X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Josh's Vacation

Well I have a vacation to Alaska coming up in a few weeks. Leaving the boys here so we have a lot of freedom while there. We are going to be staying in Juneau.

So here is a short list of things I want to do while there. I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions. Preferably cheap.

My list...

1) fishing charter
    2) hiking (mountains, glaciers, etc.)
    3) mountain biking
    4) Taking lots of pictures

I thought about maybe camping out there but not sure how safe it would be with the wildlife.

Anyone have any experience up there with some suggestions.

Thanks,

Josh

PS... dont worry I'll still be on the forum

Re: Josh's Vacation

Before you leave, find out what eateries are the best in the area.

If you're going up there when there's only 2-4 hours of darkness.....that has to be so freaking awesome as I wish that was the case everywhere, all the time.

I'd never stop working, I'd figure out how to not sleep.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post

Thanks,

Josh

PS... dont worry I'll still be on the forum
      josh i wish i had the chance to go it is my dream to go there some day

and leave the computer at home and have some one like rick take care of the forum .
      no have some one from work do it and enjoy your self
      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Josh

Have a great time as you sure have earned it. Sorry, but Alaska is not a place I much about. Maybe if you're lucky and get far out from cities you can have a nice encounter (at safe distance) with some beautiful arctic white wolves!!!

Comment

Josh you can't do a vacation of a lifetime on the cheap

Fishing charter?...have you seen Deadliest Catch

No doubt you will do the Tramway in Juneau
          http://www.goldbelt.com/subsidiaries/MRT.html

Hope Helen isn't afraid of heights

Maybe do some flightseeing in Glacier Bay National Park
          http://www.flyglacierbay.com/tours.html

I love their motto: 'Taking people where they do not belong'

Bring me back a Puffin

What are the bugs like in the middle of summer?

Comment

Josh,

Until recently the Alaskan Tundra was an annual trip for me. While all of Alaska is beautiful you should try and get away from the tourist stuff if you can. If you get outside of civilization there is a chance of a bear encounter but those are not bad if you stay smart. You may want to spend some time on the Internet research bear avoidance. Most of my time was spent in the Mulchatna drainage so I was quite a bit Northwest of where you will be.

For the time of year you will be there you will likely have temps similar to Ohio but be prepared for the cold as well. Bring plenty of bug repellent as one year when I was in Fairbanks everyone ran out and the stores were not expecting another shipment until Spring. As far as long days or nights you will not have either this time of year or where you will be located.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Have a great time Josh! I love the great outdoors, I'm jealous!
              Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Josh, Have you seen Arctic char? Now that's fishing.
                sigpic

Comment

josh, bring back the alaskan set of brass knuckles, known as an "ulu"

basically an axe blade that you grip in your fist.

when i went a few years ago i was so bored of the tourist stuff/ cruise that i found a shop that sold an electronic fart machine with remote controll. talk about a party on the ship

hope you like fishing and salmon

hope there's still a forum when you return

don't worry, i'll look after it for you

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

If I was ever up there I would make sure that I would get on a boat that would take us out to see the Orcas.I don't know if you're into that.

A buddy was up there last week for salmon.Three times out,got skunked all three.Water's too cold for them to want to come up river to spawn.By the time you get up there it should be poppin'.He was able to make something out of it with the halibut.
                    How does hundred pounders sound?

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      josh, bring back the alaskan set of brass knuckles, known as an "ulu"

basically an axe blade that you grip in your fist.

rick.

Here is a picture of my hunting knives I bought for Alaska. As you can see they include an Ulu. After 5,000-years it is still the best tool for skinning.

Mark
                      Attached Files
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. I do want to get away from all the touristy stuff. overpriced and not as intimate since they have to worry about getting sued if someone gets hurt. I sorta have a dream of waking up next to a lake and making breakfast. Just gotta watch out for the bears.

Josh

Comment

If you decide to cross the Alaskan gulf, feel free to wander over to the ten acres I own outside of Kodiak and start felling trees, the ones that need to be felled are marked. Save the timber, I'll need it to build the log home that is going on the property.

Comment

When we went to Alaska some years ago, my best time was fly fishing on a glacier-fed stream, then we took a chopper trip and walked on it. I'd recommend the fly-fishing....the walking on a glacier is plain scary! Mike's best memory is the bicycling trip he did. You'll have LOTS of sunshine. Don't be surprised at 11pm if it feels like 5pm...and you're just getting warmed up at the bar! Be careful about that. Also, keep in mind a lot of the "natives" don't like tourists. Be polite, and you'll be fine though. I never had any problems, neither did Mike. I found the people to be warm and helpful, even good-humored for the most part; basically like people are.

I hope you guys have the time of your lives. Black bears are a problem, but the grizzly's are the worst. The problem is a grizz can take a shot to the heart and still run 50 yds. Straight at you, typically. If you want to go camping, take a GOOD gun that you know how to shoot. Better than that, get a guide!! The guides up there are usually pretty good and it's a well-managed industry. You can usually find one in Juno or any town that you visit that'll be willing to go with you. Make sure they're an official outfit that's able to get the fishing license for you. They have a 6-day license that's not too expensive for fish. It's well worth it if you have the chance. The guide will take you to a good spot. You'll have to do some walking in some mucky places, but it'll be the best sight-seeing fishing you've ever done, probably.

Take your camera, extra memory and batteries too. You'll have lots of good memories, I'm sure. I'm envious and wish I could go again. You and your lovely wife will have a great time.
                            I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Killertoiletspider View Post
                              If you decide to cross the Alaskan gulf, feel free to wander over to the ten acres I own outside of Kodiak and start felling trees, the ones that need to be felled are marked. Save the timber, I'll need it to build the log home that is going on the property.
                              ok when is the ridgid forum log home building get together im in
                              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Working...
                              X