truckers move the U.S.A.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: truckers move the U.S.A.

I agree Kevin that something needs to be done -- maybe limiting cars is one thing that should happen. We had gasoline rationing during WWII -- and nobody complained. Maybe we need to go to gas rationing in order to cut fuel use and SUPPORT OUR TROOPS WHO ARE AT WAR. Or does no one really believe this mantra anymore. We should also cut ALL speedlimits on all highways nationwide to 50 mph tops. We went to a nationwide 55 in 1972 and that worked. Not a word from our White House on conserving fuel, driving slower, limiting gas, gas rationing, turning off lights, saving energy, etc. etc. etc. Even President Richard Nixon in 1972 enacted many many ways to conserve fuel during the first energy crunch this great country of ours went through. Yet, all I hear now is the sound of crickets. Hmmmm! If we were the true patriots we claim to be, everyone, from the President on down would be doing our best to conserve fuel. After all, our country is on the verge of economic meltdown and we need to take drastic measures to keep it afloat and preserve our patriotic freedom. Does NO ONE care?

Interesting, very interesting,

Jim Don
    Last edited by JimDon; 06-11-2008, 06:57 PM. Reason: to edit out offensive to one member the middle name of Nixon

Comment

Originally posted by JimDon View Post
      I agree Kevin that something needs to be done -- maybe limiting cars is one thing that should happen. We had gasoline rationing during WWII -- and nobody complained. Maybe we need to go to gas rationing in order to cut fuel use and SUPPORT OUR TROOPS WHO ARE AT WAR. Or does no one really believe this mantra anymore. We should also cut ALL speedlimits on all highways nationwide to 50 mph tops. We went to a nationwide 55 in 1972 and that worked. Not a word from our White House on conserving fuel, driving slower, limiting gas, gas rationing, turning off lights, saving energy, etc. etc. etc. Even Richard Milhouse Nixon in 1972 enacted many many ways to conserve fuel during the first energy crunch this great country of ours went through. Yet, all I hear now is the sound of crickets. Hmmmm! If we were the true patriots we claim to be, everyone, from the President on down would be doing our best to conserve fuel. After all, our country is on the verge of economic meltdown and we need to take drastic measures to keep it afloat and preserve our patriotic freedom. Does NO ONE care?

Interesting, very interesting,

Jim Don
      Another great post with some good suggestions and observations. I remember all those gas and energy saving ideas, makes no sense that they are not coming back into use. I don't want to insult conservatives or liberals but wheter it's the arab or american oil companies raising prices, they have to be nuts to think we can afford five dollar heating fuel. I know someone will say if you don't like it don't buy it, and I swear if you were in front of me there would be trouble! I spent most of the day using my chainsaws to cut up a downed tree in my neighbors yard. A city worker was marking damaged trees for removal and I asked what they did with the wood? He told me where dropped it off but warned peopel were getting desperate for wood. I stil say we have not felt or seen the true impact of these high prices.

Comment

The problem where I live is too many people. Speeds on the highways here are typically under 15mph, streets are often gridlocked, that's a big waste of fuel. But the idiot politicians keep changing the zoning laws to allow more and more people to live in more crowded areas. People commute here from 100 miles away too, they want the cheap homes but take jobs that take 3 hours to get to. Change these 2 things and fuel use is not a big concern here.
        www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

i don't miss the 55mph speed limits but if we went back to them i would welcome it if if truly lowwered fuel prices, but i to have wondered why the white house has been so darn quite here latly about energey.
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

They're quiet because it's an election year.
            55mph where I live is a dream, cant happen with the traffic here. But tell all those folks in Montana that they'll have to drive 400 miles at 55mph and you might cause a riot.
            www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

http://www.ronpaul2008.com/articles/...gh-gas-prices/
              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Rafael View Post
                They're quiet because it's an election year.
                55mph where I live is a dream, cant happen with the traffic here. But tell all those folks in Montana that they'll have to drive 400 miles at 55mph and you might cause a riot.

i agree about this being an election year, but those folks in montana used to drive 55 and if they had to do it again i bet they would, not happily but they would still do it
                9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

People have moved further away from their jobs in order to buy more affordable homes. It's too bad more was not done to prepare us for these difficult times and skyrocketing prices, but what's done is done. So what happens next? Peope can't just up and move close to their jobs, they can't go without heat in their homes or food in their stomachs. Do we just sit by quietly and wait for the prices to keep rising? Most of us will do just that, sit quietly, respect the law and our fellow man, however those who are desperate will do desperate things. You can defend the oil companies and their right to profit all you want but when folks can't afford to get to work, heat their homes and eat there is going to be trouble. I sure hope no one expects a new President to resolve any of these issues.

