost me 10 grand.

no i am not going to run out and get one of these any time soon, but in 5 years where will this technology be? and at what price? this could very well be made in to a very viable car with other body styles based off the same platform. i would take a 4 seater with half the performce and 1/3 less range in the $35 k range, they would almost put the big 3 out of bissness with a car like that, almost
            That's EXACTLY what I just said to my wife...IF this isn't some kinda hype, I can only imagine it goes mainstream within 5 years for passenger cars, SUV's and trucks

Comment

At $109,000 thats actually cheap. When the tesla project started it was estimated to cost $200,000+. The lithium ion batteries accounted for about 75% of that cost. Looks like as the battery prices keep dropping vehicles like it will become more practical. It's likely that being a sports car gives it a significant aerodynamic and weight advantage which should account for some of it's rather impressive range.

Comment

http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/make/...3?makeId=tesla

heyyyyyyyy i found it for 89,000
                9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Working...
                X