X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chevy Ressurecting the Volt

Buried in here (and I also heard this on the Radio this morning), aside from closing plants Chevy is going to start building a plug-in car. It will last ~40 miles on a charge and then switch over to a gasoline engine.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...JLM&refer=home

Don't know if this makes sense at the $0.17/KWh that we pay around here, but probably does make sense someplace. The 40 miles actually would work out perfectly for me, as I have a 35 mile round trip commute; and they are including a regular gasoline engine so wouldn't have to worry about stopping off at other places if the need arose.

Re: Chevy Ressurecting the Volt

Good news there. For what it's worth there are some all electric mini cars over in Japan being mass produced. They are a bit too tiny to market here other than for off road use. One that holds 2 adults and about 4 grocery bags is said to run 50 miles on flat road at around 30 MPH. It's slow starting but is said to run along nice. I guess time will tell. Please do read up on hybrid buses by GMC, Orion and others. Times are changing.

Comment

Given the fact that the cost to run electric water heaters is so much higher then gas, I think you have a very good point.
      If memory serves, as much as 10% of the energy used to make electricity is lost in transmission.
      Another interesting comparison, gasoline has about 114,000 btu's per gallon at about $4 a gallon.
      Assuming BTU's are a somewhat accurate way to compare energy:
      1 kw = 3412 btu
      1 therm = 29.3 kw
      At .17 /kw that means the 114K btu equivalence to a gallon of gas would cost $5.68.
      The trick being how efficient the vehicle is, but hybrid definitely sounds better than that.
      Not a a rocket scientist here, so anyone feel free correct those figures.

Comment

heck, just slap a couple of solar panels on that puppy and be ready for a ROAD TRIP!!!

steve
        In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
          Good news there. For what it's worth there are some all electric mini cars over in Japan being mass produced. They are a bit too tiny to market here other than for off road use. One that holds 2 adults and about 4 grocery bags is said to run 50 miles on flat road at around 30 MPH. It's slow starting but is said to run along nice. I guess time will tell. Please do read up on hybrid buses by GMC, Orion and others. Times are changing.
          I hate to admit it but a few weeks ago I read an insert in the NY Times (every few weeks what I guess is my neighbors copy makes it onto my lawn, if it isn't picked up within a couple of days I throw it out) about hybrids. Chevy is building a hybrid Yukon using the same technology as the buses (different from Prius technology) that gets 20 city/20 highway.

The cooler ones though were hybrid bucket trucks that don't need to idle while moving the bucket, and hybrid garbage trucks. The garbage truck will hydraulically store the energy from stopping and then use it to assist in starting up again.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
            Given the fact that the cost to run electric water heaters is so much higher then gas, I think you have a very good point.
            If memory serves, as much as 10% of the energy used to make electricity is lost in transmission.
            Another interesting comparison, gasoline has about 114,000 btu's per gallon at about $4 a gallon.
            1 kw = 3412 btu
            1 therm = 29.3 kw
            At .17 /kw that means the 114K btu equivalence to a gallon of gas would cost $5.68.
            The trick being how efficient the vehicle is, but hybrid definitely sounds better than that.
            I think you've got pretty good figures there. I think there are a lot of people who pay less for power than I do (like in Niagara Mohawk country), for them it may make more economic sense.

Comment

I already crunched numbers and did some research on hybrids.
              At 30 MPG it's almost worhwhile with the extra $6-10K sticker price.
              Fords hybrid claims the batteries last ten years, I doubt it, I'll beleive them when they warranty it for ten years.
              The batteries are in the thousands to replace.
              Add to that, the fact that you have extra mechanical parts to wear.
              It's new technology so repairs are more expensive and for now it sounds like a crapshoot.

I will say that this is why guys like PlumbingSkool go off on a tangent over corporate manipulation of the word "green" of the market where people are panicking over gas prices.
              Not all "green" industries are a scam, but I'll wait for the useful products to make it to the auto market.
              Last edited by DuckButter; 06-03-2008, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                Buried in here (and I also heard this on the Radio this morning), aside from closing plants Chevy is going to start building a plug-in car. It will last ~40 miles on a charge and then switch over to a gasoline engine.
                http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...JLM&refer=home

Don't know if this makes sense at the $0.17/KWh that we pay around here, but probably does make sense someplace. The 40 miles actually would work out perfectly for me, as I have a 35 mile round trip commute; and they are including a regular gasoline engine so wouldn't have to worry about stopping off at other places if the need arose.
                I think the project has already been running for a while, it's not ressurected. More like given higher priority now. I remember reading a while back A123 Systems was developing the batteries for it. Is it going to be a hybrid now? I was under the impression it was intended as a fully electric plug-in car with no gas engine?

