Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: truckers move the U.S.A.

Frankie,
    I dont know where you live. But I am in So California and am going on my personal experience and also some news articles I've read in the local papers over the years.
    Some people have the 3-4 hour commutes out of their perceived necessity, others do it because they want to make city money and live in a semi-rural low cost area.
    www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

"Since the award of the bid a few months ago, and last week, unanticipated projected fuel costs have risen $1.2 million dollars. Not risen to $1.2 million risen by $1.2 million. Unfortunately for the company there is no clause for increased fuel costs to be added to the contract. "

Unfortunately for the company they have bidders who are not looking far enough ahead to include contingencies for costs increases such as this. How could anyone bid a long term project or one that is not scheduled to start until months later and not allow at least a best guess at what might happen with fuel prices (or copper for example) or include a clause in the contract that would cover the increase?

More on topic. Sad as it is for the trucking industry and all the independents everyone else is hurting too. For me there is no chance of taking mass transit as it doesn't go anywhere near where I need it to, at any time of the day. Last raise I got almost a year ago (and more) has been eaten up bu increased fuel prices. Between gasoline and fuel oil I'm spending almost double what I did 18 months ago. I only drive 350-400 miles a week and I shell out between $80 -90 per fill-up. My P/U is getting ~16.6/17.7 MPG and its been there all along for 55K miles ('05 F-150). I log my miles and fuel purchases every time. 18 months ago a fill-up ran about $45-50. Last time I got the oil tank topped of it was $585.00, these prices are taken their toll on me but we're getting by. I know there are plenty of people who are driving more miles/wk in vehicles that get worse mileage and their pay is less than mine, they are hurting for sure. And it's all a bunch of cr*p because we as a country should have been moving toward energy independence since the 70's. But as usual we let the lobbyist for oil and the auto manufacturers and the crooked politicians pull another fast one on us.
      Last edited by Bob D.; 06-11-2008, 10:13 PM.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
        The ONLY way to make a difference is to write your CONGRESSMAN and SENATOR and tell them it's time to put down the oil companies for excess profits. Profiteering during a time of war is and should be punishable by substantial fines. The only way to make a difference is to write your representatives and SAY IT! Make your voice heard! I wrote to Congressman Wolf today. The rest are next. And I'll KEEP writing until something gets done. The President is a tool of the oil companies. And the pharmaceutical companies. And others. So's your congressman and senator. That doesn't mean we can't speak up. It's our DUTY! Everyone here is always saying how proud they are to be an American. DO YOUR DUTY! Regardless of who is President, it is your Representative in the House and the Senate that will make the difference. Write them. Often.
        Excess profits??? 9% is excessive? The government takes more then the oil companies profits. You are mistaken a modest profit percentage for volume.
        Where is your proof of the accusations you make about Bush being a "tool of oil and pharmaceutical? I want to see hard proof? I bet you cant give it to me can you? You know why you cant, because there isn't any. If there was he would be impeached.

Comment

Originally posted by Rafael View Post
          Frankie,
          I don't know where you live. But I am in So California and am going on my personal experience and also some news articles I've read in the local papers over the years.
          Some people have the 3-4 hour commutes out of their perceived necessity, others do it because they want to make city money and live in a semi-rural low cost area.
          These are good points. We (the US in general) have (in the past) promoted development of rural America, clearing forests to build houses, shopping malls, new schools, etc. Just so John Doe with his wife and 2.2 kids could have their own chunk of ground. It all started after WWII. Urban sprawl has pushed peoples homes further away from where they work. The corner grocery store is gone, so now you have to drive to get a gallon of milk. For me the nearest super market or convenience store is a half gallon of gas away. So (this week) a round trip to get that Gal of milk costs $4.00 in gas.

Meanwhile our cities are dying from the inside out. There is no work there because all the corporations moved out to the burbs where the taxes were cheaper and the air was cleaner. Then later on they moved offshore and left it all (the taxes, the EPA, OSHA, etc.) behind. Hence the cities offer nothing to draw in people earning a decent wage, and the decay continues.
          Last edited by Bob D.; 06-11-2008, 10:29 PM.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I am actually a big Ron Paul fan (and voted for him in the NY primary). He is unique among congresscritters in that he actually says what he believes without equivocation.

