• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Try This!!!!

Tips for Handling Telemarketers

Three Little Words That Work !!

(1)The three little words are: 'Hold On, Please...'

Saying this, while putting down your phone and walking off (instead of hanging-up immediately) would make each telemarketing call so much more time-consuming that boiler room sales would grind to a halt.

Then when you eventually hear the phone company's 'beep-beep-beep' tone, you know it's time to go back and hang up your handset, which has efficiently completed its task.

These three little words will helpeliminate telep hone soliciting.

(2) Do you ever get those annoying phone calls with no one on the other end?

This is a telemarketing technique where a machine makes phone calls and records the time of day when a person answers the phone.

This technique is used to determine the best time of day for a 'real' sales person to call back and get someone at home.

What you can do after answering, if you notice there is no one there, is to immediately start hitting your # button on the phone, 6 or 7 times, as quickly as possible This confuses the machine that dialed the call and it kicks your number out of their system. Gosh, what a shame not to have your name in their system a ny longer !!!

(3) Junk Mail Help:
    When you get 'ads' enclosed with your phone or utility bill, return these 'ads' with your payment. Let the sending companies throw their own junk mail away.

When you get those 'pre-approved' letters in the mail for everything from credit cards to 2nd mortgages and similar type junk, do not throw away the return envelope.

Most of these come with postage-paid return envelopes, right? It costs them more than the regular 41 cents postage 'IF' and when they receive them back.

It costs them nothing if you throw them away! The postage was around 50 cents before the last increase and it is according to the weight. In that case, why not get rid of some of your other junk mail an d put it in these cool little, postage-paid return envelopes.

One of Andy Rooney's (60 minutes) ideas.
    Send an ad for your local chimney cleaner to American Express. Send a pizza coupon to Citibank. If you didn't get anything else that day, then just send them their blank application back!
    If you want to remain anonymous, just make sure your name isn't on anything you send them.

You can even send the envelope back empty if you want to just to keep them guessing! It still costs them 41 cents.

The banks and credit card companies are currently getting a lot of their own junk back in the mail, but folks, we need to OVERWHELM them. Let's let them know what it's like to get lots of junk mail, and best of all they'r e paying for it...Twice!

Let's help keep our postal service busy since they are saying that e-mail is cutting into their business profits, and that's why they need to increase postage costs again You get the idea !

If enough people follow these tips, it will work ---- I have been doing this for years, and I get very little junk mail anymore.
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Re: Try This!!!!

sweet, especially the one with the returning envelop
    about the phone call, most of those guys will hang up after 5 seconds or so but its worth giving a shot

Comment

I've been doing #1 and #3 for years. I wasn't aware of #2 but will definately add it my list of things to do. I HATE telemarketers!
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
        I've been doing #1 and #3 for years. I wasn't aware of #2 but will definately add it my list of things to do. I HATE telemarketers!
        and did it work for you?

Comment

I was aware of #2 where no one is on the phone and figured out that they were trying to determine the best time of day to call. I'll try the # sign idea to see if that confuses them enough not to include me in on their calls.

Comment

I act like I am very interested in everything they have to offer, give them a fake name and, ask a lot of stupid questions to keep them on the line but, in the end I tell them I'm just messing with them and don't want anything. Some of them get pretty PO'ed.

My mom stuffs the return envelopes with a bunch of junk mail. Enough to make their pre paid postage short. So they have to pay the amount due when they get it. Great way to be forever removed from a mailing list.

This guy has the best way to deal with telemarketers. Very funny. he has a bunch of recordings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB-RbKbKPs0

This one is better
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un_PjRXV5l8
            Last edited by Gene Bickford; 06-08-2008, 07:28 PM.
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Those Tom Mabe videos are f*ing hilarious.

Comment

I like to keep an air horn near the phone. Works everytime. Tempted to use it on the mother in law.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jan_vb View Post
                  and did it work for you?
                  Who knows when it comes to the telemarketers? There are far too many telemarketers out there to know which do or do not call back and which are just brand new calls.

As far as returning the prepaid envelopes go, I have seen a reduction in that type of junk mail. Of course that reduction has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I alone am mailing the prepaid envelopes back. The junk mailer's have no way of knowing that it's me returning their prepaid envelopes so how could they take me off their mailing list. I believe though that the reduction in these mailing is directly linked to the fact that more and more people are making these companies pay return postage by sending their junk mail right back to them in their prepaid envelopes.
                  Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I jsut tell them,

"I do not buy from telemarketers"

and that usually ends the conversation in a hurry.
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Tom Mabe! ROFLMAO

This is what I do for calls.

Both my home phone and cell phone are registered with the National Do Not Call network. Renewed every five years. This limits calls to charities ( I give to enough, thanks), political parties and companies that I do business with (magazines, credit cards etc.)

Caller ID works for me. Usually they use 800 series number prefixes so I just don't answer. If I don't recognize other numbers, I don't answer and see if they leave a voice mail. If they really want to talk with me, callers usually leave a message.

Fortunately, the primaries are over so the political calls are suspended for a while.

This works for me.

Comment

Hey this is good stuff. I love the idea of sending back the mail spam that I have been receiving. My recycling box is going to be a little bit emptier next time I set it out. Thanks for the idea Garager you have just made my day. Spamming the spamers got a love it.

Comment

Working...
                        X