X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locals Beating the BORG on Price

Generally I think of HD being cheaper than everywhere else, but here are two two instances in the last month in which local stores have beaten HD.

I wanted Echo back pack blower to clean up grass clippings. I looked at the HD and there decided on the Echo PB413, but then decided to visit the local lawnmower store. At first glance you aren't going to see anything cheaper, because they only have tags for the $500+ plus ones. After asking I learned they could order the PB413. HD has the hip throttle model for $299, but no tube throttle version. The tube is more desirable, the only one that the lawn mower would stock, and normally $309 ($10 more expensive). Got the tube mounted throttle for the same $299 by paying cash so he didn't have the credit card fees. I count this as a win in both service and price.

Today I needed a 24" pipe wrench. Home Depot had the RIDGID one for $60 and Chinese crap for $40 (+ tax). The local plumbing supply house down the road had a Lenox (made in China, but not as obvious crap like the one at HD) for $35 out the door. Also it only took the guy 2 minutes to get a new in the box one after I asked how much their 'cheapest 24" pipe wrench was', without me having to scour several aisles. I was floored that they had anything which would compete with HD on price, and almost didn't bother to ask. Another win on both price and service.

Re: Locals Beating the BORG on Price

Originally posted by cpw View Post
    Generally I think of HD being cheaper than everywhere else, but here are two two instances in the last month in which local stores have beaten HD.

I wanted Echo back pack blower to clean up grass clippings. I looked at the HD and there decided on the Echo PB413, but then decided to visit the local lawnmower store. At first glance you aren't going to see anything cheaper, because they only have tags for the $500+ plus ones. After asking I learned they could order the PB413. HD has the hip throttle model for $299, but no tube throttle version. The tube is more desirable, the only one that the lawn mower would stock, and normally $309 ($10 more expensive). Got the tube mounted throttle for the same $299 by paying cash so he didn't have the credit card fees. I count this as a win in both service and price.

Today I needed a 24" pipe wrench. Home Depot had the RIDGID one for $60 and Chinese crap for $40 (+ tax). The local plumbing supply house down the road had a Lenox (made in China, but not as obvious crap like the one at HD) for $35 out the door. Also it only took the guy 2 minutes to get a new in the box one after I asked how much their 'cheapest 24" pipe wrench was', without me having to scour several aisles. I was floored that they had anything which would compete with HD on price, and almost didn't bother to ask. Another win on both price and service.
    I like to support the mom and pop shops over H.D. and the like. Many times the local hardware store will be only a few cents/dollars more then HD

Comment

HD and Lowes are not always the cheapest, people simple assume that. I got all my fixtures from Ferguson when I remodeled my house and they crushed Lowes on price. (mainly because of my contractor discount)
      Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
        HD and Lowes are not always the cheapest, people simple assume that. I got all my fixtures from Ferguson when I remodeled my house and they crushed Lowes on price. (mainly because of my contractor discount)
        Bens gonna hate me, but You're right...nobody beats fergusons here.
        I've sent customers to Delta's website to pick out faucets, Fergusons sells them to me below the sites listed prices.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
          Bens gonna hate me, but You're right...nobody beats fergusons here.
          I've sent customers to Delta's website to pick out faucets, Fergusons sells them to me below the sites listed prices.
          Lowe's was selling their fixtures at list price last I checked, so they are not cheap at all...
          I hate ferguson's service sometimes, but I buy all my fixtures and water heaters there as they haev quality stuff at decent rates.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
            I like to support the mom and pop shops over H.D. and the like. Many times the local hardware store will be only a few cents/dollars more then HD
            Coincidence, did a W/H Saturday and realized last minute I was out of vac breakers.
            Stopped by a local hardware store...had to pay $32 for a 1/2" breaker.
            Even HD sells them for just over $12.

Comment

For me its not price thats the problem, its quality. The local hardware stores sell the cheapest junk I have ever seen as far as plumbing parts anyway.

Comment

Working...
              X