Comment

[quote=Masterplumb;149962]Excess profits??? 9% is excessive? The government takes more then the oil companies profits. You are mistaken a modest profit percentage for volume. [quote]

how do you get "record profits" at 9%, you dont, you can't.
              http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11098458/

buy the way i postd this one just because i like the look on the guys face at $2.75, i would love to see it now.
              Last edited by oldslowchevy; 06-11-2008, 10:33 PM.
              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Many of those who live 3 hours from work do so because they want cheap homes and high paying jobs, some, if not many could get lower paying work near their homes.
                I personally know someone who travels 100 miles and 3-4 hours to work, sometimes it takes him 5 hours to get home. He works in a high income area and lives in a low cost of living area. He could work where he lives and live well, but he wants more money than that. He can also afford to live in the neighborhood where he works. These people are a problem. It's one thing to have no choices, but many of these folks have choices and the rest of us are paying for their choices.
                I live in Northern Westchester because we can afford a house that is 2x as big with 3x as much land as we could in Southern Westchester. I have a 25-40 minute commute instead of 10-20 minutes. If my wife didn't want to be so close to the city I probably would have wanted to move to Putnam or Dutchess and taken the 50-60 minute commute instead to get the same house + land for less.

We actually live 100 miles from my wife's place of work, but she only goes in about once or twice a month and telecommutes the rest of the time. If you have the kind of job that allows it, it is really a good thing. She is able to stay home and make sure the kids are taken care of, and we do save lots of money on gas and all the expenses that really add up when you physically go to work (nicer work clothes, food, etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
                  how do you get "record profits" at 9%, you dont, you can't.
                  http://finance.google.com/finance?q=xom

Income Statement Quarterly
                  (Mar '08) Annual
                  (2007) Annual
                  (2006) Total Revenue116,854.00 404,552.00 377,635.00 Gross Profit24,221.00 86,264.00 83,809.00 Operating Income20,192.00 70,474.00 67,402.00 Net Income10,890.00 40,610.00 39,500.00

9.3%, 10.0%, 10.4%

They had a lower margin in Q1 2008 than they did full year 2007, but higher profit. You don't need huge margins when your revenue is $400,000,000,000.

Also remember, even ExxonMobil gets pushed around. Venezuala expropriated all of their holdings last year.

Comment

Frankie,
                    I dont know where you live. But I am in So California and am going on my personal experience and also some news articles I've read in the local papers over the years.
                    I bought my first house in upstate NY and commuted over fifty miles to The Bronx, NYC. I could not afford the price of a home or the property taxes on anything closer. That was twenty five years ago and I currently live in CT. I bought my current home nineteen year ago for $240,000 and last year it was valued at $690,000. My salary as a Telephone lineman topped out at $60,000 before I retired and now live on $25,000 plus my wife's salary. The folks I know work for employers like Verizon and various city and state jobs, their incomes have not gone up very much in the last ten years and no one I know purposely bought a house far from their job to save money or be cheap. They were forced to live far from their jobs because they could not afford anything closer. The trade off for living so far is a life wasted on the road driving instead of being with your family, money wasted on replacement cars (not new ones) repairs and gas! I estimate many millions of working people are in this predicament and now thanks to big oil and their insatiable greed these folks are facing financial ruin. You can continue to defend big oil's record profits as modest but they are going to destroy individuals and families and businesses. The products refined from oil are essential commodities and just because it is legal to keep raising prices does not mean it is morally right or economically sound for the stability of our country. Keep defending big oil, keep looking to blame and insult working and retired Americans on fixed incomes who simply cannot afford these increases but in the end we will suffer due not to their ignorance or political affiliation but because of the unconscionable decisions of a small group of people.
                    Last edited by Frankiarmz; 06-11-2008, 11:01 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                      I bought my first house in upstate NY and commuted over fifty miles to The Bronx, NYC. I could not afford the price of a home or the property taxes on anything closer. That was twenty five years ago and I currently live in CT. I bought my current home nineteen year ago for $240,000 and last year it was valued at $690,000. My salary as a Telephone lineman topped out at $60,000 before I retired and now live on $25,000 plus my wife's salary. The folks I know work for employers like Verizon and various city and state jobs, their incomes have not gone up very much in the last ten years and no one I know purposely bought a house far from their job to save money or be cheap. They were forced to live far from their jobs because they could not afford anything closer. The trade off for living so far is a life wasted on the road driving instead of being with your family, money wasted on replacement cars (not new ones) repairs and gas! I estimate many millions of working people are in this predicament and now thanks to big oil and their insatiable greed these folks are facing financial ruin. You can continue to defend big oil's record profits as modest but they are going to destroy individuals and families and businesses. The products refined from oil are essential commodities and just because it is legal to keep raising prices does not mean it is morally right or economically sound for the stability of our country. Keep defending big oil, keep looking to blame and insult working and retired Americans on fixed incomes who simply cannot afford these increases but in the end we will suffer due not to their ignorance or political affiliation but because of the unconscionable decisions of a small group of people.
                      What is your complaining supposed to accomplish? Do you really understand the whole economic picture so well? It seems everyone is an arm-chair expert on these subjects lately. This whole thread is full of BS spouting.

