X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• truckers move the U.S.A.

many of you know that i am a driver(though not doing so at this time) and many of you also know that diesel in most parts of the country is now past $5 a gallon a station 1 mile from me is $5.74.

i talk to quite a few drivers and the price they pay per gallon of fuel is killing them many will do a run for an example for $1000 not bad huh, till you see they have spent $1200 in fuel just to do the run, and that does not include food!!!!. how long can this go on for? these people give so much of them selfs just to provide stuff for us so they in turn can provide for there families. and here recently out of the 30 drivers that i talk to and have known for years, well now there are scared,11 might lose there homes, 18 of them either have lost of are losing there wife and or kids and 27 of them are at the very least 2 payments late on there rigs and all 30 of the are atleast 1 patment late. and no i am not kidding or making this up.

fuel prices is going to start some very bad situations on our highways very soon. this drivers are going to start running 2-maybe even 3 log books (cdl drivers are only allowed to run 60 hours on a 7 day week) and think about this how do these drivers stay awake for 24-72 hours at a time? drugs, that how. yes nothing new to the trucking industry but the industry had made major major advancements in cleaning up it's act over the past 20 years. now image you and your family are out on the highway and a 40 ton, thats 80,000 pounds of truck passes you and you look up in the cab.......... and the driver is hunched over asleep at the wheel with his foot still on the gas. can you image?

this is really getting out of control unemployment is almost at setting records, fuel has just topped 140 a barrel, and the people that have to supply this country with goods are losing every thing they have worked so very hard for. it just is not right. we as a nation need to speak up and we need to do it soon. we can no longer be about this. if it is afecting our drivers then it will afect you to, it is just a matter of time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mxygo...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cQ3_...eature=related
    Last edited by oldslowchevy; 06-07-2008, 03:44 AM.
    9/11/01, never forget.

Re: truckers move the U.S.A.

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
    i talk to quite a few drivers and the price they pay per gallon of fuel is killing them many will do a run for an example for $1000 not bad huh, till you see they have spent $1200 in fuel just to do the run, and that does not include food!!!!
    Why are they doiing the run instead of staying home if they have to pay $200 (even more than that after you count maintenance etc.) to work?

This is going to have to trickle down to the rest of us in the form of higher prices on food, and pretty much everything else; since there is no way that this is sustainable.

Comment

Here is an example of what CPW alluded to when he suggested trickle down effects. On the macro side of fuel costs, I went to work for a company a few weeks ago that does environmental clean ups. They have a $23,000,000 job projected to start around the first of July. Since the award of the bid a few months ago, and last week, unanticipated projected fuel costs have risen $1.2 million dollars. Not risen to $1.2 million risen by $1.2 million. Unfortunately for the company there is no clause for increased fuel costs to be added to the contract. The cost rise is primarily based on the price of natural gas which will be flowing through a four inch line 24 hours a day for a minimum of 10 months into a portable burn plant. Costs of diesel fuel for end dumps, dozers, excavators and the like are also factored into the cost rise.

The trickle down effect is that this project is federally funded. The company is currently working on a bid for a project four times the size of this one. Who is going to pay for the increased fuel costs associated with the new project? You and me - taxpayers. We might not think about fuel costs associated with construction projects but they are huge. I wonder what the trickle down effect of fuel costs has on the cost of Ridgid Tools. They have to pass the increased costs of fuel along to the consumer. Everything is effected.

-Tom

Comment

So truckers need to charge more, since fuel is a business expense.
        If all of you collectively demand more pay, the market must pay it.
        Last edited by Service Guy; 06-07-2008, 01:25 PM.
        Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post

Or start eating less
          Last edited by mrs. westcoast; 06-07-2008, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
            If all of you collectively demand more pay, the market must pay it.
            you must have no idea how this industry works,

we do not nor can we demand more pay, it don't work like that. you get a load you are told where the load is and where it is going to what the milage is and what the shipper with pay and if you don't want that load you can (and will) sit at the truck stop for the next few days until another run comes along, while some else take that run.

over the road drivers often spend a month or more on the road. that means 30 plus days so that you and i can have the life that you have and they do not see there familes or friends for 30 or more days.

since you are a plumber but trade i will try to explain this to you in trems that you will understand(hopefully)

do you go out and do free estments? how much gas did you burn? now if you do say 10 estments a week how much did you burn? and you have not made a dime yet. now out of the 10, 2 call you back to do the work. now you do a bid on prices as they are now(toilets pipe sinks fittings ect.) but you can't do the work for oh lets say a month and a half due to the site not being ready permits that need to be pulled ect well since then the prices in fuel has gone up .20 cents a gallon now your sully house had to raise there prices on every thing due to the fuel prices and yet you are still bruning fuel to get every thing that you need, now how much did that jump in fuel just kill your profit that a month and a half ago would have been oh lets just say 1500, but now is closer to 1000 maybe more, maybe less. but still it put a hit on you.

now how does that compare?

if i took a load from south west florida to washington state. and when i left here fuel was 5.74 a gal(what it is currently) and over the 5 days it would take me to drive there(remember trucker cant drive the miles reguler drivers can) fuel jumps up to oh lets say 5.85 a gallon, and i have to fill my tanks every two days at a 300 gallon fill up that would cost me $1752 every two days, and your answer is for drivers to raise there prices, come on now that is just insane.

i do know what you mean that if we all demand more the market must pay it but it just won't work, not for long
            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

i do know what you mean that if we all demand more the market must pay it but it just won't work, not for long
              Why not? Its the law of Supply and demand. If there is no profit in trucking, everyone will quit trucking. If nobody is trucking then the DEMAND for it will drive prices UP.

