X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smart Car, Stupid Consumers?

Saw my first "Smart Car" on the road and man it looked small and scary. I don't see how they can justify making and selling this puny excuse for a car to the public? Mile per gallon ratings are 33 city and 40 highway which are lousy considering the size of this thing. Hope better alterantive vehicles are on the way because this will not fix our problems with the exception of tight parking spaces.

Re: Smart Car, Stupid Consumers?

frank i agree, there are a bunch of these cars down here in florida, and i have seen many larger cars with roughly the same milage per gallon, a toyota carolla is one that comes to mind.

i remember being in high school when this car was either a concept or just sold over seas (1990-1991) and i thought it was cool and the milage was awesome, but now i am not impressed with it at all, and i have seem a few motorcycles next to it and the are rougly the same size, it kinda makes me wonder what the flip over rate is on these, but as far as looks go, there is nothing else on the road that comes close.
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I think this car lost something in the translation from a euro to us version. The US versions gas mileage sucks. They work well for their intended puspose as city cars, particularly in europe with so many old small streets but I don't think the concept works well in the US. It's not a highway car.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
        this will not fix our problems with the exception of tight parking spaces.
        Thats really what the original concept for the car was. Just a compact city car for horribly congested european cities. The gas mileage didn't really play such a big role then.
        Last edited by Velosapien; 06-10-2008, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Can you say unsafe!!!! I used to drive tow trucks a few years ago when i was a little slow and let me tell you a kia gets real messed up at only 30 mph into guiderails at 60 mph head on see ya, a honda civic, those "crumple zones" they work but after an accident the only way to get out of a car is thouth a window because the doors dont like to open unless you are just short of hercules... or Gear Junkie (that is the rumor that has come out of the Roundup at least) Back to the topic.... I dont know about you guys but i dont like that idea. How come we can't just get the trucks we need that make the world go round more fuel efficient and just as strong. Our technologies have come so far but in as far as fuel efficeint vehicle we seem to be in the "stone age" and oh yeah more affordable too as far a truck 33K for a pick up truck come'on people? Everyone should make a buck but pass it on to the working man. I cant think straight now ill add more later!

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
            How come we can't just get the trucks we need that make the world go round more fuel efficient and just as strong.
            For an additional $10k they are making a hybrid Tahoe that does just as well as a regular Camry in the driving (21 mpg). You would need a lot of miles to make up that $10k though.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
              For an additional $10k they are making a hybrid Tahoe that does just as well as a regular Camry in the driving (21 mpg). You would need a lot of miles to make up that $10k though.
              10K is a lot of dough but if you really need the utility (towing,large objects etc) a Camry is no Tahoe. 21mpg is impressive for a Tahoe but I do have reservations in achieving that figure unless road conditions improve (daily traffic) or I change my driving habits (offensive). If I could unload my mid-size SUV I would get a civic/camry-sized vehicle with 4cyl in order to achieve better safety plus great gas mileage instead of that "smartcar" and keep my full-size pick-up for the towing/hauling.
              Last edited by reConx; 06-10-2008, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by reConx View Post
                10K is a lot of dough but if you really need the utility (towing,large objects etc) a Camry is no Tahoe. 21mpg is impressive for a Tahoe but I do have reservations in achieving that figure unless road conditions improve (daily traffic) or I change my driving habits (offensive). If I could unload my mid-size SUV I would get a civic/camry-sized vehicle with 4cyl in order to achieve better safety plus great gas mileage instead of that "smartcar" and keep my full-size pick-up for the towing/hauling.
                I didn't mean to say that a Camry was as good as a Tahoe for those things. I was trying to commend GM on building such a powerful car that has the performance of the gas-only Tahoe, but making it have the same mileage as a small car.

The Tahoe's hybrid highway mileage doesn't get any better, but if you are sitting in traffic or stop and go it basically brings the city mileage up to the highway mileage.

The regular Tahoe uses 0.0666 gallons/mile. The Hybrid uses 0.05. You save 0.01666 per (city). At $4/gallon that is six cents. To make up $10,000 you need to drive it at least 150,000 miles. That basically means it is a toss up as to whether you'll save or spend more money (assuming $4/gallon).

Comment

Here's my son when he was 12 in front of a smart car in Sorrento, Italy.
                  If you lived in a crowded city with little parking I think it would be cool. If you have to get on the expressway-a death trap.
                  Attached Files
                  "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

WOULD EVERYONE DO ME A FAVOR? GO TO http://www.fueleconomy.gov AND CHECK THE SPECS ON THE HONDA CIVIC HB VX. AROUND 1995.

KEEP IN MIND THIS VEHICLE IS 13 YEARS OLD. HAVEN'T IMPROVED MUCH HAVE WE? HYBRID SHMYBRID.

OH, BY THE WAY, DON'T GO LOOKING FOR ONE. PEOPLE THAT BOUGHT THEM DRIVE THEM FOREVER OR KIDS BUILD UP/SCREW UP THEIR ENGINE.

I LOOKED FOR ONE EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE FOR YEARS. NEVER FOUND A DECENT USED ONE. ALWAYS BEEN A BIT OF A CAR NUT.

J.C.

Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 06-23-2008, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Once upon a time I had a 1984 Chevy Caprice Classic 4 door with 4 speed auto trans and 5.0L 305 Cu. In. engine in it. While they claimed it would run on regular 87 gasoline, I found this to be not so. It would run OK on plus 89 and even better on super 93. Running it on super 93, I got around 25-26 MPG on average out on the highway going 55-60 MPH on level roads. In the city I got about 15 MPG or so. Considering it weighed over 5000 pounds empty and with a full fuel tank, I think that was pretty good considering many new cars that are under 3500 pounds can't do that well today.

I really want to see a good size car done as a hybrid electric with a constant speed Diesel engine generator and full electronic controls. I want it to have a good battery capacity as well. Then I really think we may see 4000 pounds getting over 35 MPG highway and 30 in the city on average. The coo coo half @$$ mini battery hybrids out now are just hype and big $$$. They need to get it right for a change.

Comment

I had a datsun b210 once upon a time. It was about the size of todays honda civic. I got 35 mpg in the city and close to 50mpg on the highway. This was back in the 1970s. What gives?
                        www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

1994 Geo Metro XFI

Use Your Gas Prices &
                          Annual Miles

Switch to Metric units

Estimated New EPA MPG
                          MPG ratings for this vehicle have been revised
                          Regular Gasoline
                          City 46
                          Combined 51
                          Hwy

Compare to Official
                          EPA Window
                          Sticker MPG

MPG Estimates from Drivers Like You
                          Learn more about
                          "Your MPG"
                          Average based on 2 vehicles.
                          Lo
                          51 Hi

Fourteen years later and we can't do any better ?

Comment

What do ya mean unsafe have you seen a smart car lately
                            Attached Files

Comment

[quote=Woussko;153578]Once upon a time I had a 1984 Chevy Caprice Classic 4 door with 4 speed auto trans and 5.0L 305 Cu. In. engine in it. While they claimed it would run on regular 87 gasoline, I found this to be not so. It would run OK on plus 89 and even better on super 93. Running it on super 93, I got around 25-26 MPG on average out on the highway going 55-60 MPH on level roads. In the city I got about 15 MPG or so. Considering it weighed over 5000 pounds empty and with a full fuel tank, I think that was pretty good considering many new cars that are under 3500 pounds can't do that well today. quote]

I had the same Caprice Classic dark metallic blue and dead ringer for undercover patrol car. I remember the tough chrome bumpers, big trunk, and decent gas mileage (22mpg++) on cruise control.

Comment

Working...
                              X