p.s.- not to be too abrasive, but lately all I hear is people everywhere arrogantly complaining as if they have all the answers. I know I certainly don't have the answers and I simply do my best to get by and adapt to the current economic conditions. The world isn't always the way we want it to be, there are over 6 billion of us now and we all have a different view of 'how it should be.'
                      Last edited by Service Guy; 06-11-2008, 11:29 PM.
                      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
                        What is your complaining supposed to accomplish? Do you really understand the whole economic picture so well? It seems everyone is an arm-chair expert on these subjects lately. This whole thread is full of BS spouting.

p.s.- not to be too abrasive, but lately all I hear is people everywhere arrogantly complaining as if they have all the answers. I know I certainly don't have the answers and I simply do my best to get by and adapt to the current economic conditions. The world isn't always the way we want it to be, there are over 6 billion of us now and we all have a different view of 'how it should be.'
                        I'm voicing my upset and outrage. I come from a generation of people who stood up, took action and changes things for the better. I put my job on the line many times and refused to work unsafe, I went on strike many months and got better benefits for myself and my family. It's only b.s. if you don't understand or don't believe You together with other people have the power, the right to change things that are wrong! This whole thread is not loaded with nonsense, it is full of history and personal experience of life and growth and the disgraceful situation we are currently in and must change. My upset is not out of arrogance, it is based on serious concern for a situation out of control which threatens my family and many others. Like yourself I do my best to adapt, but it is not enough and will not be enough if the oil keeps rising. Refuse to go quietly into the night, stand up, speak out and demand justice. Don't let anyone tell you it is unpatriotic to dissent, it is the highest honor to challenge authority and keep it honest. Stand up young man and don't ever sit still when you know something is wrong!

Comment

What is your complaining supposed to accomplish? Do you really understand the whole economic picture
                          so well? It seems everyone is an arm-chair expert on these subjects lately. This whole thread is full of BS spouting.

i by no means am an expert in anything, and no i really can not say that i understand "whole economic picture" well at all, but i do know that fuel prices have gone up 100% in just about a year and roughly 250% in the last 6 years. i also know that none of our wages have gone up that much if at all. i know it affects each and every person i talk to, every company i talk to, and every thing i buy now is 15-30% more than it was a year ago.

i am no expert that is for sure, i but i feel i could have a civil conversation here, and express how i feel, and learn from the people on this forum that have much more edumacation than i have, i also know that if i am talking about it then other people are talking about it and maybe though a group effort we could come up with some ideas that could lead to a possable soultion. i have always been told that if you aren't part of the soultion you are part of the problem.

you have bucked this thread right from the start, i have no idea why, you have written like you know better and the rest of are just stirring up troble, again i do not know why, you have added nothing positive to this thread, ....... why?

service guy, i told you before i have no intent on debating this with you, i know several people who are losing there jobs, homes. cars and families over gas prices and it sickens me, but you just saying they should charge more sickens me more.
                          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                            I'm voicing my upset and outrage. I come from a generation of people who stood up, took action and changes things for the better. I put my job on the line many times and refused to work unsafe, I went on strike many months and got better benefits for myself and my family. It's only b.s. if you don't understand or don't believe You together with other people have the power, the right to change things that are wrong! This whole thread is not loaded with nonsense, it is full of history and personal experience of life and growth and the disgraceful situation we are currently in and must change. My upset is not out of arrogance, it is based on serious concern for a situation out of control which threatens my family and many others. Like yourself I do my best to adapt, but it is not enough and will not be enough if the oil keeps rising. Refuse to go quietly into the night, stand up, speak out and demand justice. Don't let anyone tell you it is unpatriotic to dissent, it is the highest honor to challenge authority and keep it honest. Stand up young man and don't ever sit still when you know something is wrong!
                            I respect your determination. I really don't know who or what is to blame, but I do know that we need to conserve, and look into alternative energy technologies. Sitting around crying about oil prices isn't accomplishing squat.

Comment

I respect your determination. I really don't know who or what is to blame, but I do know that we need to conserve, and look into alternative energy technologies.

now this a agree with
                              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
                                now this a agree with
                                We have some different views, but some the same. Sorry if I seem confrontational in this thread. I just represent a different opinion than many here. I like your posts, and keep them coming.

I apologize oldslow, I'll try to be more respectful of everyone's opinion from now on.

Comment

Working...
                                X