Comment

Many of those who live 3 hours from work do so because they want cheap homes and high paying jobs, some, if not many could get lower paying work near their homes.
                    I personally know someone who travels 100 miles and 3-4 hours to work, sometimes it takes him 5 hours to get home. He works in a high income area and lives in a low cost of living area. He could work where he lives and live well, but he wants more money than that. He can also afford to live in the neighborhood where he works. These people are a problem. It's one thing to have no choices, but many of these folks have choices and the rest of us are paying for their choices.
                    www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rafael View Post
                      Many of those who live 3 hours from work do so because they want cheap homes and high paying jobs, some, if not many could get lower paying work near their homes.
                      I personally know someone who travels 100 miles and 3-4 hours to work, sometimes it takes him 5 hours to get home. He works in a high income area and lives in a low cost of living area. He could work where he lives and live well, but he wants more money than that. He can also afford to live in the neighborhood where he works. These people are a problem. It's one thing to have no choices, but many of these folks have choices and the rest of us are paying for their choices.
                      I don't know where or how to get the statistics so I can only go by personal experience. The folks I know work at jobs where they cannot transfer. They did not move far from their jobs to get cheaper homes but to get any home they could afford. The folks I know were barely getting by when gas was $1.50 a gallon and home heating fuel was $.89 a gallon. Now those same folks who have not gotten a raise have to pay three to five times more for gas, heating fuel and food. I myself like many Americans am retired, no prospect for a better paying job or moving closer to anything. Most people working or retired are on fixed income, have been on a fixed income and cannot budget for these outrageous price increases necessary to sustain their lives and demanded by oil companies foreign or american.

Comment

Even Richard Milhouse Nixon in 1972 enacted many many ways to conserve fuel during the first energy crunch this great country of ours went through.
                        Jim Don
                        Why use his middle name?? The left doesn't want us to use Obama's middle name?

Richard Milhouse Nixon
                        John Fitzgerald Kennedy
                        Ronald Wilson Reagan
                        Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Barrack Hussein Obama

Comment

To Masterplumb:
                          Offensive to you middle name has now been edited out and will not be mentioned again. Thank you for your concern.
                          Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
                            Why use his middle name?? The left doesn't want us to use Obama's middle name?

Richard Milhouse Nixon
                            John Fitzgerald Kennedy
                            Ronald Wilson Reagan
                            Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Barrack Hussein Obama
                            As a person who thinks conservative and liberals are both wrong about everything, I don't care about obam's middle name or those of the dead presidents! I do care and am concerned with how many Americans will afford to drive their cars, heat their homes and feed their families NOW! Clearly neither Obama nor McCain will help this crisis. Truckers can't afford five dollar plus diesel fuel and many Americans can't afford everything else that took off as a result of foreign and American oil prices. We need price rollbacks and a chance to establish alternatives.

Comment

To Masterplumb:
                              Offensive to you middle name has now been edited out and will not be mentioned again. Thank you for your concern.
                              Jim
                              It's not offensive to me, I actually think that we should use their middle name.

Comment

The ONLY way to make a difference is to write your CONGRESSMAN and SENATOR and tell them it's time to put down the oil companies for excess profits. Profiteering during a time of war is and should be punishable by substantial fines. The only way to make a difference is to write your representatives and SAY IT! Make your voice heard! I wrote to Congressman Wolf today. The rest are next. And I'll KEEP writing until something gets done. The President is a tool of the oil companies. And the pharmaceutical companies. And others. So's your congressman and senator. That doesn't mean we can't speak up. It's our DUTY! Everyone here is always saying how proud they are to be an American. DO YOUR DUTY! Regardless of who is President, it is your Representative in the House and the Senate that will make the difference. Write them. Often.
                                I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Working...
                                X