If the industry is really as bad as say it is, then get out of trucking because you make it sound like nobody is making any money at all and there is no hope of making more.

p.s. I don't do free estimates. My business fuel is indirectly payed for by my customers as it should be.
              Last edited by Service Guy; 06-07-2008, 03:57 PM.

Comment

It seems simple to me. Trucking requires fuel. If fuel prices go up, shipping prices also must eventually go up accordingly to compensate. If not, then nobody will want to do it.

Comment

ok here is why what you say wont work, that guy working at mc donalds, or the local gas station wal-mart or other low paying jobs, if the drivers keep rasing prices then how can those low paid workers make ends meet? they can't.

as far as me geting out of driving i have since there was not work here i might of ran 4 day a month, so i stepped down out of the industry for a while. till my son goes to boot camp then i might go to work for as a company driver some where as there is no way i can make a living down here as a dump truck driver. but i would not even concider being an owner operater.

the big problem is this fuel goes up, product prices go up, wages stay the same, now you please tell me how that works?

service guy the last thing i feel like doing is argueing with you. you think you are right and i think i am right, and i am not going to battle this with you or anyone else, fuel prices have jumped up almost 200% in 10 years and nothing else has, it has to effect something other then your wallet.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by oldslowchevy; 06-07-2008, 04:51 PM.
                  9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

In my view its our dependence on oil that got us here. Nobody listened until its now hurting the economy. It was inevitable this was going to happen. Now we have to deal with it one way or another.

Comment

Kevin,
                      I know you're right. It just doesn't pay to argue with some people. Some won't get it until the recession deepens into a full-blown depression (and it's coming by the way). When people can't afford to eat, drive to work, and their service business goes down the drain, then they'll get it, but they won't ever admit it. Good luck to you Kevin, a lot of us in the Northern states are suffering right now too. We've got a few fat cats running the country and running their corporate profits sky high, but when the S--- hits the fan, things will change radically.
                      Jim Don

Comment

Yes we are in a recession. So what now?

Comment

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080607/...ge/oil_meeting

Leading energy-consuming nations urged oil producers Saturday to boost their output to counter soaring prices threatening the world economy, while they pledged to develop clean energy technologies and improve efficiency.
                          It looks like the major oil nations are pushing for increased output.

Comment

[QUOTE=oldslowchevy;148784]many of you know that i am a driver(though not doing so at this time) and many of you also know that diesel in most parts of the country is now past $5 a gallon a station 1 mile from me is $5.74.

i talk to quite a few drivers and the price they pay per gallon of fuel is killing them many will do a run for an example for $1000 not bad huh, till you see they have spent $1200 in fuel just to do the run, and that does not include food!!!!. how long can this go on for? these people give so much of them selfs just to provide stuff for us so they in turn can provide for there families. and here recently out of the 30 drivers that i talk to and have known for years, well now there are scared,11 might lose there homes, 18 of them either have lost of are losing there wife and or kids and 27 of them are at the very least 2 payments late on there rigs and all 30 of the are atleast 1 patment late. and no i am not kidding or making this up.

fuel prices is going to start some very bad situations on our highways very soon. this drivers are going to start running 2-maybe even 3 log books (cdl drivers are only allowed to run 60 hours on a 7 day week) and think about this how do these drivers stay awake for 24-72 hours at a time? drugs, that how. yes nothing new to the trucking industry but the industry had made major major advancements in cleaning up it's act over the past 20 years. now image you and your family are out on the highway and a 40 ton, thats 80,000 pounds of truck passes you and you look up in the cab.......... and the driver is hunched over asleep at the wheel with his foot still on the gas. can you image?

this is really getting out of control unemployment is almost at setting records, fuel has just topped 140 a barrel, and the people that have to supply this country with goods are losing every thing they have worked so very hard for. it just is not right. we as a nation need to speak up and we need to do it soon. we can no longer be about this. if it is afecting our drivers then it will afect you to, it is just a matter of time.

OSC, this is a daily topic of conversation with me a a couple of retired buddies. Don't want to doom and gloom but it sure seems serious and what's more for the life of me I don't see a way of turning it around. Too much is out of wack. Twenty plus million illegals using local services and not contributing, taking jobs (semi skilled and skilled) from Americans because they can undercut. Tens of thousands of jobs lost to the third world and the oil companies making billion dollar profits. Seriously, what in this mess is going to change with a new president? Nothing!!! In my opinion left unresolved there will be some kind of protests, demonstrations or other more violent behavior seen real soon. Folks who were barely making ends meet when the oil was $60.00 plus last year are doomed when it hits $150.00 plus real soon. News commentator on the Fox channel made the mistake yesterday after the $11.00 rise on a barrel of crude that just one hurricane and we will be paying $7.00 a gallon for gas. How about heating our homes and feeding our families? Our legislators need to call an emergency meeting and sit down with big oil, lay out on the table that if they don't roll back prices and take less profits, get the stock market to suspend trading and speculators, our economy will collapse. IF you agree that this could happen and things are this serious, then you know what to expect. I'm stocking up on shot gun shells and canned goods. Got the wood burning stove on order, and I'm getting prepared for a long haul of bad times ahead. This is no joke, no cycle in our economy and the experts on tv will be roasting in hell for lying to the public.

Comment

Hard times for sure. I hate to admit it, but I'm beginning to think like you Frankie, that a giant economic crisis is coming and its time to hunker down, old school.

Comment

Working...
                              X