X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazing little car does 66 MPG highway

Considering high fuel costs and they keep getting worse, maybe we just need to go back in time and grab some of these??? How about if everyone worked together and got them back into production? I really like the tiny pickup where the side opens and becomes a step. Think of how handy that little PU could be.

Just let this run. The info is pretty worthless. Sorry for bad audio but it's the only one I can find of this add. It's good enough for you to get the idea.

Sorry about the pickup stuff. That's on the long version of this add. That one has dreadful sound and some sick background noises. This one is only about the little car. Today it would need some safety revisions but the general idea should be workable. Note the dangerous doors that open the wrong way!!! Open it going along and it's time for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLPp-...eature=related
    Last edited by Woussko; 06-03-2008, 06:20 PM.

Re: Amazing little car does 66 MPG highway

I must admit that I don't remember that Ad, maybe it was only on the west coast. Looks like the 70's by the cloths and stuff. The first little Honda back in the early 70's was a very small car too.

But I agree about "going back". I've am amazed at the pitiful mileage that some of the current Ads are boosting. Can't remember the car, but just yesterday I saw some little compact boasting 33 mpg. Heck, my 65' VW used to give 32 when it was new and when I was out on the highway with a long trip, it gave me 36 mpg. But what terribly unconfortable seats it had! At 28 cents a gallon and a 10.5 gallon tank, I could drive just about anywhere for $3. Now, it almost costs me that just to mow my lawn!

My 1984 Toyota Tercel Wagon used to get me 46 mpg out on the highway. Lots of plastic, but that little car lasted me 14 years and the only problem I ever had with it was that the electric fan froze up. Guess it was from lack of use, as the cooling system was so efficient it never came on unless you less you were stuck in traffic for 10 or 15 minutes.

But looking back even further, my 1956 Mercury Monteray, with it's 292 cu.in. V8, 4-barrel carb would give me 22 mpg on. Oil however was a problem though when I bought if from Dad in 1962 with over 70,000 miles on it. I used to have to add a quart at every fill up. But then oil was only 15 cents a quart and gas was something like 28 cents a gallon.

I guess when you really think about it, the mileage improvements to the gasoline engine over the last 40 years have been a bit offset by the increase in body size and, of course, pollution controls.

CWS

Comment

There are currently more comfortable diesel cars that actually get better mileage than that like the VW Polo. Maybe someday these will make it to the US market.

Comment

America gas mileage problem is that we want fuel economy and horsepower. The 2 contridict each other to a certain degree. We have a 98 camry with a 4 cylinder and we get 35 mpg highway and 33 city. We used to have a 96 camry 4 cylinder and we got about the same. This is good gas mileage but it didn't take some high tech battery or billions in fuel research. It was a delibrate desicion that was made; acceleration speed or fuel, what's important? My cars are/were 10 and 12 years old and are slow coming off a stop but cruise with ease at 85.

Once car manufactors make this a priority again and forget about horsepower, fuel economy will rise.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          America gas mileage problem is that we want fuel economy and horsepower. The 2 contridict each other to a certain degree. We have a 98 camry with a 4 cylinder and we get 35 mpg highway and 33 city. We used to have a 96 camry 4 cylinder and we got about the same. This is good gas mileage but it didn't take some high tech battery or billions in fuel research. It was a delibrate desicion that was made; acceleration speed or fuel, what's important? My cars are/were 10 and 12 years old and are slow coming off a stop but cruise with ease at 85.

Once car manufactors make this a priority again and forget about horsepower, fuel economy will rise.

I think size/weight is really the problem. People have become used to liking really big roomy cars. If the market can go back to more compact cars you can still keep a reasonable power to weight ratio and not have to sacrifice too much in acceleration. I drove a Mini Cooper recently and it really drove the point home to me. It's got a tiny 1.6l engine and the thing accelerated like a rocket while still doing 35 to 40+ mpg.

Comment

I disagree, both of my camry's were 4 door sedans. Twice as much room as a mini cooper. They just accelerate slow.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Oh I'm not disagreeing with you. You can still get great mileage with a larger car. My point is that if you are willing to forgo the extra space you can still keep the good acceleration without needing the high horsepower part of the equation.

Comment

Working...
              X