Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maybe it's just me...(Another Obama thread)

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
    The Shoreham Nuclear Power Plant (also known as the Wading River Nuclear Power Plant) was a completed $6 billion General Electric nuclear boiling water reactor located adjacent to the Wading River in East Shoreham, New York that was closed by protests in 1989 without generating any commercial electrical power

The plant was conceived by the Long Island Lighting Company (LILCO) and was built between 1973 and 1984. Its location on Long Island Sound — near the mouth of the small stream that forms the border between Brookhaven and Riverhead towns — was largely rural at the time (although within 60 miles of Manhattan).

It drew increasingly intense opposition after the 1979 Three Mile Island and the 1986 Chernobyl accidents, resulting in delays and cost increases before New York Governor Mario Cuomo pulled the plug in a state takeover of the plant. The state would ultimately take over LILCO also.

In contrast, a virtual twin, the 660 MWe Millstone 1, was ordered in 1966 across the Long Island Sound in Connecticut. It was completed for $101 million and became fully operational within 5 years of receiving a construction permit, producing power until July 21, 1998.

After completion, Shoreham received a low power license and underwent low power testing, but never produced any commercial electric power, due to the fact that New York Governor Mario Cuomo's representatives did not sign the Emergency Evacuation Plan. This meant that it could not receive a full power license from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC).

On May 19, 1989, LILCO agreed not to operate the plant in a deal with the state under which most of the $6 billion cost of the unused plant was passed along to Long Island residents.[1] The Long Island Power Authority (LIPA), headed by Richard Kessel, was created in 1986 specifically to buy the plant from LILCO (which it did in 1992). The plant was fully decommissioned in 1994.

The electricity that would have been generated by the plant is now produced by fossil fuels instead.[1][2][3]

We need Nuclear power plants but they must be built properly, no screw ups!
    And when I was a suffolk county rate payer, I will tell you that LIPA bills were a frigging scam. The "excess fuel surcharge" was more than the electricity. The scam part comes in that they claimed they needed no PSA approval to increase the surcharge like they did to increase the rates.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
      Why??
      Let me guess...trying to cater to some politically correct notion that it's dangerous?
      Yep. Also environmentalist saying it damages the river. The license allows 2.5 billion gallons of water a day w/ up to a 19 degree rise. There is actually a cool heat plume you can see if you have the right satellites, but I can't find a picture of it right now.

Comment

Hmmmm,

"cool heat plume" ????? HUH???

Non sequitur

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by JimDon View Post
          Hmmmm,

"cool heat plume" ????? HUH???

Non sequitur

Jim
          I guess "neat looking heat plume" would be more correct.

In relation to a nuclear sub's reactor it would be a cool (as in cold) heat plume though.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
            On another note why should oil companies build more refiniries? People are preaching have been preaching for another source of energy for years. Lets see, spend billions on refiniries and then maybe they'll be useless due to an alternate source of energy?
            Also, many oil companies do not refine oil, they sell it to refiners.
            Refiners are not building refineries here for many reasons. The biggest one is that it is far, far cheaper and easier to build them overseas.
            If a refinery was to be built here environmentalists would tie it up for at least 10 years before plans would even be drawn up, even after the 10 years you'd see lawsuits and other crapola delay it. Figure 5 years of construction. You're looking at at least 20 years til this country ever sees another refinery.
            Same thing with nuke plants, except that those take about 10 years to build.
            Unless we get a president with some balls who is willing to do what it takes we will not see another refinery, another nuke plant, or substantially more oil drilling in this country in our lifetimes.
            www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Working...
            X