X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Tell a shoplifter to have a good day"

This may not be necessarily unique for HD employees but its something to think about while looking for help at the HD.

Home Depot Fires Men Who Stopped Thieves”

Midwest City, Okla. – A former Home Depot employee said the company fired him and three other workers because they helped police catch several suspected shoplifters in May. An internal memo from Home Depot outlines that associates cannot accuse, detain, or chase or call the police on any customer for shoplifting. The employees said the company is selective in enforcing that policy Midwest City Police Chief said he would not have caught the suspects or recovered the property or the stolen car if not for these employees.

Re: "Tell a shoplifter to have a good day"

Home Depot employees...........recovered stolen car?? There must be more to this story than what you provided.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
      Home Depot employees...........recovered stolen car?? There must be more to this story than what you provided.

http://www.koco.com/news/13441545/detail.html
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
        The article just made me think about the lack of good help at HD and the difficulty HD has in retaining and recruiting good help in their stores. Utah provided the link for the complete details. A stolen car was part of the crime spree prior to the shoplifting.
        I remember when my local HD first opened and customer service was fantastic for about 2 years. Retired or semi-retired tradesman were a valuable source of information and great employees. Unfortunately they are all gone now...
        The HD policy on shoplifters is for the employees safety but its got to hurt the morale. The article states that they will be commended for their actions by the city/police.
        Last edited by reConx; 06-19-2008, 01:28 PM.

Comment

When you think of the loss from theft it just doesn't make since they would do something like this. I understand the risk they took and understand the reason HD would have a policy for not wanting them to do this but to fire them seems just not right.

We own about 500 shares of stock with them and it makes you wonder if this type of leadership is why their stock has fallen. Might be worth trading for gas stock.

shup

Comment

After reading the story I can only come away with the impression that Home Depot condones crime and criminal activity. To allow people to come into your business and steal your property is not only stupid but is as immoral as is the act of stealing that property.

I can certainly understand HD's wish to keep their employees free from harm but this policy of non intervention is ludicrous. The persons who should have been fired here is the store manager, his boss and the corporate operations manager.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

People that think, are not the kind of employees that HD wants to employ. Imagine, if their employee new about where the items that we want and pointed us to that direction, we'd be out of there faster than they would want us to be. So when we're looking for something, we might actually grab another item or two to buy.....

Also if you didn't know what to get to do a job and they didn't either, but you asked them anyhow. Imagine, how many more items you would buy thinking this is what you need to do the job. Dumb leading the dumber.....

Yep, H.D. is all about safety thats for sure. 5 people and a forklift, to put up a pile of lumber on the top rack or to take it down. 1 is the operator, 2 takes care of the gate, 1 holding the red flag, and 1 more making sure nothing goes wrong with the operator, no wonder I can never find any one. Add another fork lift in the building, theres goes 10 people.

Oh I could go on and on, but I'll shut up now....
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

we have 3 wall marts in my county and 1 is close to the city . they have the best shoplifter security there ,the get some just about every day and they do hold them until cop get there . i listen to the scanner and the cops are advised if the person is trying to give them a hard time or if they are ok .

a couple years a go i was there shopping there and i had a hard time finding what i wanted so i was walking around a lot and there were people following me and i had an idea who they were .
                Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                  we have 3 wall marts in my county and 1 is close to the city . they have the best shoplifter security there ,the get some just about every day and they do hold them until cop get there . i listen to the scanner and the cops are advised if the person is trying to give them a hard time or if they are ok .

a couple years a go i was there shopping there and i had a hard time finding what i wanted so i was walking around a lot and there were people following me and i had an idea who they were .
                  Were they wearing white coats and carrying a funny looking jacket with straps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                    Were they wearing white coats and carrying a funny looking jacket with straps?
                    no they come and pick me up on the weekends
                    Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Store personell go after shop lifters in the HD near me. The only restriction is they are not allowed to touch the person. They can shout, take license plates numbers etc but, if the shoplifter touches the HD employees all bets are off. Then the employee can respond with physical force.