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                  1 kw = 3412 btu
                  1 therm = 29.3 kw
                  Thats an interesting point. I think that being all electric it should still be more efficient. One advantage of electric is the motor only needs to run when it's needed so that energy isn't being wasted. Since a gas engine needs to run continuosly a lot of that energy is wasted sitting in traffic, idling and so on. Hybrids tend to get better mileage in city driving which would seem to confirm that.

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                    I think the project has already been running for a while, it's not ressurected. More like given higher priority now. I remember reading a while back A123 Systems was developing the batteries for it. Is it going to be a hybrid now? I was under the impression it was intended as a fully electric plug-in car with no gas engine?
                    I think the EV1 was like that, but that really killed the market for it. This is not like a Prius in that it won't run the engine until the battery is already dying, whereas the Prius always runs the engine. If it had only the battery, you could get stuck if it wasn't quite charged etc. and wouldn't be an alternative if you could only have one car.

I also wonder if the electric motors would give better performance than a gas or diesel engine in some cases. The big train locomotives burn the diesel to make electricity to turn motors, so it can't be all bad.

Comment

Latest I heard is guys scouring the bone yards for Geo Metro's. Paying 3 to four times blue book for them, putting a couple g's in repairs into them and either re-selling or keeping them. Mileage ws around 50mpg if I recall.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                        Latest I heard is guys scouring the bone yards for Geo Metro's. Paying 3 to four times blue book for them, putting a couple g's in repairs into them and either re-selling or keeping them. Mileage ws around 50mpg if I recall.
                        Had one, thing had balls too.
                        Edit, I had the Storm - multi valve engine

Comment

Back in highschool a friend of mine had a Suzuki Swift which is the same as the Geo Metro. I remember the tank filled up with like $7 and that thing drove as around all week. It easily got well over 40mpg. Great thing was it was such a simple car you could almost fix it on the spot McGyver style with little more that some string and chewing gum Currently the car has been sitting unused for about 10 years and he's thinking of fixing it up and leaving his Dodge Ram at home.
                          Last edited by Velosapien; 06-03-2008, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                            I think the EV1 was like that, but that really killed the market for it. This is not like a Prius in that it won't run the engine until the battery is already dying, whereas the Prius always runs the engine. If it had only the battery, you could get stuck if it wasn't quite charged etc. and wouldn't be an alternative if you could only have one car.

I also wonder if the electric motors would give better performance than a gas or diesel engine in some cases. The big train locomotives burn the diesel to make electricity to turn motors, so it can't be all bad.
                            A few months ago I watched the movie "Who Killed The Electric Car", and the message was that GM recalled all the EV1's because they worked too well! GM never sold but only leased them and everyone in the movie who owned one raved about them. They only had a 50 mile range, but given today's lithium technology some claim the range would easily be extended to 300 miles. I too have a problem with paying several thousand dollars to replace the batteries and then there is the problem of disposing of them. Still I feel something has to happen real fast to relieve the enormous financial burden put upon us by big oil. One upside to owning a plugin car would be the option of recharging with solar energy. If solar energy becomes more popular, costs should lower and the same system used to power a house could charge your plugin car. Maybe wind turbines could be used to charge these cars?We need to think outside the "gas car" box or else they will continue to have a hold over us.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                              I too have a problem with paying several thousand dollars to replace the batteries and then there is the problem of disposing of them.
                              I was thinking about this as well but I think with proper regulation this should not be an issue. As it is over 90% of conventional lead acid batteries on cars are recycled and properly disposed of. I see no reason why the same could not be done with lithium ion or NiMH batteries. On top of that lithium ion is non-toxic and much cleaner to dispose of compared to lead acid which are chemically the nastiest batteries.

Comment

Working...
                              X