As big a problem as shoplifting is for the store an equally big problem is the thieves who lurk in the parking lot. They steal tools from contractors unsecured trucks when they are in the store. I try to always remember to lock my vehicle and trailer while shopping.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
                        Store personell go after shop lifters in the HD near me. The only restriction is they are not allowed to touch the person. They can shout, take license plates numbers etc but, if the shoplifter touches the HD employees all bets are off. Then the employee can respond with physical force.
                        I do think that it is stupid for firing the employees, but I also understand why they have the policy; and understand that if they have a policy they probably have to enforce it. The big thing that comes to mind is liability, if either the employee or the shoplifter gets hurt; then HD could get themselves sued. And if they don't have a policy against it, then managers may try to have associates be aggressive to avoid shrink; putting unwilling associates at danger.

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
                        As big a problem as shoplifting is for the store an equally big problem is the thieves who lurk in the parking lot. They steal tools from contractors unsecured trucks when they are in the store. I try to always remember to lock my vehicle and trailer while shopping.
                        This has to be a big problem for landscapers who usually have open trailers or pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                          I do think that it is stupid for firing the employees, but I also understand why they have the policy; and understand that if they have a policy they probably have to enforce it. The big thing that comes to mind is liability, if either the employee or the shoplifter gets hurt; then HD could get themselves sued. And if they don't have a policy against it, then managers may try to have associates be aggressive to avoid shrink; putting unwilling associates at danger.

This has to be a big problem for landscapers who usually have open trailers or pickups.
                          The landscapers who do the grass where I work; have replaced the bungy cords for their gas cans with heavy chains and locks.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post

Years ago when I was in "transition"......I worked for Lowe's as thier plumbing pro. Very degrading job lemme tell ya. Counseling has not helped one bit.

Anyway, the security guard there was fresh out of the marines,.....you know where this is going. lol!

Two thugs walked in the building, walked out with two nail guns each hanging in their low riding sweatpants.....looked ridiculous.

The guard tackled the one guy, the other in the car was already in and could of ran over all of us....

there was a crowd of people gathering and the thoughts of the guard's actions were quickly dividing the group of onlookers to what was necessary and what is not. I was asked to grab the guy and hold him and I flatly refused, leaving the guard to fend for his own because I was in the crossfire of that vehicle starting and running us all over.

The guys were caught before they left the area, but in essence it was a very volatile situation, dangerous for all involved. Guns are most common with thugs so we all took a chance over......4 pneumatic air nailers?

Since that time, the above is not allowed. Thieves have more rights than you know in the above matters and that is a failure of justice.

Defend the criminal and punish the victim? Heard that record play one too many times.

4 months ago I saw the obvious of obvious; a woman walking around and grabbing the most expensive ticketed items that were small and easy to carry, walk right up to the refund desk and exclaim that she didn't have a receipt. They busted her, but just asked her to leave as she left kids in her car during the attempt, figuring she was trying to support her family in a time of crisis. She probably went right next door to another store to repeat the process.

Now, they have a process where you give a name, what card you used and they can backtrack what you've spent/bought/return at all locations.

They still have theft issues.....it's a daily thing in those stores and the cameras do nothing to stop the pilfering. It's all part of store shrink values, all part of quarterly/yearly theft losses that they basically average in as solid numbers to expect due to the cost of doing business.

You wouldn't believe how many times I was called to pick up returns at the return desk and low and behold in the basket of copper fittings, were short pieces of 1/2" and 3/4" pipe pieces that were cut off a 10' length of pipe and returned for that same value, all because the return clerk ran all the fittings with a scanner not paying attention to the higher value, not realizing it was a 10' section one time. The UPC stickers off the 10' sections were the motive to get more money back....especially peeling the sticker off and putting it on other fittings.

Hope I'm not giving anyone any ideas mentioning this.
                            Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 06-20-2008, 10:57 AM.
                            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
                            X